U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,031,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Hell no. Tow truck drivers are a holes.
Well, there's two kind of tow truck drivers:

The ones you call to come help you.....good

The ones that come for you when you're illegally parked....a holes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,479,604 times
It never occurred to me to tip a tow driver for performing his job.

What makes their job so special and more deserving of a tip over other people in other professions?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 AM

906 posts, read 905,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It never occurred to me to tip a tow driver for performing his job.

What makes their job so special and more deserving of a tip over other people in other professions?

What makes a taxi driver deserving of a tip, but a tow truck driver not deserving? Is it that the harder you work and the more dangerous you job is and the more risk there is in screwing something up, the less deserving you are of a tip?

After thinking about this for a while, I think the fact that they have to deal face to face with with the public on a daily basis is what makes them deserving of a tip. I'm not saying it's right, but that seems to be the deciding factor between people who customarily get tips, and those that don't.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 AM

35,102 posts, read 47,936,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, there's two kind of tow truck drivers:
The ones you call to come help you.....good
The ones that come for you when you're illegally parked....a holes
If you are illegally parked why are the tow truck drivers the *a holes*?
They are not the ones breaking the law.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 74,339,334 times
I usually tip them because I use AAA and I know they get paid a very reduced rate for the call. I do not know whether that impacts the drivers though. They likely get paid the same.

I would never tip a guy who towed my car for being parked illegally.

I have had a run in when they towed my car (illegally, I had a permit, they just did not see it) and damaged it and then tried to claim it was already scratched when they got there. Aside from the fact the scratch could not have happened where my car was parked, a neighbor saw them put it on the truck, saw them scratch it and heard them say "Oh ****" They denied it until I sued them in small claims court, then they promptly paid the bill.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM

7,251 posts, read 4,381,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Tipping is out of control.
I agree with you.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,652,166 times
I have always used AAA when calling a tow truck driver, or for a battery service, and since the drivers have a contracted rate that's lower than they would get on their own, I always tip. Perhaps it's my demeanor, but I have always had a good experience with a tow driver, even one who seemed rather gruff when he pulled up, as if he was bothered by having to rescue a pain in the neck German car driver. With this particular guy, he said that I didn't have to give him a tip when I offered it, and I said that I wanted to, and I'd buy him a cup of coffee and breakfast (at 3am), but he had to schlep the car to the dealership. And, for having to do that, he deserved a good meal, since it was miles away and I was paying nothing for the tow. It never hurts to have a good reputation with tow truck guys, the good ones.

Some of the illegal tow jockeys are pains in the neck with their predatory practices. I was even towed from a property that I own by a former tenant who was a complete moron, and lied to get my car towed, and damaged, since it was an AWD vehicle that had obviously been dragged. They were not tipped, and when faced with a lawsuit, repaired the car, since they towed it from my own rental property without the property owner's consent, and without the consent of a legal occupant as their driver never checked the driver's license of my former tenant as it was issued in another state and not changed, which was illegal under the statutes of the municipality in which the property is located.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,031,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are illegally parked why are the tow truck drivers the *a holes*?
They are not the ones breaking the law.
I wasn't referring to myself...I NEVER park illegally, ever.

But people that do usually hate tow truck drivers. But people will take a chance and then get mad when they're caught. I had to resort to a towing company to control commuter parking at a commercial property I own...and some folks think I'm an a hole for doing it!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM

16,737 posts, read 25,519,549 times
Y'all are a bunch of cheapskates. I don't usually brag about how much I tip, until now.

I tipped the last tow truck driver 40 bucks for getting me and my 63 Chrysler home safe and sound at about 3:00 am to my home in Pueblo West from near Powers and Platte in Colorado Springs Colorado because those hacks from Colorado Springs would not come and get me for one thing, secondly, they didn't offer to take my car some 60 miles to my home if they had.

So, I called up a towing company in Pueblo Colorado and we got it done.

I notified a couple of City-data forum users for suggestions and all they had for me was, "should have had AAA, best of luck.

Statistically, I only need a tow about once every 15 years or so.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-07-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 12:35 PM

6,969 posts, read 5,173,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I used to date a shadetree mechanic, and he insisted that I must tip the tow truck driver, which I have no objection to doing as they are usually saving my butt. My car broke down and I had no cash on me, but when the tow truck driver brought me and my truck home, my bf at the time literally raided our grocery money to give the guy a tip. It was the first time I'd ever needed a tow. I later dated a tow truck driver, and we'd eat out on the tips he'd get from his customers when he'd had a good week.

However, I tried to tip a tow truck driver who towed my pickup a couple years ago, and he was insulted that I offered a tip. And I just tipped the guy towing my Subaru, and he seemed surprised I gave him a tip.

So I'm confused. It's not like this comes up often - maybe once every three years or so - but I'm kinda curious what the proper etiquette is.
They get 30% of the tow fee. No, they don't get a tip from me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive