U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:39 PM

278 posts, read 411,206 times

Advertisements

As a tow truck operator (not just a driver). A tip is not expected but it is always appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:45 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,479,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
What makes a taxi driver deserving of a tip, but a tow truck driver not deserving? Is it that the harder you work and the more dangerous you job is and the more risk there is in screwing something up, the less deserving you are of a tip?
You are assuming I think taxi drivers deserve tips just for transporting a person without luggage a couple of miles. I don't.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 PM

670 posts, read 643,467 times
I always tip the tow truck between $10 - $20. I watch them hook my car up and know I'd hate to be doing that all day so in my mind they deserve a tip. It's not enough money to loose sleep over and it shows appreciation.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 AM

8,781 posts, read 14,987,651 times
I will never understand the concept of tipping in this country. I would not be tipping a tow truck driver. Its their job and their paid to do it. I don't believe their pay scale is the same as a server. Which as far as I'm concerned is where tipping is understandable. Other than jobs based on that type of pay scale, tipping is taking advantage of consumers. It's disgraceful how many people expect tips. It basically is glorified begging, and nothing less. I'm sorry but if a tow truck driver expected a tip from me. Then find another customer please.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,561,516 times
I tipped one a few years ago. My right front suspension had snapped at about 45 mph on a narrow road on a cold winter day . The wheel tucked under the car at an angle and the fender wedged/dropped on the wheel. I was fortunate to stop the car safely on the narrow shoulder. It was wedged and totally immobile, and as it turned out basically undamaged except for the snapped control arm.

The first AAA tow guy came with a regular flatbed truck. We evaluated the situation. We agreed that using the flatbed's winch to drag the car onto the liftback could seriously damage the fender and maybe a lot more, like the wheel/tire and maybe suspension or brake parts. I didn't like that. (I'm also wasn't sure if the insurance would cover the damage since it wasn't from a collision...or want the hassle to have to try.)

We agreed an old tow truck and dolly setup could do better. I sent tow guy #1 back and called AAA again.

Tow guy #2 came. He still couldn't just lift the front end and drag the car onto the dolly. I meant to mention the car was also AWD...just to complicate it a bit. The tow guy ended up on his back under the car in the ditch in the cold/wet winter day for 20 minutes. He used a big pry bar to bend and manipulate the suspension/wheel enough to enable the front end to move without damaging the car further. After about 45 minutes (or more) he got the car on the dolly and towed it.

He told me he was paid by the hour so would get something more than a simple job...but also I tipped him...and thanked him a few times. (I don't recall how much...I think $25 to $50)

I would do it again in a minute...

Last edited by jimazee; 09-10-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 02:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,030,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I will never understand the concept of tipping in this country. I would not be tipping a tow truck driver. Its their job and their paid to do it. I don't believe their pay scale is the same as a server. Which as far as I'm concerned is where tipping is understandable. Other than jobs based on that type of pay scale, tipping is taking advantage of consumers. It's disgraceful how many people expect tips. It basically is glorified begging, and nothing less. I'm sorry but if a tow truck driver expected a tip from me. Then find another customer please.

I seriously doubt that many (or any) tow truck drivers "expect" tips....they know that most people are like you.

I tip any worker that does a good job for me. Judging by how surprised they are to receive a tip, it must not happen often.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 PM

2,774 posts, read 1,708,430 times
I would tip tow truck drivers if they were nice, helpful, patient, diligent etc.
But if they're doing their work with a usual routine then no.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 AM

4,671 posts, read 5,404,684 times
This is not a 3rd world country in which people are paid so low, a tip is what will help them make a actual living.

You are already paying a tow truck driver $50-100+ to tow your car, why should they get a $10-20+ tip for doing what they are supposed to do, unless they go out of their way to do something for you like a few examples have been listed.

I remembered being rear ended years ago and the tow truck driver had the nerve to ask me if I would like for him to attempt to pull the fender off the tire, so the car could be driven home and then say I will be a $30 charge for each attempted tug that he does on the fender.

I dont believe taxi drivers should be tipped either as you are paying them to take you from point A to point B safely.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,479,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
I would tip tow truck drivers if they were nice, helpful, patient, diligent etc.
But if they're doing their work with a usual routine then no.
But doing their work routinely should include them being nice, patient, diligent, no?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 PM

906 posts, read 905,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

You are already paying a tow truck driver $50-100+ to tow your car, why should they get a $10-20+ tip for doing what they are supposed to do.
Unless that tow truck operator works for themselves and owns their wrecker outright, and doesn't have to pay for fuel or insurance or any other expenses for some reason, most of that money doesn't go to them.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but there's a good chance that you make more money per year than the average tow truck driver does, while they have to often work in miserable and dangerous conditions while having to deal with ungrateful jerks all day long while keeping a smile on their face.

Personally I agree that if they are just doing an average or sub-average job, they probably deserve whatever their employer is giving them and nothing more. I'm fine with that. If, however, you can clearly see that they are going above and beyond to provide excellent service to you, no matter how miserable the conditions outside may be, maybe they deserve a little extra.

Here's an example of different situations... Maybe you call them to bring your vehicle from your driveway to the dealer across town. It's a nice sunny day and there is really no urgency. The driver does what they need to do and they get your vehicle there safely. Fine, don't give them a tip.

Situation #2. It's night time in the middle of winter and you lose control of your vehicle and skid into the ditch. Your car is deeply buried in snow. You and your family are stranded and need help. The tow truck operator shows up as soon as they can, works hard to get your vehicle out of the mess that you put it, and you and your family is soon allowed to be on your way. In this situation I would not see any problem with throwing the operator a few extra bones.

Last edited by bfrabel; 09-12-2016 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive