Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:55 PM

34 posts, read 53,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have never seen anything like that happen anywhere in my 40 years of driving, except for the occasional road rage incident. I suspect you are not driving as fast as you think you are.
"You are not driving as fast as you think you are"...I don't know how that is even possible. I drive with the flow of traffic. My speedometer is accurate as well. And it shouldn't take a genius to know that I wasn't being completely literal about flooring it and sliding off the roadway. Just saying that for me tailgaters are always there no matter the driving style. Even if I speed up to well over the speed limit the tailgater just gets even closer. Some days I encounter multiple *******s like this all in a row and it puts a damper on my mood for the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM

34 posts, read 53,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
...are more important, and have more important things to do than you.........
that's exactly what a tailgater would say.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:34 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluck View Post
"You are not driving as fast as you think you are"...I don't know how that is even possible. I drive with the flow of traffic. My speedometer is accurate as well. And it shouldn't take a genius to know that I wasn't being completely literal about flooring it and sliding off the roadway. Just saying that for me tailgaters are always there no matter the driving style. Even if I speed up to well over the speed limit the tailgater just gets even closer. Some days I encounter multiple *******s like this all in a row and it puts a damper on my mood for the rest of the day.
Give space to the tailgater at the earliest, and then tailgate him. It will help if you drive an SUV or a truck

Old 06-05-2016, 02:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Try going 80 or 85 mph and still find yourself being tailgated on. It's like no matter what you're still going too slow for certain drivers.

Someone will always want to go faster than you, so screw them, and let them pass you as hard as that may seem..

Cars today accelerate quicker, and can easily reach 80 mph extremely fast, so it just exacerbate things and creates speed demons on the freeways.

I know road rage is very bad, and we have all had an experience on the roadways with people either cutting you off, riding your ass, speeding around you and so on. But there was a time where my life was literally in danger because of an impatient and crazy driver on the freeway while my disabled friend was in the car with me.

I almost got side swiped from this one guy and would have crashed if he did hit my car. I let him knew how I felt after we both got off the freeway exit. We exchanged some words at the light, and I told the dude that he came inches from hitting my car and causing me to lose control. Well right before the light turned green, I went straight, and he made a left, I threw a semi full Double Big Gulp cup right into his car since his passenger window was all the way down, and it looked like it splattered everywhere! He was pissed, but the look on his face was priceless

I know that was a dumb move on my part, and something terrible could have happened to me, but I truly felt that both me and my friends life were in danger, and that feeling alone sets off a life or death natural response reaction and your adrenaline kicks in, a fight or flight stressor I suppose.

So sometimes in order for people to stop what they are doing, and or trying to get your point across, especially someone whose driving erratically, is to show those A-Holes that they can't just get away with that kind of behavior and not have somebody call them out on it, or take forcible action. Maybe next time the prick will slow down, or not drive so dangerously which could cause a devastating accident, who knows, but I least he knew that not everybody on the road is going to tolerate such reckless driving habits.

Hopefully he'll drive more sanely next time to avoid any more flying beverages coming his way.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:30 AM

243 posts, read 230,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Instead of getting annoyed with these people, turn the tables and start annoying them. It's so much more fun.
Yup! I just take my foot off the gas when they tailgate me. Eventually they just go around like they should have in the first place. They are just a-holes trying to bully you with their cars. I've been tailgated in the center lane at the speed limit with no other cars around for a half mile at 2:00 in the morning, so obviously it's not about them being held up. It's about gratuitously bullying other drivers.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
For 2 lane rural paved roads, turn off into where the gravel roads meet the paved road and let the traffic behind you go by. After they pass, go back on to the paved road and keep going. I do this all the time because I turn left off of the paved road and I don't want anyone behind me as I approach the turn. If you are blocking people, you are creating a problem.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:45 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Just to mention, the topic is not regarding "Automotive", but is about "Psychology". How people function in everyday situations, and in this case, about one's attitude and behavior when sharing a roadway or walkway. It regards how mental, emotional aspects cause people to make decisions or have urges, such as competing, bulldozing, reacting, rather than having common courtesy and consideration, which seems many topics involve, such as having thoughtless neighbors, coworkers, etc.

It is the difference between how one considers those around them or doesn't. Why? Well, it is complex and has to do with how one is raised to begin with I think, how emotionally balanced, affected by physical health or being influenced by lack of nutrition, using drugs, alcohol, caffeine. (I have a neighbor who is apparently hyperactive, who must think she is "normal", but her forceful, rapid and thoughtless movements cause audible racket for me).

I will notice some in a market with their carts, leaving them in the middle of an aisle or how one may stand right in front of another making a selection, without excusing themselves. I think most will be conscious and considerate of others, but some appear to be only self-aware (or knowingly rude). It would be nice if this did not occur, but I do think that those who had parents influencing them early in how to behave, are those who grow up to be considerate adults.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
There are two types of drivers, Type A and Type B. Type A drivers don’t get tailgated. So you are obviously a Type B driver.

I gave you the solution. If you don’t like being tailgated, speed up, or pull over and stop, or just deal with it. Your argument that the tailgaters will always be there, no matter what is just not reality. If I just keep increasing my speed, pretty soon I’ll be going a 120 mph, and the 90 year old lady in her PT Cruiser will still be on my bumper. No, no, that's not the way it works. Drivers drive the speed they want to or can drive, and they don’t want to have some slow poke driver in front of them. People don’t tailgate you because they want to annoy you. They tailgate you because your slow ass is in their way.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:27 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
Despite the stupid speed limit law, on a 2 lane road, if the speed limit is 55, then I am okay with somebody in front of me going 55. I do not tailgate. I do not tail gate at all unless it's on some highway or interstate and somebody is in the left lane not passing (or passing at an absurdly slow pace). Move over if this is you. Where is your sense of awareness of other drivers or efficiency? People that do this think inwardly about themselves. This is not related to the OP.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Why are we talking about the keep right law? I mentioned that I was talking specifically about single lane backroads. I mentioned nothing about the highway.
people talk about the keep right law, because they DONT READ the entire post. they see tailgating, and road, and automatically assume four lane road. i suspect that some of these people are the very ones that do in fact tailgate people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Give space to the tailgater at the earliest, and then tailgate him. It will help if you drive an SUV or a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Despite the stupid speed limit law, on a 2 lane road, if the speed limit is 55, then I am okay with somebody in front of me going 55. I do not tailgate. I do not tail gate at all unless it's on some highway or interstate and somebody is in the left lane not passing (or passing at an absurdly slow pace). Move over if this is you. Where is your sense of awareness of other drivers or efficiency? People that do this think inwardly about themselves. This is not related to the OP.
right people because tailgating is such a safe driving practice that you dont want others doing it to you, but you are willing to do it to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive