Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:46 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have 4 Mazda dealers within 50 miles of us.

Years ago our CEO and one of the directors were out looking at Porsche's. They went to the closest dealer and made an offer on two cars. The sales guy turned them down. The CEO told him, that is OK. This is the LA Metro area. Then he asked him how many Porsche dealers are in the LA Metro area? I personally know of four other dealers that are within an hour away from here.

They hopped into the car and left the dealership. Within 10 minutes the Sales guy called him back and said that they would make that deal on the two cars.

My thought: Offer what you want to pay for any car. If you have a solid offer and keep to your guns, the chances are you will get the car at that offer. Sure it won't work every time, but as an old rich friend used to say, "I can afford not to buy it."
I have a client that wanted a new Ferrari. Dealer wanted over sticker for a slightly used one. He balked as the car really wasn't anything special (common model). He went less than a mile down the road and bought a brand new Lamborghini instead. The Lambo ended up being more money also!

He texted the Ferrari salesman a picture of his new car later that day.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Dealer cost.....have him show you in the invoice. Maybe pay him $500 over if he is really helpful/sincere (yes, I know, that is an oxymoron--but you know what I mean). Otherwise, next dealer. Don't play games with these guys. Here's the price, one time, it is NOT negotiable.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:48 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Dealer cost.....have him show you in the invoice. Maybe pay him $500 over if he is really helpful/sincere (yes, I know, that is an oxymoron--but you know what I mean). Otherwise, next dealer. Don't play games with these guys. Here's the price, one time, it is NOT negotiable.
The invoice price isn't the end all - dealers still make money outside of that. Holdback, meeting sales figures, etc. I've paid 7% under invoice for my last 2 Jeeps with zero negotiation. I was looking at a pickup a few weeks ago for giggles and the dealer quoted me a price even lower than that right out of the gate. If you have a relationship with a dealer, that helps, otherwise, go for the higher volume dealerships - they're much more willing to deal.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
That's funny! Who do you think is coaching the sales rep?
Well see how fast that manager sends that rep to go chasing after you like a $3 ***** once you go for the door!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
That's what I do. I do my research and go into the dealership with the price in mind. Here's my offer. If you can honor it we have a deal. If not, no problem.

I dont have the time nor patience to spend half a day haggling.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is the way to negotiate the best price. Email is a "free sale" for the dealership. They might not make a killing but it is another unit sold at the end of the month. Some dealers appreciate it, some just want to get you in to wear you down.
That's what I don't understand about them. New car sales probably makes the least money at a dealership. Service makes much more money.

Why not get cars sold just to get them sold in order for the customer to come back for service? If you turn a customer off from sales, do you think they'll come back for service even if they did buy from you?

High volume and low margin would gain them more customers than low volume and high margin. It's really short term thinking.

I know that dealers also get holdbacks and some manufacturers offer another kickback for X number of units sold per month.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Been shopping for a Mazda3...

Now, of course, I call the dealer...

I told the FOOL...

I told him...

Lucky salesman. He managed to get out of selling you a car at zero profit, spending a Saturday showing you every feature and button instead of selling a profitable deal, and then getting creamed on his customer satisfaction survey when you act like this.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Been shopping for a Mazda3 hatch 6spd, they are having a good discount on the 2016s as the 2017s are coming out in a few weeks. Now, the only reason I would go for a '16 is due to the big discount as the new 3 is better in every way... LED headlights, interior redesign, G Vectoring control, full color HUD, some exterior tweaks and not to mention that I can choose my preferred colors as opposed to settling for what is in stock.

Now, of course, I call the dealer and what does he tell me... these cars are very rare so I need to pay sticker, there is a line of people waiting for buy them as there are only 2 manual transmissions in the entire west coast

I told the FOOL that it is a Mazda 3 not a Mercedes SLS to be so "rare"!!! If the stock is depleted now then wait a month and there will be plenty more!!

I told him good for him, he can sell it for sticker to some other fool, I will just buy a 2017 I can wait a month for the new models to arrive and I do not mind paying a few hundred dollars more to get a much more refreshed model. He told me my reasoning is flawed.

Does this make much business sense? They were ready to sell it to me for invoice about 2 months ago but I was still deciding then, now when I am ready the price has gone up to MSRP. Why? Because it's the last of the 2016s? Isn't that backwards? It should be clearance pricing not price going up?
Car dealers are the lowest. Do NOT believe anything they say and make sure everything is in writing and clearly spelled out. You can easily find out if the car you want is available. Do a car search online. For the last couple of cars I bought I emailed every dealer within 100 miles for the car I wanted at the price I wanted. I told them the price I would pay and it included ALL fees except tax and registration. I bought two cars that were at dealers 100 miles from our house. I only had to go to the dealers once to sign papers and see the vehicle. One was a new car so it was ready for us that day. The other was certified used and needed servicing before we could take it but the dealer drove it to us a few days later. These days you can easily play one dealer against the other over the internet so you do not have to fall for this line. Tell him no and start emailing other dealers. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Lucky salesman. He managed to get out of selling you a car at zero profit, spending a Saturday showing you every feature and button instead of selling a profitable deal, and then getting creamed on his customer satisfaction survey when you act like this.
Dude, nobody sells stuff at zero profit. What part of "model end clearance pricing" don't you get? Are you a car salesman? Everyone is doing model year end clearance and this clown of a dealership is doing MSRP...don't you think that is ridiculous? If they are charging MSRP then why even do a model end clearance, just get the latest model which comes out in a month... there is no point unless there are heavy discounts, it is expected..infact that is the definition of a CLEARANCE!!!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:
Dude, nobody sells stuff at zero profit. What part of "model end clearance pricing" don't you get? Are you a car salesman? Everyone is doing model year end clearance and this clown of a dealership is doing MSRP...don't you think that is ridiculous? If they are charging MSRP then why even do a model end clearance, just get the latest model which comes out in a month... there is no point unless there are heavy discounts, it is expected..infact that is the definition of a CLEARANCE!!!
I just don't understand why you get so worked up over it. You want to pay a price that is less than the price that they want to sell it to you for. No transaction; move on. It's just business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive