Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 AM

676 posts, read 725,439 times

Advertisements

Just an fyi, my brother worked at a shop that made car parts and the out of spec parts got sent to mexico. Of course their were good parts with the bad, but the bad never stayed here in the US. I wouldn't buy a car made in mexico but I also wouldn't disown a whole company for making some of their cars in another country, they all do that.

Also it really dont matter where the car is made, the money is still going to where ever the headquarters is. So buying a honda may help some ppl here but in the big picture that money is bettering the other countries economy more because that is where the majority of the cash is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,882 times
A friend of mine has a 2013 Fusion, says the transmission is shot already. I have never had a problem with Honda or Toyota. In other news, my 2014 Chrysler constantly gives me issues, like engine codes, transmission shimmying, power doors that don't close properly. Don't even get me started on my Wrangler, what a POS.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Good luck with that Accord. I worked at that plant in Ohio. They couldn't make a good part to save their lives due to the crap equipment in the plant that needed replaced or an actual repair, but the company was too cheap to do anything but jury rig everything into a barely functional plant. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty integral part of the wheel assembly that we made. We had whole shipments of parts sent back to us on a regular basis because they didn't pass inspection outside of the plant. I won't touch an Accord with a model year over 96. Neither will anyone who has ever worked at that plant.
So far so good, plus i only lease. I guess the next person will have to deal with any issues that arise.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Cool story.

Mexico is in North America which if squint and turn your head just right would make it an American car.

Eyeroll post doesnt deserve anymore thought.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You were trying to be patriotic but instead of buying a Ford you're thinking about buying a Mazda instead?
Carry on.
First off, I am not buying now. I bought a Lexus last month for myself, which incidentally brings up another point. American manufacturers have ceded the luxury segment to the Japanese and Germans, but that is for another thread. As for Ford, somebody has to send them a message. Why aren't you in the US? Toyota is building cars, why can't you? And where all the savings? Fusions are priced within a few dollars of all its competitors, domestic or Japanese.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb140430 View Post
Trying to buy an "American" car is a losing game in the age of globalization. As previous posters have said, there isn't one "vegan" choice which does not use foreign parts.
This is not hard. When it says on the window sticker that the point of origin is Mexico, then it is a Mexican car. Same happened to VW. The year they moved production to Mexico way back, they stopped being a German car to me.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
He's 25 and you took him car shopping? And you picked out a car for him and talked him into looking at it?

Do you want to make a generational statement about all millennials based on that as well?
I didn't pick out anything. They don't know the first thing about financing, lease terms, residuals, options etc. etc. Millennials are not into cars as such. They have no interest in what is under the hood. The interior is what makes or breaks the deal, specifically the infotainment system, bluetooth, 11 speaker Bose sound etc. Horsepower? Nah. We looked at the Optima. It's a great looking car but that puny screen was enough to turn him away. You could stuff 5 turbos in it and still wouldn't make a difference.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:07 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I am not about to jump on the OP like the rest of the lemmings here. I am not a big fan of Ford, cause of the insurance salemen image of the Fusion but I got to say this. Every Ford I have been in has by far the coldest AC ever.
Lol...I just rented a Ford Focus when my car was totaled. I had it for 3 weeks while I test drove a gazillion cars. It was a really hot three weeks with highs near 100.

You are right about the AC. Many of the cars I drove could not compete with that. I also liked the exterior look and interior styling the best of all.

But the Focus has a big problem with acceleration and/or transmission. We called the car 'Lurch' because it did. A Lot.

I bought a Prius. Not exactly a speed demon (The Mazdas beat all for acceleration) but at least it's smooth.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We were out car shopping today for my son (25). This is his second car. The lease on his Rav4 was up a few days ago. Now he is looking to get a sedan in the midsize category. Read Camry/Accord/Mazda 6/ etc. If my son is any indication, American car brands are in trouble among the up and coming generation. American cars are not even on his radar. I thought Fusions are one of the better looking cars on the market so I talked him into looking at one. First off, Ford is not a brand that millennials particularly want to be seen in. Second, the window sticker was prominently advertising that the car is Made in Mexico as well as the engine. He looked no further, and neither did I. I was trying to be patriotic but was kicked in the mouth like this. If Ford doesn't understand that part of their appeal is being American, then they don't know their customers. He is leaning toward Mazda 6.
I find it bordering on bizarre that you won't consider a car made in Mexico but a car built in Japan is quite alright.

Also sadly amusing is that you are shopping for a vehicle with your millennial adult child and you justify this excursion because "they don't know the first thing about financing, lease terms, residuals, options etc. etc."

Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
go vote for Trump. He plans to build a wall and cut a lot of business ties with South America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive