Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Being in the business, I can tell you this...
Sorry but you have a very undesirable car.. 4 door with manual transmission hurts the value a lot.. Forget nada.. They are going to use the black book on your car... If you have decent miles (under 25k).. You will be close to 7000. If you are lucky...
Thank you. Correct.

Somewhere around 10% drive manual transmission vehicles. Very limited market.

If you don't like the car dump it. Take your loses. And move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Long story short, I can not stand my 2014 Chevy Cruze.

Test drove a couple and really liked them, but after owning one for three months it has rubbed me the wrong way. The seats are horrible, it's slow, and has the personality of __-insert choice here-___.

It is in perfect condition, low mileage and rides nice, but the manual transmission is the worst one I've ever owned.

Sadly, no one is in the market for any vehicle, and after one month of trying to sell it, I a, starting to feel desperate. So the idea of trading it crossed my mind, but have never done this. It is paid for, and a 9.5 out of 10. Has excellent winter tires and books for trade-in at $9875, I only paid $10500.

Will dealers trade for trade? I don't want to be entirely ripped off, so idealy would like to do a nada trade for nada trade. Not my nada trade-in for their nada retail.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Someone of you are only reading the original post and not following through. I had an offer for what I wanted $10k, but head guy who makes final call at the dealer backed out when he reviewed and found it was a manual - fair enough. There is another dealer a friend said it s worth checking out. The guy is fair and likes to work with people, and turns out he owned the house next to my mother-in-law. She stated he is a really nice guy and would be worth talking to for 5-minutes just to see what he has to say. We stopped at his lot after hours and most of the trucks have higher mileage, but his prices are fair and spot on / under slightly from NADA listing.

@jaypee, last asking price was $12k - was lowered to $11500 today. I am just going to hold out for a while longer and only drive it when needed. We will use my wife's vehicle more often for now. However, if we're feeling good tomorrow, we may stop at that dealer for fun and see what happens.
You bought the car at $10,500, you hate it, you KNOW nobody wants a manual shift of this particular car, yet you think you can make a profit on it? Best of luck.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You bought the car at $10,500, you hate it, you KNOW nobody wants a manual shift of this particular car, yet you think you can make a profit on it? Best of luck.
I am sure OP can speak for himself, I am sure he knows he can profit as you call it. Like anyone trying to get rid of their car, they are trying to get a fair deal or minimize the hurt

Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Most dealers will want to make money off of the deal, even if you could one that would do an "even trade", they'll still try to stick you with a doc fee and other hidden costs.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:04 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Why would someone pay $11,500 for a used, manual, 3-year-old Cruze when they can get a brand-new Mazda 3 for not significantly more?

I think you are overvaluing this car by quite a bit. It sounds like a $7500 car to me.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Like others have said there is a wholesale price for your trade and a retail price for the new car.

When I worked at a dealer we had a few guys come in and they traded down and we paid them the difference.

They bought a new car that was less money than their trade was worth.

It is what it is. Not too many are going to pay you retail for your trade but you could always sell it yourself in a private deal and bring the proceeds to buy your new car.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
What kind of Cruze do you have? Is it one of the sportier looking LTZ models, or the more basic looking LS or Eco models? If the car looks good you may be able to get a used car lot to put it on consignment for you, you just tell them the minimum you'll take, and anything over that they keep. There's a dealer in my town that does that all the time for people.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Someone of you are only reading the original post and not following through. I had an offer for what I wanted $10k, but head guy who makes final call at the dealer backed out when he reviewed and found it was a manual - fair enough.
You've said this a couple of times and I'll just point out a fact you're overlooking.

You did not have an offer for $10,000. If you did you could have left the dealership with $10,000 in your pocket and the car in their inventory. What you had is a salesman's statement that he would like to buy the car at that price, but he didn't have authority to offer to buy the car at that price.

You may find someone who is willing to buy your car at the price you want--it only takes one--but the fact that you felt that you were close to getting your price doesn't prove that you will.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:12 AM

256 posts, read 453,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Thank you. Correct.

Somewhere around 10% drive manual transmission vehicles. Very limited market.

If you don't like the car dump it. Take your loses. And move on.

This is what happened yesterday. Wasn't going to, but wife insisted because she does not like sitting in small cars and wasn't comfortable. She has a 2016 Escape that is hers, however we use my vehicle often so I wanted her to feel safe and let her make the final decision.

We got $8800 which isn't bad considering I flipped two other cars for a $1950 profit earlier this summer, we decided it was okay to take a hit. We came to the conclusion after we looked at listing dates of other manual transmission equipped vehicles. Majority of them have been listed 5 or more months and they're going dirt cheap.

Anyways we picked up a 2006 SAAB 9-7X fully equipped with only 85,000 miles for a really great deal. We can not be any happier! It rides smooth, everything is tight and needs very little to be perfect. We got 22mpg all the way home cruising at 65mph through the mountains. We paid private party price and about $2500 under dealer price. The kiddos love having tons of room, and wife enjoyed her heated leather seats.

Only thing it needs is a good detailing and a oil change. Since this is basically a GM maintenance will be cake. The tires are new and came with a winter set in great condition.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:16 AM

256 posts, read 453,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why would someone pay $11,500 for a used, manual, 3-year-old Cruze when they can get a brand-new Mazda 3 for not significantly more?

I think you are overvaluing this car by quite a bit. It sounds like a $7500 car to me.
It was less than two years old since build date. These cars sell for this all the time when the market is not flooded with rental fleets that were just auctioned off. Plus, Alaska has a different set of values than the lower 48. Everything is more expensive here since dealers can mark whatever they want and people typically pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive