Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

One Organization Offers Regulated Track to Simulate The Rush.

Movies like "The Fast and the Furious," along with video games, have tapped into the popularity of street drag racing -- but a deadly crash this weekend highlighted the dangers of the illegal sport.

ABC News: With 8 Dead, Drag Racing Gets Hard Look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 AM

80 posts, read 87,926 times
street racing not for kids

for Pro only

thankx Bro

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Life is tough, it's tougher if you are stupid.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
This is a very misleading news story. The deaths were not really related to street racing. Had a car that was racing actually plowed into these people I could see their point but this is not what happened.

Had these people been standing in the parking lot after an NFL game and were run over, would the deaths be blamed on NFL Football?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is a very misleading news story. The deaths were not really related to street racing. Had a car that was racing actually plowed into these people I could see their point but this is not what happened.

Had these people been standing in the parking lot after an NFL game and were run over, would the deaths be blamed on NFL Football?
True nuff but these folks should have learned from mother "don't play in the street. I mean watching a race is fine but why would you run out on to the road like a FOOL? When people watch races at the drag track, they don't run out of the stands on to the strip after the cars take off. When people do STUPID things then bad results will sometimes follow. I really do not have a problem with the races as long as they take it to a rural road or an industrial area with no traffic. I am not saying it is good but most of us have taken our cars out somewhere to "see what it will do". Just don't be dumb about it.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
True nuff but these folks should have learned from mother "don't play in the street. I mean watching a race is fine but why would you run out on to the road like a FOOL? When people watch races at the drag track, they don't run out of the stands on to the strip after the cars take off. When people do STUPID things then bad results will sometimes follow. I really do not have a problem with the races as long as they take it to a rural road or an industrial area with no traffic. I am not saying it is good but most of us have taken our cars out somewhere to "see what it will do". Just don't be dumb about it.
I agree that the people do share some of the blame for being in the middle of the road. I just don't agree with the media's intent on making this out to be a "death by streetracing" incident.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Life is tough, it's tougher if you are stupid.
As the saying goes, "Stupid should hurt."

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
not that i would ever, ever encourage street racing, but drunk driving still causes more deaths and destruction yet recieves a small fraction of the street racing media coverage. when's the last time drunk driving got "a hard look?" i think that's got to do with all the people in power being drunks

Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
We lost 3 of my sons very best friends just over a year ago here in my hometown. The 3 were in a car racing with another. One racer lost control of his car, went over the centerline of the roadway and crashed into a school bus minivan comming from the opposite direction and killed the 68 year old women who was driving, and critically injured the 13 year old passenger. Now the lady in the van wasn't racing but she is now dead because of a street race. The other racer and his two passengers had to witness three of their friends burn to death because of street racing (he was 17 and the passengers were 16).The people that died in Maryland "Most Definitely" died due to street racing. They weren't driving the cars, but they weren't out for a pre dawn stroll either. They were there to watch the race (cause and effect). Bottom line is if you race on the street your a "JACKASS" and you deserve everything you get when you get caught. There are plenty of raceways across this country where you can race in a relative safe environment and knock your brains out.

Last edited by exhdo1; 02-18-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The people that died in Maryland "Most Definitely" died due to street racing. They weren't driving the cars, but they weren't out for a pre dawn stroll either. They were there to watch the race.
Sorry, but I disagree. If these people were waiting for the bus and were hit, would they have died as a result of the city bus service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive