Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I did it several times, just make sure there is no prepaym not penalty on the written agreement small print. They will not be happy about it, in fact I would take it to a different dealer for warranty repairs or service.
I doubt the people in the service department are going to know what kind of deal the buyer got, or their financing/payment terms, without looking it up in the dealership's records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I paid cash when I bought my 07 Camry new .

The salesman actually begged me to do dealer financing and stated I could do just as you suggested.

I refused because I wanted no lien....ever...on this car.
What is the advantage to you by not ever having a lien by you paying it off in days/weeks? Regardless, once the balance is "$0", the car is YOURS.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
It shouldn't be necessary to play that game. I would simply ask for the sales manager, tell him/her that I was quoted a certain price if I financed, but I don't want to, and ask if they want to sell me the car for that money or see me walk out the door. I did that one time, and the next day they called and said, "come get your car."

There are too many dealers out there and one will take the deal, believe me.

Don

Old 09-16-2016, 04:23 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It shouldn't be necessary to play that game. I would simply ask for the sales manager, tell him/her that I was quoted a certain price if I financed, but I don't want to, and ask if they want to sell me the car for that money or see me walk out the door. I did that one time, and the next day they called and said, "come get your car."

There are too many dealers out there and one will take the deal, believe me.

Don
Did that more than once and they never went for the cash deal.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:45 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I read that ou should make payments at least for the first 3 months...which speaks to the above post.
Mae

Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
When I bought my last truck, they offered $1500 off if I used GMAC financing. I did, then paid it off as soon as I got the payment book. No penalties and the dealer didn't seem to care either (I told them my plans when I was buying the truck).

Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
When I bought my wife's Lexus, I wanted to pay it full with a bank check. Salesmen insisted that it was easier I finance it and pay it off in 1 day. He offered no incentive/discount for me to do so, so I just payed with a bank check because I did not want to go through the extra hassle of filling out financing paperwork. I just wanted to give the check and leave.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:20 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I doubt the people in the service department are going to know what kind of deal the buyer got, or their financing/payment terms, without looking it up in the dealership's records.
If it's a decent sized dealer, then no chance, they care one way or the other about any part of the purchase transaction. They make most of their money off the service piece anyway.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:32 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I paid cash when I bought my 07 Camry new .

The salesman actually begged me to do dealer financing and stated I could do just as you suggested.

I refused because I wanted no lien....ever...on this car.
This seems a bit short-sighted if there were additional discounts available for using dealer financing. In the days of higher interest rates, there was often a 0% financing or $4k cash back on yyy model. Now in this low interest world we live in, the delta is not often as great.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm shopping for a new car. I can pay cash for it. I've been playing the dealers against each other. I got a great offer from one dealer that is contingent on dealer financing. I'm considered getting the financing so I get that great price and then paying off the note within a week or so.

Is there any reason why I can't do this?
All you have to do is make sure that there's no penalty for prepayment.
I've done this a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive