Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,977,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
What's up your ass? I don't like leather. No one LIKES to pay for a car. Just come out and say it that you think you're better than me. Why beat around the bush haha.
It's because you have your mind made up & wasting our time going for pages & pages here. That is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,977,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So learn. It's not that hard, and with the modern internet and forums/YouTube videos for every aspect of it, and local owners groups that can help you out, there's really no excuse, even living in an apartment, for not learning how to wrench on a car. And of course, there's no reason that buying used automatically means it's going to be a headache that breaks a lot.
So true. Internet...with YouTube and forums, I saved a pretty penny. I repaired my snow thrower and my lawnmower this year....all thanks to you youtube. It wasn't rocket science either. All the technical jargon makes everything appear so difficult...un screw ... just remove this...put a new one in, clean it up.....simple.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:28 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,272,715 times
The last time we financed a car was in 1973. Paid for is beautiful.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 PM

422 posts, read 570,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
It's because you have your mind made up & wasting our time going for pages & pages here. That is why.
My opinion is I'd rather have nothing at all than a used car. I haven't bought a new car, because I have heeded all the good advice in here and realized not only can I not afford it, but I don't want the heartache of a potential letdown.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 PM

26,145 posts, read 21,357,522 times
I wouldn't want to be in a place where I was paying more for my car than I was savings for retirement. if you don't know how much money you will need to retire or if you are track for that goal you should forget about a car purchase.

Ps I really want a Jaguar F-Type but it's not happening atleast not this year

Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 PM

318 posts, read 335,135 times
op HERE'S MY STORY I'm 30, it all depends on your budget I was in your shoes a few months ago and finally made a move, Im super cheap, frugal, always looking at the long run and my family, but do like to spend money on experiences and vacations. dislike material things

I have a 2000 toyota camry solid with 130,000 miles on it no problems & paid off of course, good gas milage love the car

but like you its hard seeing people blow by you in the fast lane.

Ive been eyeing the new chevy and gmc sierra for a year, but finally went on and got a new black black sierra texas edition, FACTORY navi chrome wheels & upgraded grill.

MSRP sticker in window was $44,000 got it for $32,000

I shopped around for a week went to every GMC dealer talked them down to get my deal.

the 2015 had 100k mile warranty 2016s now come with only 60K mile warranty so was easy choice to get the discounted 2015

I use to save $2,000 a month now I save $1,500 but it motivates me to move up in my career and also you only live once, you go to work everyday its ok to treat yourself sometimes. but $30K ish was my budget, I don't see my self doing $40-50K for king ranch or denali trucks. Trucks hold good value I wouldn't have spent that much on a car though.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,974,895 times
Well I did spend $18 for a "original look" oil filter for my 74 Impala. Guess you'd call that a splurge. Other than that, I stay pretty cheap. I mean the oil I used was bought at various garage sales for $2.50!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM

3,223 posts, read 3,507,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Don't let the bitterness strangle you forever. Adopt a 5 year plan to buy a 3 year old M3, and stick to it. So your goal would be $50k.

I go from one 5 year plan to the next.....the last 5 year plan extended to 9 year plan....but the result was a classic Italian exotic like I always wanted, a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster

How did a guy of relatively modest means for an Italian exotic get there? EXTRA INCOME, not from sacrificing other things.

I was constantly on my boss about getting overtime ($70,000 over 9 years) and worked weekends on side jobs ($30,000), and sold un-used vacation time back to the company ($20,000).

Now 2.5 years into the next 5 year plan.

I challenge you to devise a realistic plan and start following it
This is the secret. Focus on making more money either through an extra job or getting yourself trained up so you can move to a higher paying position. Also, set the plan to accumulate the money to purchase the device in a certain number of years. What you may find after 3, 5 or 7 years, once you have accumulated the funds, that you don't want to spend it on a vehicle. You may have a wife who wants a bigger house due to impending birth of children, etc.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM

18,475 posts, read 15,422,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
My opinion is I'd rather have nothing at all than a used car. I haven't bought a new car, because I have heeded all the good advice in here and realized not only can I not afford it, but I don't want the heartache of a potential letdown.
Does this mean you have good transit in your city? If so, it is certainly an option to take transit while saving to buy a car in cash.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM

259 posts, read 266,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a place where I was paying more for my car than I was savings for retirement. if you don't know how much money you will need to retire or if you are track for that goal you should forget about a car purchase.

Ps I really want a Jaguar F-Type but it's not happening atleast not this year
Mmmm.. F-Type. If you're going in with lowexpectations, you're going to love it That exhaust note alone is worth putting in some extra overtime at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive