Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

My phone is set up so that Waze is the default NAV, so my phone automatically sends that address to Waze. OK the Routing, hit GO, and start you engines!
That is what i need to figure out. My phone defaults to google maps.

All of the systems drive me nuts. When I ask it to navigate, I want directions. I do not want a bunch of questions that require me to look at my phone and tap in answers. Do I want to turn on location? "Sure whatever that is, why are you asking me?" Do I want to access my contacts? Why do you need to ask that now? I just gave you the address I want. Do I want to taccess my facebook account? WTF? O crud, now I have to stop and go back for my phone. It cannot give me directions if I throw it out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:22 AM

18,829 posts, read 27,268,040 times
I was total Waze supporter. Until recent.
They just did an update and for the last several weeks, it's doing a lot of "searching for network". What means - it still navigates, except that you do not get any alerts or can send any. Simply can not connect to WAZE network.
Also, started dropping GPS way too often.
Basically, works very erratically. I fell as low as to start using Google Maps.
Still much better than factory nav.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,163,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
They just did an update and for the last several weeks, it's doing a lot of "searching for network". What means - it still navigates, except that you do not get any alerts or can send any. Simply can not connect to WAZE network.
Yeah I noticed this a bit too, however I would sit tight before swearing it off. Occasionally with apps there are some unexpected negative outcomes after an update, that they fix in the next or coming updates.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,213,647 times
I use waze but not for navigation. find apple maps to be just fine for my needs.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:11 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
I completely swear by Waze traffic rerouting. I use the Google Maps traffic color coding to get the overall view of things but I have Waze up for the speed traps and rerouting. I have an iPhone but I never use the native mapping program. I pretty much only use the NAV in the car when I don't have cell phone reception. It's useful as a backup.

220 miles is usually my maximum driving distance and I've never encountered the Waze lockup issue.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:52 PM

18,829 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Yeah I noticed this a bit too, however I would sit tight before swearing it off. Occasionally with apps there are some unexpected negative outcomes after an update, that they fix in the next or coming updates.

Actually it's known issue and been around for some time. They never fixed it. It started suddenly for me. Waze was very reliable ever I started using it.
Something tells me, it coincided with my cell update done not so long ago and now Waze simply does not like that update or update does not like Waze.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,799,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is what i need to figure out. My phone defaults to google maps.

All of the systems drive me nuts. When I ask it to navigate, I want directions. I do not want a bunch of questions that require me to look at my phone and tap in answers. Do I want to turn on location? "Sure whatever that is, why are you asking me?" Do I want to access my contacts? Why do you need to ask that now? I just gave you the address I want. Do I want to access my facebook account? WTF? O crud, now I have to stop and go back for my phone. It cannot give me directions if I throw it out the window.

This is several, moderately complicate questions, so forgive my detailed answers:

DEFAULT APPS:
The Android operating system has a way for you to select some data, and then define what is the default app (program) it will open with said data.
IE: it recognizes a "text string format in a way that makes up an address" as a special kind of data that it will send to your choice of Nav programs.

If you have made this choice, and want to change it, (IE: your phone automatically opens up GoogleNav when you long-click on an address, and you want it to be Waze), then Android requires you to clear the default, and then select a new one (two distinct steps).

To clear the setting that determines which app is automatically loaded when you long-press on an address:
Settings / More / Application Manager / All / (scroll way down and short-press) Maps / (scroll down and short-press) Clear Defaults

Now, go to an address somewhere, in Contacts or Calendar or whatever, and long-press. It will ask you which app to load. Now is the time to decide if you want a default, or prefer to make this decision each time you select an address.

TURN ON LOCATION:
This is Android's way of make sure you don't mind it using GPS and / or Cell-tower-triangulation (which speeds up GPS a lot!) to show your phone's location. Location is used by Nav apps, or others (like a Pizza Chain Delivery app) that is greatly simplified if it knows your approximate location. However, it DOES take up a small amount of power so some leave it disabled when not needed.

DO I WANT TO ACCESS MY CONTACTS?
This is a one-time decision within the settings of Waze, where, if you allow, it has access to your Contacts list for names and addresses. IE: If you enable that setting, then when you want to use Waze to navigate to the house of "John Smith", you would enter (or say) John Smith at the Waze address input, and it will know to look within your contacts for a match to that name, and use the associated address - therefore saving you the effort of remembering and entering the whole address.

Same thing for Access to Facebook accounts.
Waze can use the Facebook account name of your friend to make it very easy for you to send a message within Waze, and Waze uses their Facebook ID when you send them your Waze itinerary and ETA.

You should read up on the many, mostly VERY useful capabilities of Waze, and make the above decisions ONCE, and then Waze won't bug you with those questions again.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Simple fix, just go to Google maps and offline area and select the area that you want to enable offline maps. Takes a few minutes and the entire area will be available for offline use.

If Waze is still having problems, consider looking at your GPS settings to ensure that it is configured correctly.

I don't have any big issues with Waze other than the sometimes poor routing choices it offers that I normally use it just for traffic avoidance and cop checkpoint lookout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive