Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times

Advertisements

Has anyone successfully removed the keypad on the driver side door on a Ford Crown Victoria? Mine broke and I've been interesting in removing it. How many wires will I have to be involved with and will there be a lot of holes? Anything you recommend? I know it's easy to do but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I get started. I own a 2004 Crown Vic LX btw. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
What are you planing on replacing it with? Does Ford even make a blank template to cover the hole? Unless you are planing on cutting a piece of sheetmetal and tacking it in place, then painting it, I would leave it the way it is.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What are you planing on replacing it with? Does Ford even make a blank template to cover the hole? Unless you are planing on cutting a piece of sheetmetal and tacking it in place, then painting it, I would leave it the way it is.
I don't plan on replacing it with anything. I'd like to take it off and plug in some of the remaining tiny holes where the wires used to go through. I'm thinking of painting it over or something. Highly doubt anyone has pictures of what everything looks like once you take it off, but I'd like know if someone has tried it and share it. I'm going to guess no that Ford doesn't offer that since not many people would even bother messing with it, but I'm that one person that would love to get rid of it since it's broken.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I'd like to take it off and plug in some of the remaining tiny holes where the wires used to go through. I'm thinking of painting it over or something.
I really don't want to sound mean, but that idea sounds a lot better in your head, then it will look if you try it.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Unless you do it right by having it bondo'd in and painted over like people do with custom cars when they shave door handles or antennas, it will look like crap. There's just not a cheap and easy way to do that that will look good. I'm guessing Interceptors just don't have the holes cut in their sheetmetal so it probably isn't as easy as buying a blockoff plate.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Have to remove the door panel then it unclips from the inside. As for covering the hole the best option appears to be a replacement keypad at $75...

Old 09-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just buy a replacement keypad.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,717 times
A replacement keypad would cost a lot less at a junkyard, and you would get the functionality back.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,615 times
this is what the back of the keypad looks like for a mid-late 90's vicky. That's going to be a pretty sizable hole
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Keypad on Ford Crown Victoria?-cv-door.jpg  

Old 05-04-2021, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
Default Replacement keyless entry door pad

I just wanted to add this here since I was in need of specific advice and could not find anything here or other forums.
My keyless entry door pad module for my 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis stopped working and I found a new OEM Pad for it from 1A Auto. I had to remove the door panel which you can find tons of videos on how to do that then I needed to reach up and pull the metal tab to my right. This hold the module secure to the door. It’s hard to see but it will be on the right side or the end with the 1/2 button is. Once that is removed go to the outside and slip it out and unplug the pigtail. If you purchased a brand new Ford module you just need to plug it in, slide it back into the door, slide the clip back in to secure the module to the door and reinstall the door panel. Your old master code and personal code(s) will work. It did for me. Unfortunately there was no information I could find to tell me this. I can confirm that for my vehicle the master code IS NOT printed on the module itself. I have my master code card still which I eventually found with some digging through old paperwork and out of desperation I tried the code with the new module and it worked. I then tried my personal code I picked and programmed when I purchased the car new and it also worked. So long story short this is a plug and play situation. I hope this helps others out there looking for this valuable information that seems to be found nowhere. If you buy a used one off eBay or elsewhere I suggest you specifically ask the seller if the master code is included with the module!!! Since I have no experience with this type of situation I cannot say if the used module will need its original master code or if your car’s codes will work. If I had to guess I would think your cars codes would work since all that information is stored in the ecm or brain of the vehicle. If anyone out there has ever purchased a used module and gotten it to work in their vehicle I ask that you post a comment in this discussion to help others that may need to know. I’m no professional but my husband and myself try to do any repairs we can ourselves. It saves quite a bit of $$. A new module cost me $124.00 shipped in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive