Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post

Oh, and i drive with one foot on each pedal so you braking wont bother me and as stated before you could get in front of me and drive 20 for all i care.
I'm beginning to wonder if you are serious, this is a very poor driving habit that causes accidents. That is something someone should have taught you not to do the first day you got into a vehicle.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Youre right, im not going to change. I grew up believing and being told that it was a law abiding citizens right duty and obligation to help law enforcement; if you see a wrong, stop it. Dont just ignore it and say aint my thing. Just as someone would say if you have a gun and someone is shooting ppl it is your responsibility to use said gun not stand there with your thumb up your butt because youre not a law enforcement officer.
And "IMO" it is only dangerous to those who want to speed and dont watch the road because they for some reason think that everyone is just going to let them do it.

Oh, and i drive with one foot on each pedal so you braking wont bother me and as stated before you could get in front of me and drive 20 for all i care.
Yikes. Hopefully you are never driving on the same freeways/interstates I'm driving. You sound scary.

If you want to actually HELP law enforcement, then you will follow ALL the laws, including the left lane passing laws. If you truly believe someone is driving recklessly, call 911 and then the REAL LEO handle it.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
I do let them do their job however at times i put my foot down and say NO, If i have to obey the law then so do you.
But you aren't obeying the law. You are breaking the keep right laws. That is wildly hypocritical, you know that right?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Youre right, im not going to change. I grew up believing and being told that it was a law abiding citizens right duty and obligation to help law enforcement; if you see a wrong, stop it. Dont just ignore it and say aint my thing. Just as someone would say if you have a gun and someone is shooting ppl it is your responsibility to use said gun not stand there with your thumb up your butt because youre not a law enforcement officer.
And "IMO" it is only dangerous to those who want to speed and dont watch the road because they for some reason think that everyone is just going to let them do it.

I have never actually seen someone post such willful ignorance. Interesting.

Anyway, your analogy or the bystander with a gun is an apt one. A bystander with a gun during active shooter situation is much more likely to be shot themselves, injure or kill an innocent uninvolved party, or interfere with actual LEOs than actually play the hero. Likewise, a private citizen trying to enforce the speed limit by breaking other laws is not making anyone safer.

And again, your opinion is irrelevant and just plain old wrong. Your behavior, of driving slower in the left hand lane than surrounding traffic, is more dangerous than the typical speeder, to everyone on the highway. Facts are not based on opinion, it is odd that you don't understand that.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A bystander with a gun during active shooter situation is much more likely to be shot themselves, injure or kill an innocent uninvolved party, or interfere with actual LEOs than actually play the hero.
Now that's an interesting statement, where is you got that information from?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Now that's an interesting statement, where is you got that information from?
From the active shooter training I receive each year as a teacher. I can't remember if this came from our county SWAT team or the FBI. Because of the location and nature of our school, the FBI deals with our safety training for the most part, but last year the SWAT team was there as well.

In an active shooter situation it makes sense that some in civies with a gun is more likely to get shot by various law enforcement agencies who are looking for someone with a gun, not in uniform. Civilians have not had the training to safely participate in all active shooter situations.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
I not one of those retort with facts people, i just state how i feel. And how i feel is that if im driving down the road and someone wants to pass me they can get in the right lane and pass me, because the speed limit is the same in both lanes.
The slower traffic sign is for people who can't attain the posted speed limit, not those who do not drive as fast as you want them to. People hauling stuff, driving on spares, cars with transmission or engine problems....thats what was traditionally meant by slower traffic and that is what i adhere to.
For me, the speed limit trumps everything else. Speed limit 65 or 70, keep right except to pass, but do not drive above the speed limit. I'll get over if i can but if i cant youll just have to cry and deal.
Obeying the law isnt a choice or at least it shouldnt be. Maybe if you didnt know thats one thing but to blatantly defy it then thats something else.
Everyone seems to have missed the flaw in your thinking. There it is. The sign is for everyone. It says nothing about the speed limit. This is the reason for the whole problem. People reason that "slower traffic" means slower than the speed limit. However, that isn't what it means. The sign "keep right except to pass" eliminates this false reasoning and more accurately describes the law. I wish all states switched to that sign so we would be done with the wrong thinking that is the cause of all these problems.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I've always wondered this too! When driving the highway through a Metro area it seems like the far right is basically a "merge on/merge off" lane. If I am on the highway as "thru-traffic" I try to stay in the 2nd-most right hand lane.

I was taught (a bizillion years ago) that if someone is trying to merge onto the highway that you signal, look, change lanes as a courtesey to let the merging driver on. Since the right lane is my "comfort-zone" I typically would move back to it.

But on a 10+ lane freeway, the second I do that I see a sign saying "Right lane MUST exit ..." And then I have to change lanes again. That feels unsafe to me; I don't like feeling like I'm in a video game!
Thats why I hate driving in Atlanta, if you stay in the right lane you'll be forced to take an exit you don't want, and if you try to move back over people don't want to let you in.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I wish someone had reported this thread earlier. Duplicate topics are not permitted. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in prior threads and all have ended badly, with personal attacks and off-topic comments out the wazoo. Some inappropriate posts have been deleted from this thread, but there aren't enough hours in a day to clean up the whole thing. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive