Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:15 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't, but I was making the point that there are concentrates out there. As I stated, they are available locally. That's why you need to read the label. That is the point I'm trying to make...READ THE LABEL!
Point taken but let's not over think this. It's washer fluid. Go to local store and buy a jug and put it in your car. No more thinking/analysis needed. Just like putting air in your tires. Air at gas station is same as your personal air compressor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Point taken but let's not over think this. It's washer fluid. Go to local store and buy a jug and put it in your car. No more thinking/analysis needed. Just like putting air in your tires. Air at gas station is same as your personal air compressor

You totally missed the point. At least one store near me sells washer fluid in concentrate. It comes in one gallon jugs and is blue in color. If you don't read the label you won't know the difference. By reading the label you'll know how to correctly use the product. It's really that simple.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You totally missed the point. At least one store near me sells washer fluid in concentrate. It comes in one gallon jugs and is blue in color. If you don't read the label you won't know the difference. By reading the label you'll know how to correctly use the product. It's really that simple.
Ok. Read the label. But 99% of jugs out there do not need to be diluted.

Common sense: If you are paying $2 for your window washer fluid gallon jug, 100% chance it is not a concentrate but rather just plain old regular windshield washer fluid. Take a quick glance at the label if you want but just go ahead and put it in your car.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Who buys windshield washer fluid from Amazon?

Go to gas station/Walmart/grocery and pick up a jug for $2 and put it in your car. Doesn't get much easier.
Anyone who plans ahead. For one it's about 10% of the price of the pre-diluted jugs. For another, you'll really never need to worry about ever running out again which is perhaps even more important than saving 90% of something that's not that expensive.

Did I do that? No. I bough concentrate locally which was more like 25% of the price and not as concentrated. Still makes more sense than buying the pre-diluted. I use a fair amount of the stuff living in bug central. Employ common sense. Read the label. Way easier in long run to buy something once than keep making repeated trips to a store for something that's 99% water.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What is the proper ratio between water and washer fluid under various conditions? Owner's manual does not say...does it matter as long as there is enough to prevent the mix from freezing (not a concern during summer)?
This may have already been suggested in this long thread but maybe you are getting confused with engine coolant? This is usually 50/50 unless pre-diluted.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
This may have already been suggested in this long thread but maybe you are getting confused with engine coolant? This is usually 50/50 unless pre-diluted.

50/50 is pre-diluted.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Does anyone run just distilled water in the summer?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Does anyone run just distilled water in the summer?

Nope. One morning it will be below freezing and now I have to purge the system and switch over, assuming I didn't have the water freeze up and rupture a hose or fitting. Besides, water doesn't clean as well. At two bucks a gallon, it's way cheaper than Two Buck Chuck. I may use two gallons a year, tops. Very cheap insurance.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
There is a contract washer fluid manufacturer near here that produces washer fluid and cheap vodka in the same mixers. I avoid both.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:44 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
When in doubt, just read the instructions. No matter what it is you are in doubt about, read the instructions.
It really is just exactly that simple: just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive