Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:50 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is a terrible list, pardon me my biased opinion. Also as you do not like Toyota, you need to scratch the actually ones and only GOOD cars on your list - Lexus.
That being said, if you want to have a GOOD car, RELIABLE as you intend to keep it for years, you, unfortunately, are cornered into exactly what you do not like - Toyota. Specifically Lexus. Which I actually find my 12 HiHy to be better car than wife's 11 RX350.
So you either buy reliable car to keep for years = Lexus, or you buy trouble to fix for years.
Remark for nt caring about gas prices is good up to what price actually? 3 bucks? 4? How about 5? As I have seen many that said that only to come back and start ranting about bad gas mileage and gas prices going up. Beware what you asking for.
Right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The Cadillac auto start/stop can be disabled. I thought many makes did that as well.

My understanding is that you have to disable it every time you start the car - there is no way to push a button and have it stay disabled the next time you start it.

In a Chevy Malibu rental I had, I noticed that if you come to a stop, keep one foot on the brake, and immediately rev the gas pedal slightly, the auto stop will not come on, but that's still annoying.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
OP, I'm with you. Everything was fine when we had steel dashboards, non-telescoping steering columns, no seat belts (even as optional equipment), and leaded gas.

I'm not talking about old cars like that. I'm talking about 2015-2016 cars that do not yet have the changes that many automakers are now introducing. Not sure if you're serious or sarcastic.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is a terrible list, pardon me my biased opinion. Also as you do not like Toyota, you need to scratch the actually ones and only GOOD cars on your list - Lexus.
That being said, if you want to have a GOOD car, RELIABLE as you intend to keep it for years, you, unfortunately, are cornered into exactly what you do not like - Toyota. Specifically Lexus. Which I actually find my 12 HiHy to be better car than wife's 11 RX350.
So you either buy reliable car to keep for years = Lexus, or you buy trouble to fix for years.
Remark for nt caring about gas prices is good up to what price actually? 3 bucks? 4? How about 5? As I have seen many that said that only to come back and start ranting about bad gas mileage and gas prices going up. Beware what you asking for.

I know Toyota owns Lexus. I've driven a couple of new Toyota models and they felt "cheap" to me. I didn't like the Lexus ES350 either. The IS350 and GS350 I liked.

Premium gas is about $2.75 per gallon where I live. I would not feel any meaningful financial pain unless it went over $10 per gallon.

I like the used LS460 suggestion another poster made...will look into that.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Why worry about future technology, it will happen with or without you being accepting of it.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The bolded is probably the biggest factor.

That said, the Impala can be had with a V6 and the 4cyl is normally aspirated. Mated to their 6spd it doesnt rev that high at all.

Yes it was. But the fact that the Ford still came standard with a 6 that has 100 more horses than the Chevy's standard 4, and not having to hunt down who had an Impala with the optional 6, that was a big factor. The Impala is a sweet ride, but that 4 banger in such a big car just turned me off.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Between the 1972 and 1973 model years, the federally mandated changes were so drastic, a lot of people bought 1972 cars intending to keep them forever, to never get involved in the new federal requirements. But only some of those people actually did enough maintenance on their 1972's to be able to keep them much longer than usual.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I know Toyota owns Lexus. I've driven a couple of new Toyota models and they felt "cheap" to me. I didn't like the Lexus ES350 either. The IS350 and GS350 I liked.

Premium gas is about $2.75 per gallon where I live. I would not feel any meaningful financial pain unless it went over $10 per gallon.

I like the used LS460 suggestion another poster made...will look into that.
Test drive a Acura MDX. You won't buy a Lexus.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 AM

188 posts, read 662,635 times
Buy a cheaper car :P. My $20K 2015 Crosstrek has a spare tire and a manual transmission.. At 50K you'll get all sorts of bells and whistles!!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
IMO, there are two good cars on this list, and they're both Toyotas. The GS will get you the most car for your dollar out of that list, considering all things including low cost of ownership, longevity, and resale value.

Since you're considering Toyotas already, and are also considering a FWD platform, check out the Avalon and the Lexus ES350. Both are nice vehicles (both are FWD). I'm pretty sure that the ES is within your budget new, and the Avalon definitely is. I'm sure you have reasons for not listing them here, but they're worth a look if you don't object to a FWD platform.

The LS460 is a massive car, front engine, rear drive, and you could have it for a really long time. So if your objective is getting one of the last "normal" cars, a used LS is a great car to consider. Again, just my opinion. I know there is more to buying a car than other peoples' opinions.
The Avalon and Lexus are on the same platform. The hybrid models are basically the same. You get more bells and whistles from the Lexus brand. Both are great cars with few problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive