Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times

Advertisements

Guys, I'm not sure if you remember me but I posted before about how I purchased the 2015 Camaro V6 back in March and added the 24 inch chrome wheels.

(( Reasons For Getting V6 And Not V8 ))

The reason I didn't get the V8 was because for the same year range, it would cost $13,000 - $15,000 more, along with higher gas costs and higher insurance costs.

Because I'm getting the car for a daily driver and for looks, and because I'm not doing any racing aspect, I didn't believe that I needed most of the what came with the V8 package to justify spending $13,000 - $15,000 more. I also wasn't about to buy a 2010 Camaro just to say I had a "V8" in it.

(( Better Exhaust Sound ))

But the only aspect of the V8 that had quality to it from MY perspective, was the better, muscular, exhaust sound. So what I want to do is add a performance exhaust system to get this sound and I have come down to a couple of options including the MRTv2, Magnaflow, Borla and Flowmasters.

- I'm in Michigan and 20 minutes away from MRT, so they can install it next week for $725 in total for the system and install.

- Magnaflow and Borla appear to range around $1,700 for the system and install.

Here's some samples of how the exhaust sounds on the 2010 - 2015 Camaros:

MRTv2

Borla

Magna Flow

(( Questions ))

- What do you guys think? Should I go with the MRTv2? Or should I go with Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters, or another option?

- Also should I just put the exhaust system on or should I look at a package such as this one: Camaro V2 Performance Package which includes Cold Air Induction and Catalytic Converters?

- Would having the 24 inch wheels on and adding the exhaust system cause any potential damages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

(( Questions ))

- What do you guys think? Should I go with the MRTv2? Or should I go with Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters, or another option?

- Would having the 24 inch wheels on and adding the exhaust system cause any potential damages?
Get the one you think sounds best. (Personally, I could not justify spending 2.5x as much for Magnaflow or Brola, but that's just me.) Find some one with the same exhaust that's local and hear it that way. How it sounds in person is so much different then how it sounds on your computer speakers. The wheels could cause potential premature wear of all your suspension/brake components. The only other damage the wheels/exhaust will cause is to your resale value. Modified vehicles are much harder to sell then stock, especially when you have extreme size wheels.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:46 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Get the one you think sounds best. (Personally, I could not justify spending 2.5x as much for Magnaflow or Brola, but that's just me.) Find some one with the same exhaust that's local and hear it that way. How it sounds in person is so much different then how it sounds on your computer speakers. The wheels could cause potential premature wear of all your suspension/brake components. The only other damage the wheels/exhaust will cause is to your resale value. Modified vehicles are much harder to sell then stock, especially when you have extreme size wheels.
Got it, for the 24 inch chrome those will only be worn from April - August, I put the stock tires back on in September and keep them on until March. So that's 5 months with the chrome wheels and 7 months with the stock tires. I'm in Michigan so you can't wear those chrome wheels during the Winter as the snow will eat them alive. You also have to watch the potholes/bumps over here as Michigan roads are terrible.....

I'm going to keep this car until around 2022 give or take (or as early as 2021) and do a trade-in rather than private party sell. Also I bought the car and wheels out of pocket, no note/no financing.

I think I'm going with the MRTv2, the appointment with MRT is on Tuesday for me to get it installed. I'm getting this one here which is the MRT v2: 2010-2015 Camaro V6 Axle-Back Exhaust, Version 2.0 Mufflers | MRT

Total for installation and the system is $722.08, that sound pretty good?

This guy here has a 2015 V6 with just the MRTv2 exhaust on it as well, nothing else, check him out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlBNNQGpb8

Old 06-11-2016, 02:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
For about half of that you can have cutouts installed, with an under dash remote. For the V6 the best sound will be from having it wide open. Just don't get caught on the street with them open. I have a Challenger with the V6, and love the 305 horsepower, which is more than enough since I have no thoughts of racing it. As for the sound, I like it as is, sounds good from inside when I jump on it, but quiet enough to enjoy a long highway road trip. I also don't want to disturb the neighbors, since I leave for work at 5am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive