U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM

289 posts, read 1,044,084 times

Advertisements

Earlier this week I hit a massive pothole that knocked out my headlight, broke my wheel and no doubt did some damage to my suspension. I have an appointment later on today at the shop my insurance referred me to.

I know my strut is messed up because I did the old push down the bumper deal and the car bounces over 3 times on this side, and only 1 on the good side.

My question is: If the insurance company does offer to return my car to it's previous state, will they only replace 1 strut, or will they do both? I am under the impression they would do both, since one usually replaces front end items, such as brakes, tires, and coils in pairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,529,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_47_00 View Post
Earlier this week I hit a massive pothole that knocked out my headlight, broke my wheel and no doubt did some damage to my suspension. I have an appointment later on today at the shop my insurance referred me to.

I know my strut is messed up because I did the old push down the bumper deal and the car bounces over 3 times on this side, and only 1 on the good side.

My question is: If the insurance company does offer to return my car to it's previous state, will they only replace 1 strut, or will they do both? I am under the impression they would do both, since one usually replaces front end items, such as brakes, tires, and coils in pairs.
Both must be replaced as it is a serious safety issue replacing only one. Though it is possible they may check it out to make sure it wasn't leaking prior to your pothole incident in which case you may be paying to replace them. I just had to replace the ones on the wifey's jeep as she had one that started to leak right after the dang warranty ran out on em

Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Both must be replaced as it is a serious safety issue replacing only one. Though it is possible they may check it out to make sure it wasn't leaking prior to your pothole incident in which case you may be paying to replace them.
I know that when I took off the wheel last night that the strut cover "boot" was all shredded. Now that I think about, it they will probably say it was like this before, but I know the strut itself was fine, because my car never rode like this before.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,529,449 times
Some insurance companies can be real weenies about this kinda stuff and others...no questions asked. I assume you have already contacted them and asked about this? What about the municipality where this pothole was...is there any chance of putting the liability there instead of gong though your insurance?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Some insurance companies can be real weenies about this kinda stuff and others...no questions asked. I assume you have already contacted them and asked about this? What about the municipality where this pothole was...is there any chance of putting the liability there instead of gong though your insurance?
See, I was going to file with the state of Ohio, but they want to know the price before they consider reimbusing someone. I was also told that the chances of me getting anything was slim to none and I would have to wait a long time. Even though this happened on a State Route, I still don't see the state doing anything since I didn't file a police report or take pictures of the hole.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 AM

8,930 posts, read 7,095,781 times
You might be better off paying for the repairs yourself if they are not too high. You're going to be hit with a higher premium for 3 years because of this.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM

I asked and the lady said that incidents such as this don't typically raise the premium. I don't see why they should. This has nothing to do with being a bad driver.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM

8,930 posts, read 7,095,781 times
Quote:
I asked and the lady said that incidents such as this don't typically raise the premium. I don't see why they should. This has nothing to do with being a bad driver.

I wouldn't settle for "typically". I'd want a yes or no answer. Is it going to affect my premium or not?

I've seen similar incidents and the loss was classified as an "at-fault" incident which will increase your rate.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Snake, I did confirm that it is not an at fault a few minutes ago over the phone. I had two "representatives" tell me I was 0% liable. Thank you for the heads up. Now I have to wait and see what they will pay.

If the cost is near the deductible I am going to pay for it.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:44 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,711,323 times
Quote:
Snake, I did confirm that it is not an at fault a few minutes ago over the phone. I had two "representatives" tell me I was 0% liable. Thank you for the heads up. Now I have to wait and see what they will pay.

If the cost is near the deductible I am going to pay for it.
Your incident is becoming more and more common especially here in Los Angeles. We are now on a road repair & repave slowdown. patches are done by hand and they last only a few weeks.

If the insurance co. only wants to pay for one strut... inform them that both should be replaced at the same time per the mechanic and common sense.

If they insist on their position, you should demand that they put it in writing stating that you advised them that both should be changed and they will be liable in the event on any future incident involving the vehicle and welfare of you, your family, and any passenger. If they refuse to put it in writing, you write the letter to them, and put them on notice. Send it Certified to your claim adjuster.

You will most likely receive an additional allowance or approval for the 2nd strut, which is what should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive