Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times

Advertisements

I know it probably depends on the cause (which hasn't been determined) but how much damage is just leaving it alone going to cause? My issue with repair isn't the potential cost its that the vehicle runs great otherwise and I am big on the if it's not broken don't mess with it due to previous vehicles that ran worse after tune ups ect (professionaly done).

The misfire only happens occasionally unless driven aggressively which causes it to happen more often and to be more pronounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
you are going to have worse fuel economy, higher emissions, and that usually means fuel washing down the cylinder walls and removing the oil layer creating more wear in the affected cylinders, as well as getting fuel in the oil and reducing its lubricating qualities, thus increasing wear in the whole engine.

in addition with modern cars, a misfire is indicative of other possible issues with various systems.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Exactly what do you mean by missfire? What car is it?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I know it probably depends on the cause (which hasn't been determined) but how much damage is just leaving it alone going to cause? My issue with repair isn't the potential cost its that the vehicle runs great otherwise and I am big on the if it's not broken don't mess with it due to previous vehicles that ran worse after tune ups ect (professionaly done).

The misfire only happens occasionally unless driven aggressively which causes it to happen more often and to be more pronounced.
In my experience, it will slowly get worse, and the cost to fix it go up fast. That's how it went for us. We had the engine light come on in January. It still ran beautifully and smooth. However, several mechanics said it would cost over a $1000 to diagnose since the problem was inside the engine. It was not something simple like the coil, plugs, wires or a vacuum leak. We fixed all the easy stuff. By August when we were due for our inspection, it was obvious that there was a misfire. it had progressed from what it was in January, when we could not feel it, to where it was obviously misfiring. We ended up dumping that car,because the estimates were now at $3000 or more. That is our experience. I know it's not the same for everybody, but I wouldn't ignore it if I were in your situation.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
Plug in a scan tool and look for codes (active & stored). Could be as simple as bad plugs or coils.

Prolonged misfire can wreak havoc on catalytic converter$.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
A misfire will eventually turn into a backfire. Then someone may think you're shooting at them. Maybe a cop or gang member. You could be headed for some serious doo-doo unless you get it fixed.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I kept getting a CEL on a half ton truck I had. The code indicated #1 cylinder misfire. The only time it was noticeable was at idle. I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. No change. I ran injector cleaner in the fuel system, no change. I had a comprehensive diagnostic done, including compression test and leak down test. The result was bad exhaust valve in #1 cylinder.
A pair of rebuilt heads would have been about $600 plus labor and gaskets (No, it would be ridiculous to just replace one!).
I drove the truck for many months, towed trailers, went on trips of several hundred miles one way. The problem did not get worse. In fact, nothing happened. The CEL would come on if I allowed it to idle too long, then eventually it would go out.
I sold the truck for $2500. A guy drove all the way up from Southern Wyoming to get it, even after I told him of the problems. He didn't even argue about the price!
My point is, all the dire consequences described by the doomsayers MIGHT happen, but probably not.
But then, I am jus' a dumb ol' retired mechanic, what do I know!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I don't see any advantage in ignoring it, could be as simple as needing a set of spark plugs or a bad coil pack. If it's an oddball situation like Redraven's, once you figure out that this is the case, in that special case you might ignore it.

When you mention the misfire gets worse with hard acceleration, that makes me think it may be ignition related.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Its a 98 Wrangler with 130k on it.
Its misfiring on the 5th cylinder.
It passed smog but the check engine light comes on for a bit if it rains then goes off maybe 4 miles later.
Fuel pump replaced
Plugs replaced

No other issues, wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country, it runs really strong.

Usually the misfire is like a single hiccup, ocassionally it's BAD and usually happens 3 times like bang surge bang surge bang declining in intensity then its back to running smoothly.
None of this activates the check engone light.

*there is an exhaust leak in the muffler.

I don't know if any of this is helpful?

Last edited by SoHoVe; 07-06-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Try replacing the plug wires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive