Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 54,034 times

Advertisements

So many people tailgate and follow way too closely for absolutely no reason at all.

I live in an area with mostly single lane backroads (one lane in each direction), no passing zones and very small shoulders. People are just on my ass all the time. Some days it's like every car that gets behind me is tailgating my ass. I drive with the flow of traffic. I don't drive annoyingly slow or inconsistent and I am well versed on the rules of the road. I always keep right except to pass. I know how to drive.

I'm always very conscientious about following distance and not getting close to people's bumpers because I know how much it annoys me. I don't understand why other people on the road cannot have even an ounce of self-awareness. What is so hard about just keeping even just a two car-length distance back? Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask.

Not only driving though. This also happens when you're outside the car, like when you're walking for example. You're just out for a little stroll and then somebody has to walk right behind you practically breathing down your neck..and they refuse to just go around you. I remember I was in the mall one time and some lady is pushing a baby stroller behind me practically hitting the back of my heels with it. And then when I slowed down she nearly rammed me with the stroller and freaked out at me for it. What makes people exhibit these annoying, disrespectful, pushy behaviors? Why can't people just have an ounce of respect and self-awareness? Why doesn't anybody have a concept on personal space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:06 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
It might have to do with the vibes you put out. When I had less confidence and someone was walking in my direction and if no one changed course we would bump smack into each other, I would always sulk and move out of the way, even if I was walking all the way to the right.

Now, people move out of my way, sometimes going all the way across the street to avoid me. Same thing when I drive. After seeing how I accelerate at a traffic light and how fast I make turns, most people give me plenty of space. Even though I don't speed, on Sundays in particular people taking a casual stroll down the road will pull over and let me pass on a one lane road.

Walk, and drive like you have the right to be there. Shape the world in your image.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM

34 posts, read 54,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
It might have to do with the vibes you put out. When I had less confidence and someone was walking in my direction and if no one changed course we would bump smack into each other, I would always sulk and move out of the way, even if I was walking all the way to the right.

Now, people move out of my way, sometimes going all the way across the street to avoid me. Same thing when I drive. After seeing how I accelerate at a traffic light and how fast I make turns, most people give me plenty of space. Even though I don't speed, on Sundays in particular people taking a casual stroll down the road will pull over and let me pass on a one lane road.

Walk, and drive like you have the right to be there. Shape the world in your image.
It doesn't matter how fast I drive. Doesn't matter if I floor it from every green light or taking corners so fast that I'm practically sliding off the roadway. It doesn't. People will still stick to my ass like glue. I could be driving so fast that my tires are burning up and my brake pads are melting and somebody will still be riding my ass acting like I'm not going fast enough.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:50 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Instead of getting annoyed with these people, turn the tables and start annoying them. It's so much more fun.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
most people that tailgate do so because they want to push you into either going much faster, or have you move out of their way. i ignore these people and concentrate on my own driving, and let them deal with the legal issues of rear ending me should that ever happen.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:01 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
most people that tailgate do so because they want to push you into either going much faster, or have you move out of their way. i ignore these people and concentrate on my own driving, and let them deal with the legal issues of rear ending me should that ever happen.
Or you could move right and let them pass like the law tells you to...

Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Or you could move right and let them pass like the law tells you to...
right, move right on a TWO LANE road, aka one lane in each direction. now if we are talking about an interstate highway, and you were in the left lane, i would agree with you.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluck View Post
...Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask....
Two car lengths isn't enough either, not at highway speeds. At 60 mph you're traveling 88 feet per second. If you brake hard because a deer (or kid) runs onto the road, that tailpipe sucker will be in your back seat about 1/2 second after you apply the brakes.

Everybody is in a race. Driving on the highway is a competition. I don't know what it'll take to change that, other than self-driving cars.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Why, because people are azzholes, and are more important, and have more important things to do than you.........

Old 06-04-2016, 08:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluck View Post
So many people tailgate and follow way too closely for absolutely no reason at all.

I live in an area with mostly single lane backroads (one lane in each direction), no passing zones and very small shoulders. People are just on my ass all the time. Some days it's like every car that gets behind me is tailgating my ass. I drive with the flow of traffic. I don't drive annoyingly slow or inconsistent and I am well versed on the rules of the road. I always keep right except to pass. I know how to drive.

I'm always very conscientious about following distance and not getting close to people's bumpers because I know how much it annoys me. I don't understand why other people on the road cannot have even an ounce of self-awareness. What is so hard about just keeping even just a two car-length distance back? Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask.
Certainly you should never tailgate the car in front of you. But if you find yourself in a situation where there are no cars in front of you and a long line of cars behind you, consider driving faster, and see if that solves the problem. Also be aware that if there are more then five cars behind you, you are generally required to pull off somewhere and let them pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive