U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 02:08 PM

2,800 posts, read 741,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohnsmitt View Post
It' true. My friend has died a few years ago...
If you leave the garage door open a little that’s no chance of carbon monoxide from the vehicle exhaust, some semi trucks leave their engines on all through the winter never shutting them down and the drivers sleeping in their sleepers. Same thing with a gasoline vehicle as long as their is fresh air and enough space to exhaust the vehicle to the outside you can sleep in the vehicle. People have been doing it for decades I’ve even done it in the summer when it’s hot and humid out and the power went out in the house and had a power outage. I’m not about to freeze or sweat I’ve slept in my vehicle many times it’s the idiots who don’t open a garage door or crack the vehicles windows who kill them self by accident or through suicide.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,824,166 times
Most of my gas vehicles I’ll idle for a few minutes to warm it up. I will let it idle for a minute if it’s a turbo and shutting it off. On my dieselsi let the trucks get warmed up. That could take up to 5 minutes. On shutdown I idle for a few minutes letting temps come down especially if I came off a freeway or towing heavy.
Other than that it would have to be a extraordinary situation to let my car idle for 60/80 minutes waiting for someone. It’s a huge waste of fuel

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

609 posts, read 137,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it WAS true that thieves didn't know about immobilizes, but I don't think it's true anymore. They did do damage to cars but were defeated by the immobilizer. Not anymore. They're smarter than that.
Thieves are not smart. They are opportunistic.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

12,611 posts, read 19,063,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Thieves are not smart. They are opportunistic.
Which is smart.

Old Today, 01:38 AM

2,398 posts, read 882,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Rule of thumb is 1 gallon per hour of idle.
Really? So if I'm going down the road at 60 mph and I get 30 mpg, using 2 gallons, half my gas is not productively motive?

Old Today, 04:25 AM

5,284 posts, read 3,794,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Really? So if I'm going down the road at 60 mph and I get 30 mpg, using 2 gallons, half my gas is not productively motive?
Probably, typically gas engines are only around 20% fuel efficient, so in reality you're using 2 gallons where theoretically only 2/5 of a gallon (3 pints) is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or