Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times

Advertisements

I don't think they were ever imported to the States, but I know in Britain you could buy the Soviet/Russian made small 4X4 that looks sort of like a Samuri. I can't recall which manufacturer or what they were/are named.

Not going to have any such new in the US anymore, due to Nanny State, but the old ones are out there, "it's not what you buy, it's what you build".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:51 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the Subaru BRAT was the Japanese version of the AMC Eagle great little ute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnkvtep9V8
I owned nearly every version of the AMC Eagle except the Kamback and the convertible.
The Subaru Brat had absolutely nothing in common with the AMC Eagle!
Actually the Eagle had a lot in common with the Jeep Cherokee and Wagoneer.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
you can get an idea of what people import / build at your local 'Mogfest'. Ours (PNW is great!)
NorthWest MogFest
https://www.flickr.com/groups/nwmf/pool/
a neighbor has a fleet of PINZGAUER's (not too small, but pretty agile)

Speaking of the 'eagle'. That was the "go to" vehicle for our frequent ICE storms when my renter had one. It would go amazing places that chained up 4x4 trucks struggled with.

the Dodge Raider was impressive looking, but troublesome (mitsu)

While in NZ this yr, several farmers had nearly identical Diesel 'Raider sized' Toyotas We got into some real 'messes' on the dairy farms. But these were very handy for farm use / spraying / cow / sheep trails.

Of course there is the Diesel Hilux (preferred by mercenaries everywhere (except USA))

Lots of NICE 4x4 diesel 'mini' Mini Vans too!

As mentioned.... the 'Nanny State' has protected US(a), from such 'fun' and useful vehicles.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-12-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,153 times
I think this is another area where vehicle technology has just come a long way. If you want a small off road capable, theres so many more custom options. You can build something from the ground up for a little to a lot more, but will be 10x better. And the Suzuki samurai was such a cheap lightweight vehicle I think now you are comparing that to something you could just 3D print, or to a side by side. The FJ cruiser didn't last long, and the Wrangler really has probably been one of the few vehicles that have stayed so similar for so long. Mitsubishi Raider was a lot like the samurai, but now they've given that name to a truck. The only real hope I have, (and I have never been a ford fan), would be for the new Bronco if that ever comes out. That new one is a great lookin vehicle.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't think they were ever imported to the States, but I know in Britain you could buy the Soviet/Russian made small 4X4 that looks sort of like a Samuri. I can't recall which manufacturer or what they were/are named.

Not going to have any such new in the US anymore, due to Nanny State, but the old ones are out there, "it's not what you buy, it's what you build".
Yes we had them up here in Canada till mid-late 90's the Lada Niva they were big as sceond winter vehciles or cheap fun off-road SUV's and did compete with the Samuri great for winter drving and had a huge cult follwing in Quebec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJSzaK543A

Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 AM

17,254 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Those Samurais are getting great money if they are in nice shape.....most got beaten into the ground

Old 09-13-2016, 12:10 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Crash safety regulations would make those vehicles much heavier. ATVs are the way to go now.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Crash safety regulations would make those vehicles much heavier. ATVs are the way to go now.
Yep, I have two of them. Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4X4. Both are street legal, one has been modified for two up.
great fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive