Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times

Advertisements

HAHAHA! no

My "turbo" switch for immediate acceleration is to turn off the AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:28 PM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
My fastest car was a 97 viper gts that had some engine mods and a supercharger with nitrous. On the dyno it pulled 770 hp and 980ftlbs of torque. I also had lower gearing which was totally unneccessary. I owned a Porsche turbo and had a friend who calmly sat in the car when I floored it. In the viper his whole body would stiffen up straight as a board, even when I told him I was going to nail it. Ever since then everything seems really slow.
Yeah, everything is relative. I'm used to sport bikes so cars all feel slow, even fast ones. Part of it is that they are slow and then the other part is motorcycles feel faster than they are, even slow ones. My little baby Ninja 250 is about as fast as a normal car at least up until around 60 where it's running out of go. It feels faster than normal family sedans even though it isn't. Something like your Viper would probably be about what it would take to really surprise me. I had a friend pick up a C5 Z06 and I mean it's quick but it doesn't really feel fast.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My 22 year old, stock, 6 cylinder Toyota, will take me 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. That’s fast enough for me.
That really is very quick.

Supra?

Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, everything is relative. I'm used to sport bikes so cars all feel slow, even fast ones. Part of it is that they are slow and then the other part is motorcycles feel faster than they are, even slow ones. My little baby Ninja 250 is about as fast as a normal car at least up until around 60 where it's running out of go. It feels faster than normal family sedans even though it isn't. Something like your Viper would probably be about what it would take to really surprise me. I had a friend pick up a C5 Z06 and I mean it's quick but it doesn't really feel fast.
I would imagine acceleration on a bike seems even faster as you are not enclosed like in a car. No doubt bikes are hard to beat for performance, especially for the dollar.
Most cars will not take on a sportbike unless they are really packing something extra special.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,764,579 times
I had a old full sized Bronco that I could make throw you into the seat. And it had 40" tires. Of course those big tires and lift liked to chew up rear U-joins and spit the driveshaft out the back so I did a lot of driving in "front wheel drive" (4 wheel with a disconnected rear driveshaft). Of course being a young and immature idiot I would put it in 4 low and drive around. If I punched the gas with the doubled up gearing of low range, the torque alone would throw you hard into the seat.

Of course low range at highway speeds was not the best way to treat a 351M so I blew that one up. Perfect excuse for a 460 and lower gears.

Just like the little 4 cylinder mule I drove around the airport while working for an air freight company years ago. I could get the front wheels off the ground on that thing at launch!

Gearing will make the torque that throws you back if the engine doesn't produce it. That is that instant lunge that gets everything going!

On a similar note, I work on a 62 ft sportfisher that weighs a bit over 100,000 lbs and when those throttles are pushed up that boat will lunge out of the hole, get on top and throw you back as well. That is powered by twin 1850 HP CAT C32A's so they are producing the torque to get it done!

Last edited by marlinfshr; 08-28-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive