Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:29 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,499 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Looks like this is the one that Walmart has for $4.88. Assuming there is no sealer in it (doesn't look like it does).

Speed Steed R-134a Auto Air Conditioning Refrigerant, 12 oz - Walmart.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I've never thought of Walmart for buying it, I usually go to Autozone and pay a lot more. Thanks, I will be going to WM from now on.

A customer at work asked me the other day why our 2 cycle oil was more than what WM charges. I told him "Because they buy stuff by the train load !

Don

Old 06-18-2016, 05:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
No but it is physics.
You seem like someone who likes to do this sort of thing. Do yourself a favor and learn how to do it correctly. You and whoever you do things for will appreciate it.
I'm aware of how to do it properly.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
2006 GMC Sierra. My air conditioning isn't throwing any cold air, mainly because the compressor isn't coming on.

I realize that there is a low pressure switch that prevents it from coming on when the system is too low on refrigerant.

Will adding a small amount of refrigerant, without the compressor running, enable it to come on so that it can be refilled to the correct pressure?

Thanks

Well, try it. And let all know.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:29 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm aware of how to do it properly.
According to your posts you are not.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
According to your posts you are not.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/44462207-post9.html

I clearly spell out the correct way to do it in this post.

Here's a good tutorial I wrote over seven years ago

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Jetta-GLX-VR6

Old 06-18-2016, 08:38 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
The chance of actually ending up with the exact proper charge using the "tap-a-can" method is very slim. Sometimes the kit has a suction gauge but this does little to ensure correct charge due to multiple variables.

Putting the system on an AC machine to be evacuated and the recovered refrigerant weighed will determine if low refrigerant is even what is wrong with the system. The vacuum process will perform a basic test for a gross leak and remove any moisture that has intruded, then recharging to factory specified weight of refrigerant using the machine is the last step.

Anything less than this and if you are lucky the AC may work half-ass, but almost certainly not optimally because it won't have the correct charge.

We see them still essentially empty, or we see them grossly overcharged greatly stressing the compressor, cooling system and everything else.

Don in Austin

Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I have a truck which blows warm start of every summer compressor shaft seal leaks. I top it off with a lb or so I measure it with my AC scale and a 30lb tank I use. I just don't want to bother with fixing it we aren't going to keep the truck anyway. It blows about 40 degrees for all summer long. The compressor makes some noise so probably needs to be replaced ill just sell it let the buyer know. If you don't know how to work on your AC other then adding a can I would just take it to a shop unless your willing to learn. Lots of information online I learned how to rebuild a automatic transmission just from online information.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The chance of actually ending up with the exact proper charge using the "tap-a-can" method is very slim. Sometimes the kit has a suction gauge but this does little to ensure correct charge due to multiple variables.

Putting the system on an AC machine to be evacuated and the recovered refrigerant weighed will determine if low refrigerant is even what is wrong with the system. The vacuum process will perform a basic test for a gross leak and remove any moisture that has intruded, then recharging to factory specified weight of refrigerant using the machine is the last step.

Anything less than this and if you are lucky the AC may work half-ass, but almost certainly not optimally because it won't have the correct charge.

We see them still essentially empty, or we see them grossly overcharged greatly stressing the compressor, cooling system and everything else.

Don in Austin

An automotive system is not a cap tube refrigerator and dosent require a specific charge to operate properly. The Nameplate charge is the Calculated minimum charge that will allow the A/C to operate between 50F and 125F. It is a EPA required calculated minimum charge. It makes it easy for the tech but it is not absolutely necessary. Depending on the vehicle the nameplate charge can be any where between 12 and 120 oz.
The vast majority or auto A/C systems that operate poorly are because of people putting either dye or stop leak or improper or too much oil in them instead of spending a little time to find the real leak or the correct oil.

Of course it is best to do it the right way. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with throwing a can of 134 into the system to see if it works or has a major leak.
You are much better knowing what you need before going out to get something fixed than going completely unprepared.

Even happens to me. Last year I was out of town and my wifes A/C stopped working in her jeep.
She took it into the local garage and they told her she needed a new compressor. $1300. SHe decided to wait for me to come home and it was nothing more than a cracked plug on the electrical harness to the clutch. $6.00 for the part and 30 minutes to fix. And of course the $75 minimum to the shop.

I used to have a shop that rebuilt compressors. Did many thousands of Auto A/C compressors.
The vast majority of the compressors had nothing wrong with them. Probably 65% or so. 25% had bad clutches and only about 10% were actually broke. Of that 10% , about 10% had oil issues( mainly burnt or melted center balls and gear sets), 30% had Valve plate issues. (Mainly clogged up with stop leak), and the rst had some sort of mechanical failure.

My point is that it is difficult to break a auto A/C compressor. Most are not broken when replaced.
The vast majority of the ones that were actually broken were broke by the guy working on them.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:58 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yes it will pull it in. As long as you are filling the LP side and it's before the dryer you're fine. Turn the can upside down and raise it above and the refrigerant will flow in. You *might* have to jump the LP switch but most likely not.

Don't worry about adding the oil mix, as long as you don't replace a component it hasn't leaked out in significant quantities to be of consequence.

Turning a can upside down will sometimes introduce liquid refrigerant directly into the section port of the compressor. This can damage some compressors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive