U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM

4,431 posts, read 3,159,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's not true. The remote starter has several ways to prevent the vehicle from being driven. If the car has an automatic transmission, the only way to put it in gear is by pressing the brake pedal and moving the shifter to drive. But since the key is not in the ignition switch, the soonest one steps on the brake pedal, the engine shuts down. Remote starter are widely used throughout Alaska and Canada, or any other place where it gets cold.
The fear isn't that thieves will take the car but rather think it's an easy target since the engine is running already. The possible damage from the process of them trying to get into your "easier" targeted car is enough for me to never do it. If it is a highly desirable car and they think all they have to do is gain access to the inside to drive off I'm sure they'll try almost anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:25 PM

16,199 posts, read 27,610,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The fear isn't that thieves will take the car but rather think it's an easy target since the engine is running already. The possible damage from the process of them trying to get into your "easier" targeted car is enough for me to never do it. If it is a highly desirable car and they think all they have to do is gain access to the inside to drive off I'm sure they'll try almost anything.
No. It's not an easier target. Remote starters are designed to immediately turn off when the brake pedal is tapped or pressed, exactly like the SET feature of the cruise control of your vehicle.

An easier target would be to leave the key in the ignition switch. The remote starter is completely independent from the security (engine disabling) of your vehicle. It can be tied to the security system, but it does not conflict with it and has its own fail-safe circuits.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The truth be spoken View Post
There is reason the radiator is up front. Air needs to pass across it. The fan is okay, but cannot make the same flow as when driving. I would not let my vehicle idle for too long.
The radiator is up front, and if the vehicle is stopped the cooling fan pulls air through the radiator's passages, much like when the vehicle is moving at high speed. It makes no difference. The fan for you vehicle is designed to pull all the air that's needed to pass though the air passages. It's measured in CFMs, and it's part of a motor cooling-system design. Newer automobiles use electric cooling fans, and only when the coolant temperature reaches a certain point that the fan turns on to draw air through the radiator's passages. The only way for the motor to overheat past the red line is if there is a malfunction in the cooling system (low fluid, bad pump, sensors or fan not working, coolant pressure, leaks, and so on), or exceeding the towing capacity of the vehicle.

Lets say that you are stuck in traffic for two hours, but moving slowly at perhaps 3 miles per hour. Do you just turn your car off in the middle of the road? There isn't air moving through the radiator's passages at 3 MPH other than the air being drawn by the fan.

Another example: a large generator with a gasoline or diesel motor that uses antifreeze for cooling. The radiator is at one end of the motor, and the fan is designed to draw more than the amount of air needed for the motor's safe temperatures. The generator can run for hours and hours without overheating. The fan of an automobile is designed to do the same for the automobile. That's why the motor on the fire-fighting trucks are left idling when fighting fires, regardless of ambient temperatures. The police, bus and taxi drives, and so on, do the same.

The only thing you are doing to the automobile if idling for extended periods is "maybe" wearing the motor and attached components a little (and that's maybe, since we don't know).

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-16-2016 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 04:40 PM

8,326 posts, read 4,551,680 times
i have idle my truck for eight hours and more, less than a gallon

Old 07-16-2016, 09:05 PM

4,431 posts, read 3,159,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. It's not an easier target. Remote starters are designed to immediately turn off when the brake pedal is tapped or pressed, exactly like the SET feature of the cruise control of your vehicle.

An easier target would be to leave the key in the ignition switch. The remote starter is completely independent from the security (engine disabling) of your vehicle. It can be tied to the security system, but it does not conflict with it and has its own fail-safe circuits.
Thief doesn't know that. To them a running car is an easier target than one not. Even if they don't drive away with your car the attempt at trying to get in your car could do enough damage (damaged locks, Windows, frames, etc). Your remote start kill system is great for prevention of total car thefts but won't prevent attempted thefts because the thief is none wiser about said remote kill system. All he/she knows is there is an unattended running car there and that in itself is an easier target then a non-running car.

And having a running car may just be enough motivation for them to try to get in vs the next car that isn't running. Thus the reason for many car puffer laws

Last edited by IShootNikon; 07-16-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Thief doesn't know that. To them a running car is an easier target than one not. Even if they don't drive away with your car the attempt at trying to get in your car could do enough damage (damaged locks, Windows, frames, etc). Your remote start kill system is great for prevention of total car thefts but won't prevent attempted thefts because the thief is none wiser about said remote kill system. All he/she knows is there is an unattended running car there and that in itself is an easier target then a non-running car.

And having a running car may just be enough motivation for them to try to get in vs the next car that isn't running. Thus the reason for many car puffer laws
Maybe where you live at that's the case. Where I live at, during the winter months there are lots of cars idling at the supermarket parking lots. The ones that usually get stolen are the ones people leave the key in the ignition switch, because that's what thieves look for. In that case all the thief has to do is to break a window to get in the car, and drive away. It makes no sense to brake the window of a locked car a thief can't drive.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 AM

12,611 posts, read 19,063,189 times
I think it WAS true that thieves didn't know about immobilizes, but I don't think it's true anymore. They did do damage to cars but were defeated by the immobilizer. Not anymore. They're smarter than that.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,845,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Source?
https://www.edf.org/climate/reports/idling

As an example this site shows trucks using ~ 1 gal per hour and cars less, obviously dependent on model mileage and other factors including a/c or accessories running. In law enforcement we anticipate a vehicle idling at a crash scene or investigative site with lights and accessories running, dual batteries charging, and a/c on (Texas gets warm) so we use the highest estimates. Generally not too far off when we go back and crunch the numbers.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 AM

361 posts, read 249,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I had a friend of mine lose power in her house during the winter a few years ago. No fireplace either, so it was extremely cold. The whole city was covered in ice, it was impossible for most people to get out, so she went into her garage (which is detached, not sealed so no worries of carbon monoxide poisoning) and turned on her car and slept in her car all night with the heater on.

Now under different circumstances this might have harmed the car, but when it's 20 degrees outside, the car wasn't going to overheat just sitting there, plus running the heater. Went through about half a tank of gas, or 7-8 gallons.
Your friend dodged a bullet. Any leak in the exhaust could have easily accumulated in the car and gassed her overnight. Just use an extra comforter....

Old 11-23-2018, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Your friend dodged a bullet. Any leak in the exhaust could have easily accumulated in the car and gassed her overnight. Just use an extra comforter....
It' true. My friend has died a few years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or