Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yes, there are still full synthetic oils. All Amsoil viscosities are Group 4, and some Mobil 1 are Group 4 (15w-50 Euro for example) as well. I believe Pennzoil still makes a group 4 oil as well, but that may have changed.
I just switch to Penz Plat it's sweet and a great value much better than Mobile 1 which left my valves making noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
car n00b here

8th gen honda civic. manual says 5w20 conventional oil
went to NTB to get an oil change. they put 5w30 synthetic blend. so is my car okay?

i googled 5w30 in a 5w20, so i understand the difference now. majority of sites on google say it's okay.
also, i'm not sure what a "synthetic blend" is. it is not a full synthetic so again not sure what it is

is my car okay?

//EDIT: ~90k miles and i live in TX so hot weather
I do not see any problems with 5W-30 oil in an engine that requires the use of 5W-20 oil. Both oils have the same cold-start viscosity. National Tire and Battery may have used bulk 5W-30 synthetic blend oil.

Synthetic motor oils are great for combating the causes of engine breakdown: leaks, deposits, sludge, and friction. Driving in hot climates, using a synthetic oil would be a plus. Full synthetic 5W-20 oil would be the best.

Being an eighth generation Honda Civic, being the 2005 through 2011 model years, does it have a Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) or i-VTEC engine?

Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not see any problems with 5W-30 oil in an engine that requires the use of 5W-20 oil. Both oils have the same cold-start viscosity. National Tire and Battery may have used bulk 5W-30 synthetic blend oil.

Synthetic motor oils are great for combating the causes of engine breakdown: leaks, deposits, sludge, and friction. Driving in hot climates, using a synthetic oil would be a plus. Full synthetic 5W-20 oil would be the best.

Being an eighth generation Honda Civic, being the 2005 through 2011 model years, does it have a Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) or i-VTEC engine?
I think all these models are V-Tec. The 5-w20 would be synthetic blend, most all 5-20 is "synthetic blend" if not full "synthetic" -- whatever that means, standards for "synthetic oil" are not well-defined in this country. Its kind of like "natural beef."

5-w30 is not ideal but should get by. Why don't you have NTB drain and refill the crankcase with the Honda factory specified motor oil?

But consider yourself quite fortunate if the worst thing that happened at NTB is that they used the wrong oil in your car.

Don in Austin

Old 08-21-2016, 06:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Full synth is awesome because it won't burn/oxidize like cheap dino

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
All Amsoil viscosities are Group 4, and some Mobil 1 are Group 4
Nope. Neither are a Gp 4 and hasn't been since Katrina when Mobil lost its refinery. Both are a raffinate processed Gp III that Mobil calls Viscom. Pennzoils best base oil comes from natural gas and is a Gp III also. But lets be clear here, there's nothing inferior about a Gp III base oil. Neither synthetic bases support the additive package. Mobil and Amsoil use a naphtenic fluid as a binder to make the base and add package work together. What you may have misunderstood is that both companies use Mobil ultra high VI Gp 4 as an additive. There is less than 5% in the formulation and is used in place of a VI Improver or polymer.
So you think a synthetic is a better oil? Might want to read it from Blackstone. If you pay a premium price for a premium product, you should get premium results. Sorry folks, in a lot of cases the synthetics won't stay with a blend. In regards to high heat, if you have the issue, which I doubt, look at the ASTM D-5800 test results. You can find whatever oil you are using at PQIA website. Compare it to Pennzoil cheap yellow bottle 10w-30. I'll give you a hint, the Pennzoil cheapy blend has a rating of 4.4%. I challenge you to find any synthetic to come within double the Pennzoils rating. Lower numbers means it handles heat better. Most synthetics are above 10%. API max is 15 and some synthetics are right at max.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...ust-1-2016.php
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I know the current love affair is with synthetic oil, but I actually am not a fan. I play with high performance motors and run a blend in all of them. One problem I have seen with synthetics is that they tend to seep by seals easier. My one son warned me about that, and, when I tried Mobil 1, I found a little puddle under my engine. Went back to a blend and no more leaks.

I also like oils with a higher zinc load in my flat tappet motors as opposed to the roller cam ones I have. But we all have our personal opinions, that is why there are so many choices on the shelf at the parts store.

Don

Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Nope. Neither are a Gp 4 and hasn't been since Katrina when Mobil lost its refinery. Both are a raffinate processed Gp III that Mobil calls Viscom. Pennzoils best base oil comes from natural gas and is a Gp III also. But lets be clear here, there's nothing inferior about a Gp III base oil. Neither synthetic bases support the additive package. Mobil and Amsoil use a naphtenic fluid as a binder to make the base and add package work together. What you may have misunderstood is that both companies use Mobil ultra high VI Gp 4 as an additive.
Again... You are incorrect, and posting a bunch of gibberish that has nothing to do with what I said.

Technilube.com - All Synthetics are NOT Created Equal

They are group IV.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know the current love affair is with synthetic oil, but I actually am not a fan. I play with high performance motors and run a blend in all of them. One problem I have seen with synthetics is that they tend to seep by seals easier. My one son warned me about that, and, when I tried Mobil 1, I found a little puddle under my engine. Went back to a blend and no more leaks.

I also like oils with a higher zinc load in my flat tappet motors as opposed to the roller cam ones I have. But we all have our personal opinions, that is why there are so many choices on the shelf at the parts store.

Don
Correct, you may have no leaks with a synthetic blend or conventional oil, but go to a full synthetic and you may have leaks.

Personally, that is a good thing to me. Tells me which seals need replacing, especially if its on a racing or high horsepower motor.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Again... You are incorrect, and posting a bunch of gibberish that has nothing to do with what I said.

Technilube.com - All Synthetics are NOT Created Equal

They are group IV.
I have no dog in this fight but that is an article by Amsoil so no bias there and it's from 2003. Things may have changed from 13 years ago.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have no dog in this fight but that is an article by Amsoil so no bias there and it's from 2003. Things may have changed from 13 years ago.
I posted it because it has a chart showing which oils are comprised of what group as a base stock.

Things do change... Mobil 1 did a formulation change in 2006-2007 where their full synthetic is now made from a group 3 base stock... EXCEPT for their European blends, which have to comply to European specs, and to be labeled synthetic, they must be made from group 4 PAO base stock, so they still are. This is the oil that Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW come factory filled with. I wouldn't say it's common knowledge, because they don't want the consumer to know that all their oils are not equal. Most of Amsoil's line is still group 4, but they do have some group 3 product lines too.

Bottom line, there are still group 4 oils being made. Someone saying otherwise is just being ignorant of what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive