Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:12 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
AGAIN it has to match the other tires on the vehicle if it's a AWD vehicle.
Yes, as in same size: width, hieght, diameter, does not apply to minamum amount of tires you can buy for it. You can buy one(1) tire for any vehicle, I don't see any place requiring two tires, or a whole set, just because an awd car has a single flat. It can be a damn snow tire, as long as it's the same exact size as the all.comditions they usually have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
On tire safety...

Every Police officer in the Province of Ontario has been issued with a tire tread depth measuring device. It is small , fits into a pocket or pouch on their vest. The minimum tread depth here is 3/32 of an inch. Les than that the car is un plated and has to undergo a complete safety inspection and pass it, before the plates can be reclaimed.

The tire depth measuring device takes no special training to use and very little time to use it. No mechanical experience is required and it is either a pass or a fail. It is a way to make sure that cars and trucks here are meeting the standards for safe operation.

JiM B.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Around my area you have a lot of old full size trucks that have been jacked up 2 feet. New large trucks have low bumpers so they are crash compatible with small cars. Those old trucks that have been height modified just everyone else on the road in grave danger, not to mention increased roll over risk for the driver, who usually drives them like a Corvette.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
On tire safety...

Every Police officer in the Province of Ontario has been issued with a tire tread depth measuring device. It is small , fits into a pocket or pouch on their vest. The minimum tread depth here is 3/32 of an inch. Les than that the car is un plated and has to undergo a complete safety inspection and pass it, before the plates can be reclaimed.

The tire depth measuring device takes no special training to use and very little time to use it. No mechanical experience is required and it is either a pass or a fail. It is a way to make sure that cars and trucks here are meeting the standards for safe operation.

JiM B.
I just use a penny. ♫ If you can see space between Lincoln's head and the tread you could end up dead. ♫

Old 08-25-2016, 06:07 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
On tire safety...

JiM B.

They need to do it here as well. I know they just put in effect a law here (Denver) about thread depths in the winter and/or having snow tires. Fines are extremely high. Hopefully it will help stop idiots driving without the correct tires on the snowy highways. Accidents here can completely close down a major national highway due to these situations.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to addressing unsafe vehicles.

Colorado used to require annual safety inspections but there was so much fraud that the state discontinued the program.

Many shops would use the inspection as a lever to force customers to buy repairs and services that were not necessary.

Other consumers would just find a shop that would approve the safety sticker regardless of the condition of the car.

If you think it's not a problem just go through any Wal-Mart parking lot and look at all the "bald eagle" tires.

I replace my tires when the tread depth reaches 4/32 inch because I live in snow country and stopping is a huge concern. I also put winter tires on my daughter's car because she works as a nurse and has to be at work regardless of the weather.

I wish all drivers were responsible and maintained their vehicles to a safe condition. But that won't happen.

The problem is that people are really under financial stress and don't have an extra $700 for a set of new tires. I've noticed that some shops now even sell used tires.

The problem is that most people really need a car but too many really cannot afford it. Our public transportation is not a reasonable alternative to driving.

Personally, I just try to stay away from areas that have a lot of low income people and I don't drive when the weather is ugly.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have had probably a dozen tire blow outs over my lifetime. Accidents from tire blow outs: 0. I have stopped at 30 - 40 accident sites over my lifetime to see if anyone needed help. Number of accidents I have seen from tire blow outs: 0.

My kids have all had one or more tire blow outs I think, maybe except one. Number of accidents from tire blow outs: 0.

I have been in a 6-10 accidents over the years and as mentioned stopped at many others. 80% of the cause - someone did not stop when they should have either ran a stop sign, followed too close, jammed the brakes in snow or rain, or not paying attention. The rest fall into either people went out of their lane, or mechanical failure (like brakes failing).

Worn tires can affect your ability to stop and to stay in your lane, however if you are a competent driver you accommodate for any imperfect conditions of your car (including tires) and leave more space, or whatever needs to be done. You can safely drive a car on a space saver spare for a considerable distance (hundreds of miles) if you slow down and accommodate for the imbalance between wheels. You can drive for a while on a nearly flat tire, or on tires with belts showing, or tires with a broken belt. While I do not advocate running tires down to the belts, I think people obsess over tires way more than warranted. They should instead focus on their brakes and their brains. I know people who berate others for not buying new tires every year and then drive around staring at their cell phones. I will take the old tire people over the texters any day of the week.

In my youth and all of my children have drive old worn out cars that have a value of no more than $1000 or less at times. My son drives a car we cheerfully refer to as "the death trap" He will replace it when he can afford it (and/or when i can afford to help him buy something a bit better), but until then, he simply remains aware of the problems with his car and adjusts his driving accordingly. Ont he other hand, he NEVER looks at his phone while driving. He puts it in the glove box. Despite his poor condition car, he is a safer driver than 85% of the people out there, just because of that factor.

The problem I have with poorly maintained vehicles is they are often piloted by poor (stupid) drivers. I do nto have a problems with a worn out 25 year old clunker on the freeway. I have a big problem if they are trying to drive 90 mph, tailgating, texting etc. All of those things re bad ideas but doing any of them in a worn out car is really stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive