Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Are there any automakers that seem to be particularly fond of making E85 ethanol-fueled engines these days (or even in the past for that matter)?
Thanks
My GMC Yukon is a 2004 and is an E85 vehicle!
Never have bought it because fuel not available in the east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The greatness is in reducing the amount of money we send to the Saud family to fund world-wide Islamic terrorism. Or is that no longer a concern?
You need to do some basic research on where the US imports the majority of its oil.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I love ethanol. I get more power out of my car on it than E10 93 octane. It's a great race fuel.
No you don't.

It is a good race fuel if you have a big enough fuel tank.

E85 contains less energy than pure gasoline. Therefore you get less power out of it.

Because it is less explosive (more stable) it has higher octane levels (about 106) and therefore can be used in higher compression engines that might otherwise require expensive racing fuel. However, due to the fact it has less energy, you may have to install a bigger fuel tank (which is initially heavier). You will also need to replace some parts if you are going to run E85, starting with your fuel level sensor. Then you will need to revise your injector cleaning/replacement schedule and your engine rebuild schedule. IF your car will sit for a while, run it empty/near empty and put in some pure gasoline if you can find it, or 10% ethanol with Stabil (or equivalent) added. Do not leave your car sitting for months with E85 in it.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Just a question, is it OK for farmers and other to clear land, and sell it for housing developments?

Millions of acres, can you provide a link to that information?
7.34 million acres just from 2008-2012.
Cropland expansion outpaces agricultural and biofuel policies in the United States - IOPscience

In addition Brazil is cutting down a million acres of rain forest every year for ethanol production.
Forbes Welcome

The Environmental Costs of Ethanol | NCPA

Corn Ethanol Is Not a Renewable Fuel | EWG

Corn ethanol production for fuel does not make sense in any way. It is simply government lobbying at work.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No you don't.

It is a good race fuel if you have a big enough fuel tank.

E85 contains less energy than pure gasoline. Therefore you get less power out of it.

Because it is less explosive (more stable) it has higher octane levels (about 106) and therefore can be used in higher compression engines that might otherwise require expensive racing fuel. However, due to the fact it has less energy, you may have to install a bigger fuel tank (which is initially heavier). You will also need to replace some parts if you are going to run E85, starting with your fuel level sensor. Then you will need to revise your injector cleaning/replacement schedule and your engine rebuild schedule. IF your car will sit for a while, run it empty/near empty and put in some pure gasoline if you can find it, or 10% ethanol with Stabil (or equivalent) added. Do not leave your car sitting for months with E85 in it.
Um, yes I do. Yes, it requires more fuel, but it allows me to run more boost and timing.

You don't seem to know anything about ethanol in regards to performance.

I ran an E40 mix when I was on the stock turbo, and now run an E25 mix now that I upgraded the turbo to free up some injector headroom.

You have the internet at your finger tips, all the tuners are tuning on E85 or some kind of blend because it's cheap and cools the cylinders which keeps knock at bay. There are even gains to be bad on naturally aspirated motors, but forced induction cars see the largest gains.

Here are some old logs to compare. The 93 tune was knock limited, and the E25 tune went on to make 60 more whp more than this graph and the same amount of torque. BTW I've been running higher concentrations of ethanol for over 2 years and about 40k miles with no issues and have made no modifications to my fuel system besides upgrading the high pressure fuel pump.

Here, I've added the graph where my car sits about now, both lines are on E25. This would not be possible with my current hardware without ethanol.

Last edited by Cheesesteak Cravings; 08-18-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The greatness is in reducing the amount of money we send to the Saud family to fund world-wide Islamic terrorism. Or is that no longer a concern?
Not really. The Saudis blow enough cash in a losing effort trying to buy Hillary into the White House. The White Devil will recoup his money soon enough if they are that reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive