Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:32 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I chuckle when I see people waiting with their blinker on for several minutes for a spot to open up in the front. I park a little further down with a bunch of open spots and see the person still camped out while I walk into the store.
Not to mention that (if they have the engine on) this is a silly waste of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Nope, I have a beater van and make sure to park near Lexus, BMW's and Cadillac's....One time had a Lexus park in such a way, that there's wasn't a chance of me getting into the van via the drivers door, no problem as I no longer use it as it's damaged and I have to find a replacement.

I just got in through the side barn doors, rolled down the window, hawked a goober onto the windshield and drove off....
I too have a "beater" van. a 96' Ford e350 I use for work. Even though it has rust issues on the rear quarter panels I still park it far away from everyone else.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
I always notice either super fancy cars like Bentley or Maserati's park super far away from everyone or its a junky old beat up car for some reason. I have a somewhat fancy car but I park it near everyone because I feel like if I park it far away somebody will go out their way to key it for some reason and I want to want to superior to everyone.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ukrkoz, I did go back months, looked and searched.

I've done that and still there's a car next to me when I come out of the store.
Again, it's like you have to park in the middle section of the lot -- not in the closest section at all, to get away from folks. Because two spots over has never been enough!

Plus I think I've got some magnetic people attraction field or something. I can park two cars over and I'll be darned when I pull in or try to pull out is someone isn't next to me, or across from me, Or I have to wait from them to pull in before I can pull out. I their door is open next to me.

I bet in a Walmart or mall parking lot I could park in the row facing the sidewalk, all the way away from the store and a car would be next to me when I came out. So…. I walked a block and a half to the store across the lot and the same distance back -- and a car is STILL next to me
The thread was like two years ago, lol.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
I park one of my cars relatively far from other cars and my limousine quite a distance from other cars.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:04 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ukrkoz, I did go back months, looked and searched.

I've done that and still there's a car next to me when I come out of the store.
Again, it's like you have to park in the middle section of the lot -- not in the closest section at all, to get away from folks. Because two spots over has never been enough!

Plus I think I've got some magnetic people attraction field or something. I can park two cars over and I'll be darned when I pull in or try to pull out is someone isn't next to me, or across from me, Or I have to wait from them to pull in before I can pull out. I their door is open next to me.

I bet in a Walmart or mall parking lot I could park in the row facing the sidewalk, all the way away from the store and a car would be next to me when I came out. So…. I walked a block and a half to the store across the lot and the same distance back -- and a car is STILL next to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Yes, I do intentionally park away from those coveted close spots. I'm healthy and don't mind lugging groceries 50 yards or more from the store. For 4 years I didn't have a car, so that forced me to bike, walk, or take the bus. At times it sucked, but it DID make me less lazy.

I also don't want to get my brand new Honda Civic dinged up. (love that new car smell!) It will eventually lose it's cherry when some careless nincompoop door dings it. But until that day I'm going to baby it. I love hand-waxing my car and keeping it spotless inside and out.
I like bicycles, have a few of them, but I'd much rather it be a hobby, than a neccessity.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 AM

762 posts, read 610,619 times
Yes. I think you just avoid a lot of parking lot accidents that way however, I was in a minor accident with a guy who backed into me as I drove into a parking lot in June. Our agents couldn't agree on the claim so now it's going into arbituation which I didn't think would happen as I had diagrams and photos which clearly show he is at fault (he is saying he was backed up halfway and that I drove into him).

Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
This thread has changed my life. I can no longer just run around town, parking where I feel like parking. It's all your fault.

Today, I went to my eye surgeon (cataract surgery soon - joys of getting old), where all the other old half-blind seniors were turning the parking lot into a demolition derby. I parked way off in a corner at the end, next to a field of grass, deliberately parking part way into the field, so nobody could park next to the driver's door and ding it.

Went to the community garden across the street from the surgeon's office, and deliberately parked next to an island.

Went to the dollar store and parked in the middle of the parking lot, where nobody else was parked.

My life will never be the same.

Oh! And weirdly, the old guy in my building who parks his van taking up two parking spots? He was actually parked properly inside the lines today! Have no idea why. I like the idea that maybe someone else complained about him, and the management actually told him to knock it off. But, there probably just weren't enough spots when he parked.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Yes. I have always parked far from other vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive