Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:44 PM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Ummmmm, I did speak for myself but I guess I threw in a few known observations. The reason they have started programming the PCM's to sound as if it is shifting is because of all of the complaints from customers. Most people simply do not like the sound or feel of a CVT but the manufacturers are sticking with them on the lower power mass produced small to midsize cars because they can get better gas mileage with them.

We had a new 2009 Altima SL loaded with everything that had the CVT transmission. We bought it to save on gas but it just sat in the driveway because we hated driving it. I didn't drive it for the last year and a half we owned it and my wife very rarely drove it because she hated it as much as I did. We finally sold it and moved on. I won't ever have another car with a CVT. To be fair though, I don't enjoy driving front wheel drive cars at all.....none of them.

To answer your question, no switching to manual and using the paddle shifters doesn't make me happy because it still isn't really shifting, it is faking it to try to make you feel good. What makes me happiest is over 500HP, rear wheel drive, 6 speed manual in my Z06 Vette. Next after that is the above 400HP rear wheel drive with 6 speed automatic and then the z71 tahoe and silverado.

The droning and staying at the same rpm's is mostly what annoyed me as well. I guess part the problem is the fact that most of these cars only have 250HP or less so as you accelerate, they stay at a high rpm level, droning for extended periods of time. I find it extremely irritating.
To each his own...At 76 my hotrod days are long over...Now I like my comfort....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:36 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
To each his own...At 76 my hotrod days are long over...Now I like my comfort....
It also depends on the car. Would I like for my wife's MB or my truck to have CVT? HECK no. But my four-banger sedan? Sure! I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and it's my second one.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
We had a new Subaru Justy in the family with awd and a CVT...

Sad to say the transmission was shot at 7,000 miles... just couldn't handle the deep Montana Snow... Dealer said the trans was overworked plowing through miles of snowdrifts... this was my only CVT experience.

Since then I have avoided anything with a CVT... even when it comes to RTVs and opt for the Hydrostatik models.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The 2.5 model is rated at 26 city / 32 highway, so for the OP to get 37 is not unreasonable.
My 2012 Forester is rated at 27 MPG highway. I routinely get 29 at 70MPH on long trips.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,888,574 times
Our Subaru has a cvt as well. It does get good gas mileage. But I have to say I don't care for the actual experience/feel of the transmission. We live in a mountainous area, with many steep and windy roads, and it's almost a chore to drive it up some of the canyons. We have to use the paddles to force into a lower 'gear'. On its own, it tries to keep the rpms far too low. For normal highway driving, it is fine, however.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
First road trip in my 2017 Forester....240 miles.....37.9 mpg (us gallon).....Way better than my 2007 forester, which had same engine...The only real difference is the CVT...
FWIW, the '07 had a different engine and late 80s 4-speed automatic transmission (Jatco/Subaru 4EAT which was an excellent, although antiquated piece).

If you want an apples to apples comparison, take two current generation Foresters; one 6-speed manual and one CVT. The manual barely gets 30mpg with a tailwind. The CVT gets way more than that. Both do about the same around the city. It's mostly because the manual's 6th gear ratio keeps it spinning at 3000 RPM at 80mph, while the CVT does better.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 PM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We had a new Subaru Justy in the family with awd and a CVT...

Sad to say the transmission was shot at 7,000 miles... just couldn't handle the deep Montana Snow... Dealer said the trans was overworked plowing through miles of snowdrifts... this was my only CVT experience.

Since then I have avoided anything with a CVT... even when it comes to RTVs and opt for the Hydrostatik models.
Are you sure it was a Subaru? Subaru manufactured the Justy from 1984 to 1994, since then it has sold rebadged versions of other vehicles under the Justy nameplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy

Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
I thought it was a leftover 94 model when bought new?

Just out of warranty when the trans let go but VERY low mileage.

Subaru agreed to go to arbitration but by then the it had been disposed of... it was donated as the cost to repair seemed quite high... and not a lot of repair options in Montana.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,794,977 times
Quote:
I like my comfort as well, I drive the loaded Tahoe and Silverado for comfort. It really just comes down to what a person likes and enjoys driving. That is why there are so many different types of vehicles.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 AM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I like my comfort as well, I drive the loaded Tahoe and Silverado for comfort. It really just comes down to what a person likes and enjoys driving. That is why there are so many different types of vehicles.
Newer trucks are very comfortable. I drive a 2001 Silverado, and it's not only comfortable, but very quiet on the road compared to my 2012 Corolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive