Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 02:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times

Advertisements

Get a new car?? Seriously, what is wrong with people. No dealership or manufacturer out there will replace the entire car because there is a problem with the radio. Just let Nissan swap out the radio and be done with it. What they should be able to do is give you a loaner so that they can take their time with the replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 PM

306 posts, read 365,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You must have missed the part where he explained how each radio and each card is tied to each vehicle.
No, I didn't miss it. Let's say the SD card got damaged/corrupted (or misplaced as in this scenario). Are you telling me the manufacturer of that radio system has no way of programming a new card to work with an existing system? That the only way to correct the situation is to replace it? BS. If they don't know how to do it, then they're talking to the wrong engineer.

Quote:
They aren't going to disable another perfectly good unit to "figure it out"
Why would it be disabled? If they can't get the new SD card to work, just put the old one back in.

Quote:
1. That won't teach them anything
Um, it'll teach them how to solve the problem the next time someone has a problem with it.

Quote:
2. It would mean another car down that they can't sell.
Sure, it'll be down for maybe an hour when they try to solve the issue.

Quote:
The only option is to get the factory to clone a radio that will work with his specific car.
You keep believing that because the dealer says so.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
No, I didn't miss it. Let's say the SD card got damaged/corrupted (or misplaced as in this scenario). Are you telling me the manufacturer of that radio system has no way of programming a new card to work with an existing system? That the only way to correct the situation is to replace it? BS. If they don't know how to do it, then they're talking to the wrong engineer.
I don't have to tell you. Nissan and this dealer is. And I although I do not own a new Maxima and have not experienced this problem, I do know that replacement radios for certain new vehicles are hard to get and have to be ordered from the factory because of anti theft provisions that keep them from being left laying around in stock by dealers to quickly replace. So this "BS" as you call it seems reasonable to me.
Quote:
Why would it be disabled? If they can't get the new SD card to work, just put the old one back in.
You don't go monkeying around with anti theft devices on cars like that if you aren't sure how they work which apparently, this dealer doesn't which is why they tried other means to fix it his car to no avail.
Quote:
Um, it'll teach them how to solve the problem the next time someone has a problem with it.
The only way to solve it is to order a new radio and wait. And hope they never receive an incomplete unit ever again.
Quote:
Sure, it'll be down for maybe an hour when they try to solve the issue.
Have you ever taken apart the dash in one of those cars? Probably more than an hour, and even still you don't break down a good unit to play with it and learn. You call Nissan's techline and let their engineers tell you how to fix the one broken car. EDIT: IDC if it takes five minutes to get to the radio. That just means it might only take five minutes to brick another radio or break a trim piece, or just prove that another fooling with another vehicle doesn't help the situation which they already know.
Quote:
You keep believing that because the dealer says so.
Yeah man, it is a big conspiracy they have to **** him off and hope he gives them a bad survey and go around telling everyone how bad it is because he can't fully enjoy his brand new car he just bought. They have an easy solution, they are just holding out for the lulz.

Last edited by Tourian; 09-09-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 04:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
A quick Google search shows that Nissan ties SD cards to specific head units, and missing SD cards make it a huge PITA on owners.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Get what you pay for. I say leave the car and take a loaner. Miss a payment and the chain wants to take the car back so why not get what you paid for?

Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM

419 posts, read 626,000 times
radio head unit replacement is not labor intense work, should be easy swap no worry OP.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,101,553 times
But can't this affect the PCM? (All fun & games until the brain box goes out) HATE PCM issues.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:57 AM

306 posts, read 365,207 times
Quote:
The only way to solve it is to order a new radio and wait. And hope they never receive an incomplete unit ever again.
Post #12 from Nissan Murano Forum

"So there is lots of misinformation about these SD cards. Here are the facts:

The SD hardware is married to the HeadUnit, it cannot be unmarried or be used in a different unit.

The Headunit DOES NOT need to be replaced to replace the card.

If the dealer cannot find the original SD card. Have them pay for an updated one from navigation.com
You will need to supply your HeadUnit ID number when ordering and they will burn you a new one which will have the right serial to be married to your headunit.

That is how updates are done. i.e. you buy a new SD card with updated map and supply them with the headunit serial so the proper one is send out.

Most people have been unsuccessful in copying the cards and using a backup one in the car. This is possible if you have good linux dd skills and understand file system layouts."

That poster mentions linux and the dd command. I'll bet he's right.

Quote:
Have you ever taken apart the dash in one of those cars? Probably more than an hour, and even still you don't break down a good unit to play with it and learn.
Read the rest of the posts in the link I posted. SD card is accessible (glovebox) without taking apart anything. Moot point now I guess after reading the other link. A new image needs to be burnt and the dealer unlikely has the software to do it.

Quote:
or break a trim piece
Or put it back together incorrectly so it squeaks/rattles/whatever. You just made my point. I wouldn't let them take anything apart if they don't have to.

Quote:
Yeah man, it is a big conspiracy they have to **** him off and hope he gives them a bad survey and go around telling everyone how bad it is because he can't fully enjoy his brand new car he just bought. They have an easy solution, they are just holding out for the lulz.
No conspiracy, just incompetence as I mentioned before. Crappy/lazy techs don't know how to troubleshoot or diagnose problems. Their solution is to replace parts until the problem goes away.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:57 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
No, your wife experienced bad service. This dealer got an incomplete/defective car from the factory, they didn't build it. They are not going to give him a "free car" because of that, they will fix it. If Nissan wants to give the dealer a free car to give to the customer for free, then that is something they might consider. But there are far more steps involved in that then somebody getting a service ticket comped.

Duh.. Isn't that what I said in my post. It's about paying for an incomplete and defective product. The example I am giving is that dealer has two business. Car sales and service. They make tons of money on car services in customer coming back. If you want Nissan to take care of an issue with a new car that may/may not be the fault of the dealership, you work with corporate. Service department gets paid by Nissan if it's not coming out of customer pocket. If they are absorbing or "comps" what you call it, is to keep to as a customer for there service.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
It's just a head unit? Let them replace it, take pictures of the dash before you take it in, when they're done take a hard look at the dash for scratches.

Rattles and whatnot are minor, and easily fixable with foam or returning to the dealer.

I drive a Nissan, it's a great vehicle but for the dealer device departments, which I haven't been to except for Warranty work in a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive