Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:25 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Correct, you may have no leaks with a synthetic blend or conventional oil, but go to a full synthetic and you may have leaks.

Personally, that is a good thing to me. Tells me which seals need replacing, especially if its on a racing or high horsepower motor.
I have not seen any vehicles using full synthetic oil have leaks. I have seen many vehicles using conventional oil have severe leakage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have not seen any vehicles using full synthetic oil have leaks. I have seen many vehicles using conventional oil have severe leakage.
It's not generally a case with vehicles that have always had synthetic. On older cars with higher mileage that normally used conventional oil, switching to synthetic can lead to leaks through various seals.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
I have never used synthetic and never will..I like conventional oils...

Also I have to laugh when people get all freaked out about what weight oil is put in their vehicle.. UNLESS you put it in yourself, you never know what is put in your vehicle... Although the person who put it in might say it is 5w-20 it could in fact be 10w-30... AND unless your car starts really having problems, you would never know...

So while the weight of an oil is beneficial to vehicles, the mere fact of changing the oil regularly is more beneficial....

Also you need to use oil for what area of the country you are in (as in what type of weather goes on there)...

ex: If you live in Maine you may want to use a 5w-20 since you actually have winter...BUT if you live in Phoenix you may want to use a 20w-40 or 50 since there is no such thing as winter there...

Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 AM

772 posts, read 935,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post

is my car okay?

//EDIT: ~90k miles and i live in TX so hot weather
Your car will be fine.

As far as some of the other comments in this thread, you can still buy Group IV oils.

All of Mobil 1's European formulations are Group IV, because to be labeled synthetic in Europe requires the base stock to be Group IV. No exceptions.

Their American formulations are now using Group III, as someone else said earlier. I have no idea about what other brands are doing now, except to say that Amsoil doesn't actually make their own base stocks... They bought from other manufacturers when they were touting using a Group IV base, which was either ExxonMobil or Chevron. Both continue to make Group IV oil stocks.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It's not generally a case with vehicles that have always had synthetic. On older cars with higher mileage that normally used conventional oil, switching to synthetic can lead to leaks through various seals.
But it's not the oil that's the problem, it's just exposing old dried out seals that were getting ready to leak anyways.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Some semi syn has seal conditioners go with that. Walmart

Old 08-22-2016, 12:52 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But it's not the oil that's the problem, it's just exposing old dried out seals that were getting ready to leak anyways.
Correct.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
thanks for all the responses everyone

gotta love how a yes or no question/topic turned into a huge engine oil debate lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive