U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 AM

423 posts, read 363,823 times

Advertisements

My realistic dream car is $40k. With TTL, I'd probably walk out of the dealer owing 43k, assuming zero down. I see a lot of people driving 40-50k vehicles who I know for a fact don't make 100k+ to be able to afford the car.

What do you car guys who have a smaller income do? I've wanted an expensive car for years, but so far I've held out and not splurged on it. The payment would be 5-600 per month, which is more than I'm putting towards my retirement. I also have a mortgage at 4%, so it would be more prudent to make double payments if I simply need to spend money. It's really hard to be a car guy when the majority of fun and sporty cars cost an arm and a leg.

Does anyone else feel like me, where used cars just aren't satisfying the itch, but you are still prudent enough to not drop 40k on a car and have that debt around your neck?

As for people who will say there are fun cars for cheap, that's probably true. The 2 cars I've always wanted are expensive.
Subaru wrx sti
BMW m3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,397,418 times
Drive and live within your means. You will be better off in the long run!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 5,744,709 times
What's a new car offer that a used one won't? I could have a lot more fun in a $6k Miata at an autocross vs. polishing the fenders on some shiny crap with 84 payments left.

I'd still have money left over for a steak dinner each week to boot.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f rog lipz View Post
Drive and live within your means. You will be better off in the long run!
That's what I've been doing. I've had my license for 18 years, but never had a car I loved. As a car guy, that can eat you up inside. As bitter as I sometimes get, I'm sure a $600 payment is worse. It's a never ending battle.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What's a new car offer that a used one won't? I could have a lot more fun in a $6k Miata at an autocross vs. polishing the fenders on some shiny crap with 84 payments left.

I'd still have money left over for a steak dinner each week to boot.
I'm not the best with a wrench, and the 2 cars I truly want are far from reliable. I'd buy either and keep them for 8-10 years, until the miles piled up and the car became a money pit. I've driven cheap 5-10k cars my entire life, and it just doesn't give me the feeling I selfishly seek. I'm a great manager of money, but it's hard standing on the sidelines watching people drive by in my dream car while I'm in the slow lane in a 15 year old car.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
That's what I've been doing. I've had my license for 18 years, but never had a car I loved. As a car guy, that can eat you up inside. As bitter as I sometimes get, I'm sure a $600 payment is worse. It's a never ending battle.
Look for what are important features in a sports car and narrow down a list of nice used cars that have the attributes you want at the price you can afford.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Look for what are important features in a sports car and narrow down a list of nice used cars that have the attributes you want at the price you can afford.
I've wanted a Subaru since the wrx arrived in 2002
I've wanted an m3 nearly as long

There are tons of affordable and fun cars, but these are the only 2 I truly want. A car isn't just a way from point a to point b for me. I have a passion for cars, even though I'm not exactly a mechanic. If I were single I'd happily eat Ramen to afford either of them. Someone who thinks a Toyota camry is just as good as an m3 won't understand. I'm not into restaurants that cost $100 per plate, but to some people it's worth it to them.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:

There are tons of affordable and fun cars, but these are the only 2 I truly want. A car isn't just a way from point a to point b for me. I have a passion for cars, even though I'm not exactly a mechanic. If I were single I'd happily eat Ramen to afford either of them. Someone who thinks a Toyota camry is just as good as an m3 won't understand. I'm not into restaurants that cost $100 per plate, but to some people it's worth it to them.
Here is a nice M3 convertible for $17k BMW M3 2 Door | eBay

Old 06-11-2016, 11:20 AM

284 posts, read 134,628 times
Quote:

If your budget is $43K, you can get a brand new STI or a few year old M3.

I am not much of a cur guy so don't spend too much on them. I do like nice reliable cars and usually buy 3-4 year old models and keep them for another 8-10 years.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Nothing wrong with that car, but I personally would love to buy a brand new one. I want that new car feeling, so I can document every mile and service. I know all about depreciation, which is why I've never pulled the trigger.

How much money would a guy have to make to buy a 40k car and not have it even dent his budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or