Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times

Advertisements

I don't see how most people feasibly lease a vehicle with 10K-12K/yr mileage restrictions unless they:

- Work from home.
- Are a retiree who just uses a vehicle to go to the grocery store every weekend.
- Live in a city with public transportation and just use the vehicle for short trips.

I drive 2K miles a month and feel as if I barely go anywhere. 10K a month used to be the norm for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 09:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I don't work from home and only drive 3k (at most) a year. Just because you spend all your time on the road doesn't mean even most people do. Many people also work from home these days, quite a few in my neighborhood do including my wife.

10,000 miles a month at an average speed of even 50 mph yields a time of 200 hours per month spent on the road, or >8 DAYS just in your car. I'm so incredibly happy that isn't our lives.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 AM

82 posts, read 116,376 times
We don't believe in leasing vehicles, we buy them outright, but if we wanted to lease a vehicle with mileage restrictions that would be pretty easy for us as I do work from home most days and when I go into the office it's only 5 miles away. Wife is a SAHM, so her errands are the only things that put miles on a car for her.

Plus, when you have 3 cars for two drivers, splitting the mileage up so none of them rack up the miles is easy.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Most people drive around 1,000 miles a month. I drive more and I lease, but I have an 18,000 mile a year lease.

Again, leasing IS NOT for everyone. If you drive more than I do, leasing is not for you.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I used to put 30k/year on my cars. Then I moved. Now I'm looking more like 4K/year. Having a long commute is such a waste.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I don't see how most people feasibly lease a vehicle with 10K-12K/yr mileage restrictions unless they:

- Work from home.
- Are a retiree who just uses a vehicle to go to the grocery store every weekend.
- Live in a city with public transportation and just use the vehicle for short trips.

I drive 2K miles a month and feel as if I barely go anywhere. 10K a month used to be the norm for me.

You pretty much answered your own query.

Persons lease vehicles for a variety of reasons that suit themselves.

Here in NYC many lease because it allows them to drive more car than they can afford (not all those Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, Infinity, etc.... are outright owned). Also leasing such vehicles allows persons to "walk away" after three years or whatever and not deal with depreciation and or having go trade-in/resale value. Leasing also works for those who feel they *must* have a new vehicle every three or four years.

This being said, yes, NYC is rather a compact place with overall good public transportation. Some only drive on weekends/holidays, others drive every day (to and from work, running errands, etc...).

Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
When we were working, we would drive 27K a year and that's just back and forth to work.

We could never afford to lease a car (to many miles over the lease).

Now that we are retired, I have considered leasing, but I also understand that if I start leasing then I would be stuck leasing for the rest of our lives. A constant monthly payment where as now I have none.

So even in retirement, leasing may not be the best idea. If I buy a new car, at least in 5 years or so I'll still have a new car with very few miles on it, but I will not be making payments any more. And the advanmtage is that we have built some asset value in the car.

So, no I will never lease.

BTW I know several people that have filed for bankruptcy at some point in their lives and leasing was the only why to get a new car. So when I hear some one thinking about leasing I first thing, oh their having money problems.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:13 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
BTW I know several people that have filed for bankruptcy at some point in their lives and leasing was the only why to get a new car. So when I hear some one thinking about leasing I first thing, oh their having money problems.
Unless something has changed in recent years, leasing was something limited to those with good or better credit ratings.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Unless something has changed in recent years, leasing was something limited to those with good or better credit ratings.
Actually bankruptcy may not cause such a huge hit on ability for some to get credit again as you may think. In fact to the eyes of some creditors someone who has recently declared bankruptcy may be a very good candidate; this is because having used that get out of jail card said option is off the table for a long time.

A recent bankruptcy might trigger higher lease rates/down payment, and or certain vehicles may be off limits. That an or the thing may come with a remote "kill switch" and tracker in case payments are late..

Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I used to put 30k/year on my cars. Then I moved. Now I'm looking more like 4K/year. Having a long commute is such a waste.
I recently quit a company because I couldn't stand the long commutes. Not only is it a waste of time, but you're shelling out way more money on not just gas and tolls but maintenance as well. My commuter car has also been my project car, but instead of putting that money into performance parts it's been on lots of maintenance, oil changes, tires, brakes, rotors, axles, coolant flushes, etc.

I could've had a 500hp built motor put in the car with the amount of money I blew commuting the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive