Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 AM

38,860 posts, read 25,401,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
More distracted too.

So true. Smart phones weren't an issue 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,061,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
There's more traffic crammed into a crumbling infrastructure. Couple that with stressed people working longer hours. All that tension and angst finds an easy outlet out on the road since the driver's in his own cocoon, AKA automobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We also have far safer cars than we did 20+ years ago. And people know it so they feel like they can drive on the edge more because there will be fewer consequences if they screw up. (There are a number of models these days that will have zero fatality years)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
More distracted too.
I think also because we have vehicles that are a lot quicker.

I see it as a mixture of two extremes; Those who take pride in doing it, and the "millennials" who can't wait till autonomous vehicles stop forcing them to get off the phones for a few seconds to keep driving.

Me personally, I pass people one car at a time ALL THE TIME (in my pickup with a v8 and a manual transmission (I am aggressive and enjoy driving but hate other drivers)). Its not to race or to just advance on the next vehicle, but 90% of the time its because they are slow/heavy on the pedals, they can't keep it in the lines, create a big gap in front during rush hour, or driving below the speed limit in the left lane, and nearly every single time, (you all ready know what I'm going to say), its because they have there face in there phone.

I just see it as its the safer thing to do, to put the accident or at least the aggravation behind me.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM

3,656 posts, read 4,787,188 times
I don't know. I kind of think that if we are able to compare driving now vs driving 20 years ago, one can safely assume we've been driving a while. Over the years we might just tend to forget our own stupidity and aggressive ways of driving when we were newer drivers and notice all the bad drivers now because, hopefully, those of us who have been driving for years have improved.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:13 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,479,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
As traffic and congestion continue to get worse because of our rising population it should be no surprise that drivers are getting frustrated. I feel like drivers are becoming more aggressive and impatient. I've had my license for more than 30 years and nothing compares to what I see now. Drivers are doing more inane maneuvers to get around a couple of cars just to shed off 5 seconds off their commute even if they're not in a rush. I don't get it. We're all going and heading in the same direction so why drive like you own the place? It isn't a race and it's not a competition. Nobody is thinking you're cool and it just pisses everyone off. I won't be surprised if it gets worse. Drivers are doing more stupid things on the roads because there's too much to handle. Thoughts?
1) Watch the idiotic car commercials. Trying to convince everyone that "if you buy our car you will be a speed demon and immensely envied by all". Sadly many of the morons watching believe it.

2) Self entitlement and self importance. "I am more important than everyone else and my trip matters more."

3) Cars that are faster and more maneuverable being pushed to their limits.

4) WAYYYYYYY TOO MANY ignorant buttheads with licenses. The general ignorance and small mindedness of the general population has increased at a frightening pace. I would venture to guess that at least 75% of licensed drivers can't remember most rules of the road, especially any involving courtesy.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM

23,327 posts, read 23,723,239 times
For sure, roads are a lot more crowded.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,220,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
and 80 mph speed limits, you can really get places in good time. Beats city driving all to heck!
80 mph? Oh deer.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 AM

281 posts, read 325,175 times
One thing that I find strange during my commute is that people are more in a rush to get to work than to get home.

I figure the only people I see rushing home are either alcoholics or newly-weds...

Old 06-18-2016, 11:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,736,364 times
I get angry when people go under the posted speed limit in perfect driving conditions. Then when you try and skirt around them, they suddenly speed up only to slow back down. I see other drivers accommodate these a-holes. I guess, at the end of the day, I'm just not a "people person ".

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 AM

997 posts, read 996,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
One thing that I find strange during my commute is that people are more in a rush to get to work than to get home.

I figure the only people I see rushing home are either alcoholics or newly-weds...
Newly weds....lol. I remember that.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times
Cars are bigger and faster today, it's harder to keep these cars under the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive