Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:51 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this question, but it seemed like the closest thing.

I was wondering if anyone knew about adding a non-owner occasional driver to a car insurance policy. I've been delaying getting my unrestricted license because of the increase in insurance premiums for teenagers (I am now 19 and have had my permit for 4 years). For several months now I've been contacting my parents' agent trying to discern exactly how much the increase would be.

Finally, he e-mailed me today saying that it would be an additional $97/month, or nearly $1200/year. This surprised me, to say the least, considering my older sister was 18 when she got her license, and had already bought an SUV (I do not own a car at all), yet the premium only went up $800/year for her (that was about 6 years ago). I would have thought it would be considerably less for me to be added, being that I am a year older and do not own a car.

So, I am just trying to figure out what I should do. I really didn't want to have to come up with an extra $100/month just to be able to drive my mom's car once in awhile. Maybe I should I just wait another year or two...

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Best to check with the many Insurance companies in your area about this situation, and see what their costs are to have you on your Mom's policy.

In many states, insurance companies automatically include teen drivers (and charge for them) if they are living in the household with the primary insured (your Mom). The assumption is that you, as a licensed driver and not owning a car, will drive your Mom's car (with her permission, of course) from time to time.

Historically, young men are more accident prone than young women, so the insurance company rates reflect this difference between you and your sister.

There are ways you can generally help to lower your insurance costs. Inquire about driver training or other safety classes, or "good student" discounts available to help with your rates. The most important thing is to "shop around" for your needs and find an agent that will work with you to get the best rates possible. It also helps to be careful about the type of car you want to insure ... certain makes/models are much more expensive, especially if you're looking at a "performance" car, or a 4x4 truck, or cars with a poor accident safety history, and so forth. Essentially, you're paying for the perceived risk that an insurance company takes on for your premium.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Best to check with the many Insurance companies in your area about this situation, and see what their costs are to have you on your Mom's policy.

In many states, insurance companies automatically include teen drivers (and charge for them) if they are living in the household with the primary insured (your Mom). The assumption is that you, as a licensed driver and not owning a car, will drive your Mom's car (with her permission, of course) from time to time.

Historically, young men are more accident prone than young women, so the insurance company rates reflect this difference between you and your sister.

There are ways you can generally help to lower your insurance costs. Inquire about driver training or other safety classes, or "good student" discounts available to help with your rates. The most important thing is to "shop around" for your needs and find an agent that will work with you to get the best rates possible. It also helps to be careful about the type of car you want to insure ... certain makes/models are much more expensive, especially if you're looking at a "performance" car, or a 4x4 truck, or cars with a poor accident safety history, and so forth. Essentially, you're paying for the perceived risk that an insurance company takes on for your premium.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm a girl, by the way . So, that's obviously not the reason for the difference in rates between my sister and I.

I don't own a car, and wasn't really planning on owning one for at least a year. My dad is currently driving a '96 Taurus that I will end up getting. My mom drives a Mercury Grand Marquis. Together they are paying about $1700/year for both of them and their cars. That's under $900 each.

So, yeah, I will definitely be asking around at different companies. It still doesn't really make sense that I would have to pay $1200 a year, even if I had a car.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
For adding a young person, $1200 a year is a bargain from what I have seen. Back when I started driving (we won't go into exactly when that might have been, but probably about the same time your Dad did.) My insurance was $297 a month for one vehicle.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
For adding a young person, $1200 a year is a bargain from what I have seen. Back when I started driving (we won't go into exactly when that might have been, but probably about the same time your Dad did.) My insurance was $297 a month for one vehicle.
Well, I am not going to be driving my own car. And I was under the impression that being added to your parents' policy was considerably cheaper than getting one in your own name.

But that still doesn't explain why my sister was able to add an SUV at age 18 for only $800/year. And she failed her first driving test. My parents' premiums have not increased since then. I definitely don't think I should have to pay more than $800/year when I do not own a car and I have a perfect driving record.

PS: My dad probably starting driving in 1967, when he was 16. I don't know how much he was paying for insurance, though, or if he even had any.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKrist View Post

But that still doesn't explain why my sister was able to add an SUV at age 18 for only $800/year. And she failed her first driving test. My parents' premiums have not increased since then. I definitely don't think I should have to pay more than $800/year when I do not own a car and I have a perfect driving record.
A lot of factors can go into it. Keep in mind, $1200 is only $400 more (or $33.33 per month) more than what your sister was paying. Perhaps the SUV had safety features not available on the other two cars. Perhaps the insurance company calculated the premium based on her being the primary driver of that one SUV as opposed to you being the secondary driver of two cars. Perhaps there were changes placed on the policy limits mandated by either the state...or implemented by your parents. Maybe there were some traffic tickets that some one in the family received.

Bottom line is sometimes there is no rhyme or reason from the consumer's perspective on car insurance premiums. For example...my mother has always had excellent car insurance rates. Yet last year they raised her rates (instead of lowering them) because the state's laws on insurance changed. You just never know.

Lucky you though; when I was 16 I had to front my own insurance; $200/month for 9 months a year...ouch

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
A lot of factors can go into it. Keep in mind, $1200 is only $400 more (or $33.33 per month) more than what your sister was paying. Perhaps the SUV had safety features not available on the other two cars. Perhaps the insurance company calculated the premium based on her being the primary driver of that one SUV as opposed to you being the secondary driver of two cars. Perhaps there were changes placed on the policy limits mandated by either the state...or implemented by your parents. Maybe there were some traffic tickets that some one in the family received.

Bottom line is sometimes there is no rhyme or reason from the consumer's perspective on car insurance premiums. For example...my mother has always had excellent car insurance rates. Yet last year they raised her rates (instead of lowering them) because the state's laws on insurance changed. You just never know.

Lucky you though; when I was 16 I had to front my own insurance; $200/month for 9 months a year...ouch
Those are all possibilities, I suppose. Although I happen to know that it costs more to insure an SUV because they tend to cause the other car more damage when there's a collision. My sister's car was the third one on my parents' policy at the time. In my case there isn't going to be any third car involved.

Also, I wouldn't be added as a secondary driver (my parents' are each the secondary driver of each other's car). I would only be an "occasional" driver. And there haven't been any tickets, either. I guess this is just one of those "no rhyme or reason" situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance