Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
How long do they last, and how much do they cost?

Also, you might find this odd, but I don't have a motorcycle license, so my choices might be limited until I pass the test. A "motor-driven cycle" can be driven with a regular driver's license, but a motorcycle requires a special license
It really depends on the bike, the tire and how hard it's driven. The stock rear tire for my bike runs nearly $500 if the dealer supplies and installs it-and only last 6k. But that's FAR from typical (and why I run a car tire on the back now). I'd think 10-12k miles would be a fair average, and maybe $100 per tire for common, "standard" (many 250-650cc) bikes. Plenty of big ADV, cruiser and I assume sport bikes will cost more. OTOH, I used to ride a DR650 and run Shinko 244s. Front tire was about $30 and rear about $50 (4-5 years ago). Hopefully someone with more experience with smaller displacement street bikes will chime in. My experience with smaller bikes is with "dual sports" and knobby tires don't have the life of street bike tires.

As far as the license-I wouldn't even consider (or recommend) a scooter without some sort of training. The basics of operation are no different than a bike (other than that you don't have to shift, at least AFAIK). But they are IMO more "twitchy" to operate, due to the smaller tires. Though I am FAR from knowledgeable about them. There are also lots of "scooters" with enough power to be "highway capable". But if you're going to invest in training...why not get the motorcycle endorsement? My local Craigslist has LOTS of used, low mileage bikes for a good price. Far fewer choices with scoots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 11:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
How long do they last, and how much do they cost?

Also, you might find this odd, but I don't have a motorcycle license, so my choices might be limited until I pass the test. A "motor-driven cycle" can be driven with a regular driver's license, but a motorcycle requires a special license

Licensing depends on where you live. There are generally multiple categories for two and three wheeled vehicles. In Alaska M3 is for trikes only, M2 is for scooters only and M1 is for anything on two or three wheels. And being on a scooter doesn't mean you lost your license. If you're driving on any street, you need some kind of license.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It really depends on the bike, the tire and how hard it's driven. The stock rear tire for my bike runs nearly $500 if the dealer supplies and installs it-and only last 6k. But that's FAR from typical (and why I run a car tire on the back now). I'd think 10-12k miles would be a fair average, and maybe $100 per tire for common, "standard" (many 250-650cc) bikes. Plenty of big ADV, cruiser and I assume sport bikes will cost more. OTOH, I used to ride a DR650 and run Shinko 244s. Front tire was about $30 and rear about $50 (4-5 years ago). Hopefully someone with more experience with smaller displacement street bikes will chime in. My experience with smaller bikes is with "dual sports" and knobby tires don't have the life of street bike tires.

As far as the license-I wouldn't even consider (or recommend) a scooter without some sort of training. The basics of operation are no different than a bike (other than that you don't have to shift, at least AFAIK). But they are IMO more "twitchy" to operate, due to the smaller tires. Though I am FAR from knowledgeable about them. There are also lots of "scooters" with enough power to be "highway capable". But if you're going to invest in training...why not get the motorcycle endorsement? My local Craigslist has LOTS of used, low mileage bikes for a good price. Far fewer choices with scoots.
I need to invest in training before the motorcycle endorsement, don't I?

Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
Why on earth would you want a scooter as your main form of transportation?

I can understand if you are a student that lives on campus.
Or is your town has two red lights.
Or you just came to America

Cross out that last one. When we first came to the U.S.
Number one priority was car and job...

Riding around on a scooter is asking for a death wish. All it takes is one person to not pay attention to the road.. Just one time. Their oops is your life.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
just find a late model Ford Focus hatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_N-_rZ642s

Old 08-14-2016, 07:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Here's what I've seen so far:

Car
If I'm willing to go with a higher mileage Toyota or Ford brand, I could probably find a decent car with decent mileage for around $5000 or under. I saw a delicious looking Scion earlier last month that got around 30 miles per gallon; that's good.

Bike
I could get a good scooter for under half the price of a good used car, under 2K, and since I usually only need my mode of transportation for work and other errands in town, the 30 mph capacity on a 50cc bike would be suitable.
Checking Craigslist for Mobile Alabama comes up with many nice used car choices for under $5K=
https://mobile.craigslist.org/search/cta?min_price=1000&max_price=5000

Avoid the too good to be true ads like that reoccurring mint condition 04 Nissan Murano ad for $1K.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-14-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:

Avoid the too good to be true ads like that reoccurring mint condition 04 Nissan Murano ad for $1K.
There's a lot of ads like that lately, usually with someone's Gmail address in bold at the bottom. It makes it really annoying to have to filter them out.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 119,428 times
I used a scooter (250cc) for two years to commute with during the warmer months. The upshot is, you will save gas, and maybe some money, but not as much as you think. Scooters need more maintenance (mine needed an oil change every 1000 miles, setting valve lash every 5000 miles, both tires after 10,000 miles, drive belt, etc). Expensive if you don't do it yourself, and a PITA if you do. I liked the freedom, smelling summer on the wind, etc. but froze my a$$ off too many mornings with a 6:00 A.M. leave time. Add in the fact eventually some blue-hair will turn left in front of you and you may die and I decided it wasn't worth it.
(And the 50cc bikes are just too slow and dangerous for regular use. Wouldn't even consider it.)

Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mc View Post
(And the 50cc bikes are just too slow and dangerous for regular use. Wouldn't even consider it.)
If a scooter is on the short list i'd not buy anything under 200cc, heres some 200cc+ scooters=
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=853....0.Z464l3Hg1yo

Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Is this even a question bro? Just get a car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive