Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
$1.50 (quarters only please) to use the air pump machine! I was expecting $0.25 not $1.50.

What the hell happened to inflate these prices?

I even recall when it was no charge.
Small pancake air compressors are cheap, and are handy to have around the house. Buy your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
I dont mind paying for air on the rare instance I may need it and am not close to home (have a compressor at home). Usually though I can never find one that works

Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
If you'll check your tire pressure ever week or so, and air the low tire up right then, you'll save money.

How Tire Pressure Affects MPG

Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
The air pumps at gas stations, are a service made available to the public. They are not cheap to install, and maintain, including utility costs to run them. Someone has to pay for them, and the person that should pay is the user, like all other services. So they put them on meters, to be able to cover their cost of installing and maintaining those air pumps.

If you want to use them, then it is only right you pay for the service. It is your paying, or they would have to raise the price of gasoline, and other products and services to pay for the cost to install and operate the air service.

Years ago, the gas stations gave free air for tires. They also had full service at all pumps. Today gasoline is cheaper than it was when I got my first job working in a gas station on my 14th birthday when minimum wage was 40 cents an hour (I got 50 cents) when you adjust for cost of living advances and the fact wages are close to 20 times what they were then. Back then we had to have air compressors to operate the hoists, etc. which are no longer even in gas stations that have become mini-marts. Tires constantly had to have air added. Believe me, the cost to have and use air compressors, were factored into the prices of the business. Today needing air is rare, and to build and operate an air compressor and delivery equipment, for the occasional user has to be recovered somewhere. Not fair to charge all customers for this service, when so few need it. So pay for the service you use when you get air, and quit complaining. I have my own 110v, compact compressor to take care of my own tires, including my tractor. It cost $39 years ago and still works perfectly.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
I had no idea that air wasn't free in all states. It is here in Connecticut. From the CT DCP's website:

Quote:
Gas stations in Connecticut are required by law to provide any driver with access to air to inflate their tires at no cost. It’s against the law for gas stations in Connecticut to charge you; the law says that air for tires has to be free.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I had no idea that air wasn't free in all states. It is here in Connecticut. From the CT DCP's website:

You may think it's free, but you and everyone else who buys gas in CT pays for it thru higher prices at the pump and inside the convenience store. Same goes for any other state where it's mandated to be "free". It really shouldn't be the function of government to coerce business owners into providing something "free" to the public.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 AM

199 posts, read 176,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
I'll give California credit for this. If you go inside the store, you'll get free air.
The reason for that is because it is mandated by State law. There was an Assemblywoman/maybe Senator? from Pomona named Nelly Soto who proposed that law which was passed in 1998. California gas stations must also pump your gas if the driver is handicapped and requests the help.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:29 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You may think it's free, but you and everyone else who buys gas in CT pays for it thru higher prices at the pump and inside the convenience store. Same goes for any other state where it's mandated to be "free". It really shouldn't be the function of government to coerce business owners into providing something "free" to the public.
How much does it add to the price of gas in CT? .000001 pennies?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 AM

69 posts, read 73,392 times
The price increase it due to service stations changing over to "organic" air. Similar to buying vegetables, "organic" just costs more.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
The price increase it due to service stations changing over to "organic" air. Similar to buying vegetables, "organic" just costs more.
They're also carrying homeopathic water now, and that's pricey.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive