Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
(1) Because you're NOBODY to tell me you think my speed is too fast, it's not affecting you (slow drivers do, they're basically committing a form of kidnapping a person) and (2) because you have no legal authority to enforce the speed limit laws, that's the job of the highway patrol etc and NOBODY else.

I do make one exception, and that is if you're in the left lane because you yourself are passing somebody and you simply haven't finished what you started. In that case, the person behind you can bloody well wait until you're done, you're under no obligation to interrupt what you're doing, go ahead and finish (just don't take all day to do so).

Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
|
if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
Because blocking that fast driver, forcing him to pass you on the right, is more dangerous than moving over to let him by.

And because it is simple courtesy. What is wrong with being courteous to other drivers? Who says it is necessary to **** off the other drivers, and what is your justification?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:58 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
why?

Why is your 80 mph Ok but his 105 not Ok? Hypocrite much?

Washington State Patrol thinks left lane obstructionists, which aren't going to be the people doing 80 in a 60, are enough of a problem to make a video about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA2pueFMh4

Old 08-27-2016, 06:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Yes and those signs also don't say the speed limit is not enforced in the left lane...you have no right to exceed the limit just because you are in the left lane.

I find it funny people who complain about left lane drivers but why are you in the left lane for so long? Most people who complain are complaining because they don't have a wide open stretch so they can do 90 mph. Yet at the same time they will tell people "it's for passing only" then rip up the road doing 90mph for miles...

Hypocrites or just plain old entitlement attitude.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
they say its the law, well my state say you do the speed limit and slower traffic mover left, but anything at the speed limit is not slow traffic, so just set back listen to the radio and cruise, remember you cant break the speed limit, so you cant do 105 in a 70 like you want

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
they say its the law, well my state say you do the speed limit and slower traffic mover left, but anything at the speed limit is not slow traffic, so just set back listen to the radio and cruise, remember you cant break the speed limit, so you cant do 105 in a 70 like you want
Do you have a reason why you choose not to be courteous to another driver, one who chooses to drive faster than you?

If you consider it your responsibility to enforce speed limits, then if the faster driver moves to pass you on the right, will you slide over to block him?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
why?

Did you watch the video? It explains why it is actually safer to go at a high rate of speed in the left lane. I'm not advocating going 105 in any lane, but the fact of the matter is that people rarely go the speed limit. Going too slow is actually less safe than going fast.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Correct. Which is why the law says slower traffic move right.

It's the law of two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone is already breaking one law (80 in a 60) doesn't make it right to break another law, slower traffic move right.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I get the impression several people in this thread didn't even watch the video. Whether you are doing the speed limit or not, if you're in the passing lane, and someone is behind you, move right. You are making the road more dangerous by not doing so. You are impeding traffic by not doing so. People shouldn't be staying in the left lane for long lengths of time regardless of their speed. Use it to pass, then move out. Don't stay there, whether you are a speed demon or self-righteous church lady who wants to force people to slow. Get in, pass, get out. Simple.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:34 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I get the impression several people in this thread didn't even watch the video. Whether you are doing the speed limit or not, if you're in the passing lane, and someone is behind you, move right. You are making the road more dangerous by not doing so. You are impeding traffic by not doing so. People shouldn't be staying in the left lane for long lengths of time regardless of their speed. Use it to pass, then move out. Don't stay there, whether you are a speed demon or self-righteous church lady who wants to force people to slow. Get in, pass, get out. Simple.
Its not difficult to learn or do. I'd be willing to bet most speeders understand the concept comparatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive