Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,181,722 times

Advertisements

Sap can really stick to paint and not come off with a normal hand wash. You have to clay bar it.

Stay away from trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM

792 posts, read 2,866,568 times
Regular waxing will protect from the sun but sap can be aggressive if you leave it on.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,217,966 times
I don't park under trees. all that stuff gets up into the a/c intake and screws up stuff. Plus those materials can gather down in nooks and crannies you cant see and cause corrosion. I don't like parking out in the full sun but I do keep my car garaged at night which helps despite what some people think.

I also drive a white car which mostly just helps with keeping the car cool inside while the a/c is on.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:27 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,000,796 times
Lots of love in this thread.. Lol

Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM

308 posts, read 497,163 times
I don't like parking under trees.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,243,475 times
i park it anywhere, and just worry about dings so i park with enough space between so morons won't hit the door by accident.. and THAT'S WHY i LEASE a high gas mileage budget car for work. i don't care if it fades, that's not my problem when i return it to the dealership. the beloved cars i own are stored indoors and i don't drive them to work.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 16 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,826,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sunlight does wreak havoc on headlights though.

My last car was black, and I had it 10 years before getting rid of it. The black paint aged well, but the headlights were badly oxidized.

I now park where there is afternoon shade. I'm not directly under the tree, so I don't deal with sap and bird crap, but the last 2-3 hours of the work day, the car is in shade. So when I leave, it's not blazing hot inside.

The nice thing about headlights is they polish out much easier -- and a LOT faster -- than paint. Once they oxidize, however, you'll need to polish them fairly frequently. Unless, of course, you're willing to go the extra mile ad put spray some UV protectant on them.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:09 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I am headquartered in a large multi story office building leased by multiple organizations. My colleagues all park on one side of the building, full of trees. I don't like parking on that side because the tree sap, pollen, various debris, bird droppings, etc result in the need to wash the car more often. Instead, I park on the other side of the building with no trees and walk a further distance to get to my office. Also, one tree fell down close to our building last year.

Recently, someone from another office confronted me and asked why I didn't park on "my side". I told him the above, and he said that long term I am actually doing more damage to my finish and interior by parking in broad daylight.

Now granted, someone in the building complained about the way I leave the property, I still don't know who. So now I only go at a 15 mph snail pace in high gear through the property. I don't know if this guy is trying to scam me or if it is the truth. Thoughts?
Sounds like these fellas either 1) Care about your parking lot etiquette, I can't relate, I wouldn't care OR 2) they just figured a way to talk to you / connect. It doesn't sound like they are being mean. Scam? I'll take my chances with sunlight over any type of tree sap But either way, slow down, park in the sun, on "your" side of the facility. if they keep coming round, you'll know!

Old 06-04-2016, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 8,860 times
Park on the sunny side and invest in a car cover. Especially if you live in Phoenix. If you live in Seattle you don't have much to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive