Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Calling and reporting it would only work if the police perceived that patrol officers doing this would raise more revenue, with less risk, than the speed traps where those officers are currently camped out. The public safety has little to do with law enforcement, I find.
I'm guessing you've gotten a speeding ticket. Were you driving in excess of the posted speed limit? Then there was no "trap" involved - you suffered the consequences of your own choices.

Think about it - if people weren't breaking the law by speeding, there would be no "revenue generation". All the police are doing in those cases is the job we pay them to do. Any revenue generated is to help pay for the necessity of protecting the driving public from people who think the law doesn't apply to them, and to try to get across to those people that yes, yes, it does.

But anyone who thinks that is, of course, going to say it's all about revenue generation, because, again, inability to accept the consequences of their own actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

But anyone who thinks that is, of course, going to say it's all about revenue generation, because, again, inability to accept the consequences of their own actions.
This is not always true. There are some municipalities that are known for using tickets to generate revenue. probably not as many actually do it as are reputed to, but some are obvious. We have one city where our international airport is located that would sit outside the airport and ticket people for 2 mph over the speed limit, or for made up violations. They would then trade the ticket for something like double parking which had a higher fine, but no points. The city prosecutor even admitted he knew the tickets were not valid in some cases. Ultimately the County raised the speed limit on the road outside the airport, purportedly to stop the revenue generating by the city. It happens, not all the time in every place, but it does happen.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM

93 posts, read 63,292 times
Is this a serious question?

It's a complete waste of time on everyone's part. The police didn't witness the offense so you would need to be the party that signs the complaint. Do you really have that kind of time on your hands? Even if you did sign the complaint the cops are still stuck with a "he said, she said" case that anyone with common sense would fight in court.

Have you ever once been approached by a cop after reporting one of these things? If not then you just wasted you time and theirs. Leave them alone to do their jobs and go about your business.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBACKAGAIN View Post
Is this a serious question?

It's a complete waste of time on everyone's part. The police didn't witness the offense so you would need to be the party that signs the complaint. Do you really have that kind of time on your hands? Even if you did sign the complaint the cops are still stuck with a "he said, she said" case that anyone with common sense would fight in court.

Have you ever once been approached by a cop after reporting one of these things? If not then you just wasted you time and theirs. Leave them alone to do their jobs and go about your business.
Yeah, ok...

Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM

33 posts, read 41,243 times
Wow, i didn't know people actually report such drivers. Driving through Arizona, i see at least one driver every other day like that. I do want to report but i am too afraid for my life. People here are crazy and who knows if they are carrying weapon..

Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useruseruser View Post
Wow, i didn't know people actually report such drivers. Driving through Arizona, i see at least one driver every other day like that. I do want to report but i am too afraid for my life. People here are crazy and who knows if they are carrying weapon..
How exactly would those terrifying, weapon wielding folks know that you called them in?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 41,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How exactly would those terrifying, weapon wielding folks know that you called them in?

lol what if its late in light,you two are only on road and some how they have seen your/your license#? People find out..

Old 08-26-2016, 02:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I was point out to my wife on the highway atleast 3-4 people were talking on the phone or texting while driving at speeds of 70mph+

I said, I can get nervous taking my eye off the wheel for a split second because I've seen lots of accidents on the highway including people that just veered off for no reason so I can't gamble on the highway like these people do. If a text msg or phone call is that important than it's just as important as me reading on the news that some poor soul crashed on the side of the highway and under investigations.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Drunk drivers? How about "high" drug users on the road? It's more like "impaired" drivers, or driving under the influence, not necessarily alcohol.
I don't know about "impaired" drivers. The signs they posted only referred to drunken drivers, so you'd need to ask the CA traffic authority about that. I'm sure they would go after those folks too, as it can also become a road safety issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive