U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

25,211 posts, read 31,409,583 times

Advertisements

Some drivers would say that the United States is a crazy quilt of speed limits, with an emphasis on the "crazy."

Since 1995, states have been free to set their own maximum speed limits, leading to long debates on safety standards. To some folks, the speed limits are just insane -- either too low or too high, depending on their views about what makes driving safe.

States where you can drive fast - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM

91 posts, read 286,200 times
Quote:
To some folks, the speed limits are just insane -- either too low or too high, depending on their views about what makes driving safe.
I think some people just want to drive fast and they don't care about safety. I have found that if I drive 4 miles over the speed limit, people zip by me and I have the lanes all to my self. Unless it is stop and go traffic, and then people do the surge..hurry to slam on their brakes.

Morning traffic makes one think "Why do people drive like bats out of hell to go some place they really don't want to be?"

Old 02-23-2008, 01:25 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,868,153 times
Coming home tonight there is a strech of I25 that is 75mph. Felt great to set 80 on the cruise and just roll.

With the way gas prices are I say raise the limit. People are going to be so worried about spending the extra three bucks to speed....they won't! And maybe they will get out of the left lane

Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,832,237 times
There is only one place I can tell you to NEVER speed in and that is INDIANA! I have had about 8 speeding tickets in my life and 3 of them were in that state- a state I have never lived in! And they are sneaky bastards there- the cops will actually roll up on you in unmarked vehicles that don't even look like cop cars! I mean Corollas and pickups! And they will laser you from that vehicle and then radio to a "stop vehicle" to take you down. I do not even try to speed there anymore. On the other hand, Georgia is kind of like "anything under 100 is OK with us".

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,868,153 times
WOW! That is something else! Glad to see they are focusing so hard on taking down a criminal such as yourself !

:rollseyes:

Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 PM

36,617 posts, read 57,924,947 times
Sorry, gonna have to call BS. They cannot laser you while moving. The gun has to be stationary and it has to be pointed at specific (namely, reflective) targets on the vehicle, such as a headlight cluster or the license plate. You can't do that in a rolling vehicle. The technology to do rolling laser is coming, but it's not on the market yet. So in the meantime, even a halfway decent radar detector ought to protect against stealth Corollas with radar (not laser) guns.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,396,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
On the other hand, Georgia is kind of like "anything under 100 is OK with us".
KevK, that's because GA law enforcement is too busy ticketing trucks for the idiotic (and dangerous) lane restrictions (ESPECIALLY on I-285...)

Heck, you can drive as fast as you want in ANY state; just don't get caught.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 PM

20 posts, read 38,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Linna View Post
Morning traffic makes one think "Why do people drive like bats out of hell to go some place they really don't want to be?"
because we all dread it and are always late for it

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 AM

1,565 posts, read 3,004,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There is only one place I can tell you to NEVER speed in and that is INDIANA! I have had about 8 speeding tickets in my life and 3 of them were in that state- a state I have never lived in! And they are sneaky bastards there-
How I feel about Ohio! 3 out of 8 tickets and I never lived there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive