Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:34 AM

346 posts, read 354,870 times

Advertisements

I owned a Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine. At first it was great 30 miles to the gallon on the hwy. and even 22 when I pulled my trailer. The the problems started and never ended, after pouring $8000 into a $20000 purchase I traded it. I had owned it 5 years. I bought a 2011 Tacoma pickup and have driven it 70,000 miles with no maintenance at all other than oil changes. I get 22 miles per gallon on the HWY and 12 pulling my trailer, but you can buy a lot of gas with $8000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,357,754 times
Quote:
Diesel engines....are they good?
Yes.

A few advantages of diesel engines that I can think of:
1. They last longer
2. They are more reliable
3. They are more efficient
4. Diesel fuel is a lot safer than gasoline
5. Diesel engines can accept synthetic fuel
For other advantages, see here: 8 Advantages of Diesel Engines | WyoTech Latest News and Events

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 11-19-2016 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,592,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Yes.

A few advantages of diesel engines that I can think of:
1. They last longer
2. They are more reliable
3. They are more efficient
4. Diesel fuel is a lot safer than gasoline
5. Diesel engines can accept synthetic fuel
For other advantages, see here: 8 Advantages of Diesel Engines | WyoTech Latest News and Events

Yes, they are good if you steer clear of some that have had issues (6.0 & 6.4 Powerstrokes for example).

However, you do pay a premium up front for them and if buying a diesel truck you need to be able to actually work the engine if you want it to be reliable. Putting around town isn't good for the engine with all the new emissions equipment on them. You have to work the engine hard enough for it to regen properly. Otherwise, it will constantly attempt to force a regen and could potentially cause expensive problems (clogged DPF for example).

The efficiency of a diesel isn't noticed as much until you put a load behind it. That's when it really shines. You may lose 1-2 mpg towing a heavier load whereas a comparable load behind a gas burner may cause mpg to drop by 3-5 mpg.

If you are in a state where emissions aren't tested (like mine) you can delete the emissions equipment and see substantial improvements in both MPG and power. My F250 made 620 HP / 1103 lb/ft torque while getting 21.5 mpg on average (while carrying 70 gallons of fuel on board) When I delete my Cummins, the numbers are estimated to be around 500 HP/1000 lb/ft torque at 18-19 mpg in town.

Once deleted, the efficiency really shines. But one must use caution when doing this as many states prohibit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive