Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
In order to make an educated decision, you have to look at what each entity will do step-by-step.

First, the dealer:
1. Purge the system.
2. Remove the defective part(s).
3. Install the replacement part(s).
4. Refill the system.
5. Check for leaks and to make sure the system is now working properly.
6. Hand you a bill for $1500.

Now, the independent shop:
1. Purge the system.
2. Remove the defective part(s).
3. Install the replacement part(s).
4. Refill the system.
5. Check for leaks and to make sure the system is now working properly.
6. Hand you a bill for less than $1500.

As you can see, all the dealership is going to do that the independent shop isn't is charge too much for the repair. So I'm not sure why you believe that a repair at a dealership is going to last longer.

Maybe this is one of those situations where aftermarket parts just don't hold up as well as OEM, but you've already said that the dealer is using aftermarket parts to get the lower price so that advantage is gone; and as far as that goes, you could have an independent shop install OEM parts.
Denso is an original equipment supplier to Toyota, among others. You can trust their parts 200%.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
$1500 to repair an 03? Sorry bit I don't think so.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Heck I have NEVER gone to the dealer for work...

Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I would change out the compressor myself. Ask at the auto parts store if the compressor has had oil already put in it, or if i need to add oil?

Then i would go to an A/C shop to have the system recharged.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 AM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useruseruser View Post
Hey guys,

So i live in Arizona and my AC has stopped working out of no where. Temp. stay on high end here until mid october, so i am in desperate need of fixing it. Two year ago, i struggled with same problem, got it fixed from pepboys for $450. But this time i didn't want to go to any other guy than dealer. I know you would say it's not worth going to dealer for such old car but i went there anyways just to get their estimates. So they told me i need new compressor and estimated $1500 ( for parts +labor), they said they will flush out whole system and put frions in it. Actually, they quoted me with $2200 but then after negotiating, they said they would get after market parts (DENSO) for me and gave me price of $1500. I know this price is excessive and i was expecting that but i felt that by making dealer do the work, i won't have to go through this problem again. Summers are crazy here and i just don't want to go though this again and i have feeling that if i were to go to private guy, i will end up with same problem again down the road. And i am in rush and i need this to be fixed by end of this week, i am pretty sure this private garages wont even have parts that they need for repair.

I don't want to pay that price to dealer but i don't know i am in tough spot. What would you do if you were me?

Since that diagnosed it, I'd seek MOBILE MECHANICS and tell them what the dealership told me and ask them if they could do it. Buy the part and let the mobile mechanic do it.

I'd only pay 1500 dollars for a rebuilt tranmission or engine repair, not paying 1500 for an air conditioner problem.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's not a matter of DIY. It's simply overcharging for the job being done. I had a few compressors replaced over 27 years of driving and NONE were over 650 bucks. That included a Compressor, dryer, filter, vacuum system and recharge. 2500 bucks for a job that can be done simply by shopping around is outrageous.

A GOOD compressor can be atleast 250 dollars. Plus the other parts and labor. No way a shop can do it for 650 and make any money.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM

376 posts, read 500,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
A GOOD compressor can be atleast 250 dollars. Plus the other parts and labor. No way a shop can do it for 650 and make any money.
What?? Depending on car, NO lol.... got a NEW compressor for under $80 for my 1998 5.0 explorer.

I also bought all the other parts needed as well, had a shop completely replace my A/C system for under $700 total. Most of that $700 was labor and the refrigerant recharge.

Do just a little work and save hundreds. My friend(he owned the truck then) got quoted $1200 for the job in 2009, I did it for less than $700 in 2015.

Always buy your own parts unless the shop can get them for the same price.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Dealer charged me over a grand to fix the AC on my old 2003 Accord...this was a good dealer price because they always hooked me up there...independent mechanic told me to check a junk yard...checked junk yard in scorching DMV summer heat and couldn't find proper part...took it back to independent mechanic and he looked again and found it was some cable that had been severed...patched it up again and hooked up a "thing-a-ma-***" to make sure it stayed in place...$70...worked fine from 2012 until 2016 this year when the new owner got the car taken by DC gov't for unpaid parking tickets (I sold it in 2012 after transmission issues at 230,000 miles)...AC was still working at the time he lost it

Go to a reputable independent mechanic

Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

33 posts, read 41,256 times
Default Went to private shop- UPDATE

Went to private shop who specialize in AC repair. And this is what i was quoted:

Compressor - $1331
Compressor + condenser - $1621

When i saw those price i was like what the hell lol This prices are crazy... These places are trying tp rip off female customers

Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
What?? Depending on car, NO lol.... got a NEW compressor for under $80 for my 1998 5.0 explorer.

I also bought all the other parts needed as well, had a shop completely replace my A/C system for under $700 total. Most of that $700 was labor and the refrigerant recharge.

Do just a little work and save hundreds. My friend(he owned the truck then) got quoted $1200 for the job in 2009, I did it for less than $700 in 2015.

Always buy your own parts unless the shop can get them for the same price.

yea a 98 thats 18 years old ofcourse they are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive