Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,135,932 times

Advertisements

So my brother in law puts me down a lot because I don't have a car. I really want one because sometimes I want to go to the store and get things but I can't, I want to go into the city but I can't and I'm tired of walking everywhere. The only thing is that I don't know what to get or how to start looking and I don't know how I would even go to look for one since I have never had a car before. I just know that I really want one so I can start getting around better but I'm also going to need driving lessons too bc I have driven some places but not enough to drive anywhere with freeways and I also have trouble parking. I have driven locally but not a lot.

I just don't get how people learn if they don't have money? My mom doesn't have a car. My sister doesn't but her husband does. They both drive it but it's his car and he wouldn't let me drive it.

I put a thing up on my church bulletin board about paying some one gas money to teach me but I just can't find anyone bc ppl get nervous with their cars.

So what do ppl normally do and how do they learn? How do you know what car to get?

I'm also tired of being put down bc I can't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM

I have looked for nearby lessons but ppl want $500 for a 6 hr lesson and that is to expensive :/

Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 PM

539 posts, read 566,092 times
How old are you?
Get a job. That's how people typically get money.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
How old are you?
Get a job. That's how people typically get money.
Well I have a job but I have to pay bills and stuff

Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post

So what do ppl normally do and how do they learn? How do you know what car to get?

I and a lot of other people to Driver Ed in HS (which I believe cost $200 for 2.5 months). I knew several people who went to Sears, those who even through local community colleges. Simply put, you find out who offers Driver Ed in your area, you can Google or check with the DMV. There's the written test and the driving test you must passed.

Realistically speaking, I don't think it's even financially feasible for you to even bother. As long as you're supporting your family and working PT low paying jobs, its kinda pointless as it will be a bigger burden than you can handle.

Your BIL is going to put you down regardless of your ability to drive, get real. Stop giving him so much power. If you're not serious about changing your situation and moving away from your family, you're just going to have to learn not to be so sensitive to their put downs and accept they're always going to be jerks to you.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I and a lot of other people to Driver Ed in HS (which I believe cost $200 for 2.5 months). I knew several people who went to Sears, those who even through local community colleges. Simply put, you find out who offers Driver Ed in your area, you can Google or check with the DMV. There's the written test and the driving test you must passed.

Realistically speaking, I don't think it's even financially feasible for you to even bother. As long as you're supporting your family and working PT low paying jobs, its kinda pointless as it will be a bigger burden than you can handle.

Your BIL is going to put you down regardless of your ability to drive, get real. Stop giving him so much power. If you're not serious about changing your situation and moving away from your family, you're just going to have to learn not to be so sensitive to their put downs and accept they're always going to be jerks to you.
I want to move and I'm trying

Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I suppose you'd have to pay for lessons at a driving school. I don't know the rules for getting a license after age 18.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
So my brother in law puts me down a lot because I don't have a car. I really want one because sometimes I want to go to the store and get things but I can't, I want to go into the city but I can't and I'm tired of walking everywhere. The only thing is that I don't know what to get or how to start looking and I don't know how I would even go to look for one since I have never had a car before. I just know that I really want one so I can start getting around better but I'm also going to need driving lessons too bc I have driven some places but not enough to drive anywhere with freeways and I also have trouble parking. I have driven locally but not a lot.

I just don't get how people learn if they don't have money? My mom doesn't have a car. My sister doesn't but her husband does. They both drive it but it's his car and he wouldn't let me drive it.

I put a thing up on my church bulletin board about paying some one gas money to teach me but I just can't find anyone bc ppl get nervous with their cars.

So what do ppl normally do and how do they learn?
How do you know what car to get?

I'm confused. You mention that you have driven cars before, does that mean that you do have a driver's licence but just need more practice? You really should not be driving at all without a licence or a temporary licence.

In my state, I believe that driver's education classes are a required class in HS. They are taken during the regular school day and are free (in my state). School districts then offer behind the wheel classes, in cars owned by some company, during the summer for a minimal cost. When my kids took the behind the wheel classes they cost about $40. Of course, you do need to practice driving with a parent or other adult before you are skilled enough to pass the driver's test and to have the state required amount of practice time on the road, at night, in different weather conditions, etc.

I am sorry that this is a problem for you. It is too bad that your HS did not offer those classes.

Just keep asking your friends and co-workers and I bet that soon you will find someone who will help you learn how to drive better. Perhaps, a parent of one of your friends would help or a friend of your mother or a neighbor?

Start saving your money. If you get a very inexpensive, old "beater" car for (as an example) $1,000 or $2,000 you often need money for repairs or for new tires or things like that. There are other expenses, such as a new title (about $75 in my state) and $75 a year for license plates. And, of course, you will need car insurance, if you are a new driver it could be somewhat expensive, especially if you need to get your own insurance and not be on someone else's policy. So be sure that you have enough income to pay (as an example) another $100 or $200 a month just for car insurance.

Good luck. Perhaps saving your money and moving to a city with better jobs and good bus system would be a better idea for you.

PS. A friend of my daughter recently had an opportunity to get a very old car, that ran OK, for only $400. But, paying for the title & licence plates added $150. And he needed to have a $600 deposit on the car insurance (it would be paid back after six months, if he make each payment in full and on time) plus $100 a month in car insurance (on his Mom's policy).

So, even for a car that only cost $400 (which is REALLY cheap) he needed to have saved up at least $1,250 and been able to afford the insurance, gas, and any car repairs each month. Although he had the $400 in cash, he just could not swing the added expenses.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-27-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Well I have a job but I have to pay bills and stuff
It's called saving up. Save $50 or $100 a month and you'll be driving by next Spring.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
I'd ask friends. I taught a few people to drive just to help out and be friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive