Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,059,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
While I'm perfectly content to drive a vehicle myself (I much prefer to drive than to ride) I find the notion that anyone's 'self-respect' hinges on driving to be inane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
They're for lazy people who already hate driving and see it as a chore. Any self-respecting car guy would NEVER own one.
he even highlighted CAR GUY

if you are "CONTENT to drive a vehicle yourself" you are not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 8,666 times
I agree with the people saying just call a cab. Be a heck of alot cheaper in the overall scheme, for someone who doesn't wanna drive I mean. No car insurance, no gas station stops, no maintenance bills. I seriously wish i lived somewhere that i could just ride a bike or moped everywhere, because I would never even need a car.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:54 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVZDAD View Post
I agree with the people saying just call a cab. Be a heck of alot cheaper in the overall scheme, for someone who doesn't wanna drive I mean. No car insurance, no gas station stops, no maintenance bills. I seriously wish i lived somewhere that i could just ride a bike or moped everywhere, because I would never even need a car.
between the privacy and convenience that's not gonna happen, and by the time this technology comes out, I'm sure most if not all of these will be electric anyways.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:14 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,237,425 times
One of the two big thrusts will be trucks which are not going electric any time soon. And one of the thrusts in trucks will be to make it a retrofit kit.

Agree though that the taxis and hire cars will go electric.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:51 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,878,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
There are 9 million motorcycles registered in the U.S.
Good luck getting bikers to go along with this.
When was the last time you heard that a texting biker T-Boned a Prius and killed its occupants?

Old 10-01-2016, 04:55 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,878,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
One of the two big thrusts will be trucks which are not going electric any time soon. And one of the thrusts in trucks will be to make it a retrofit kit.

Agree though that the taxis and hire cars will go electric.
There will be no "retrofitting" going on. It will be way easier to just build an autonomous truck than to try and make a 'normal' one autonomous capable. IF there is anything retrofitted to regular vehicles it will be of the "enhanced cruise control" variety rather than all out self-driving capability.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There will be no "retrofitting" going on. It will be way easier to just build an autonomous truck than to try and make a 'normal' one autonomous capable. IF there is anything retrofitted to regular vehicles it will be of the "enhanced cruise control" variety rather than all out self-driving capability.
Not true. One of the major autonomous truck development operation is going entirely retrofit. I think virtually impossible on a car. However it is the primary way it is done on agricultural vehicles. And trucks are worth enough and long lived enough to make it worth doing.

I would think it may well turn out to be the main source of autonomous trucks.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
When was the last time you heard that a texting biker T-Boned a Prius and killed its occupants?
It's not about that. It's about Safety Nazis wanting to ban non-autonomous vehicles.
Motorcycles are never going to be autonomous and Biker Guy will never go along with restrictions.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,258,626 times
In case no one noticed. there was a very serious (1 fatality) accident in the Hoboken Rail Terminal of New Jersey Transit on Friday (9/30); the portion between the far (west) portal of a tunnel feeding into the terminal complex and the and of track at the Hudson's edge is under control of a highly-sophisticated system, one which employs at least a second level of redundancy and electrical relays to prevent a collision, and the highly-vaunted "Positive Train Control" system has been installed (though it was acknowledged to be in need of extensive refinement due to outdated circuitry).

The point being: "If any number of possible threats are recognized, but not immediately addressable due to real-world constraints) how can we ever expect technology to develop a "seamless" system with the much wider scope needed for adaptation to even only the most intensely-used portions of our highways?"

Old 10-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
In case no one noticed. there was a very serious (1 fatality) accident in the Hoboken Rail Terminal of New Jersey Transit on Friday (9/30); the portion between the far (west) portal of a tunnel feeding into the terminal complex and the and of track at the Hudson's edge is under control of a highly-sophisticated system, one which employs at least a second level of redundancy and electrical relays to prevent a collision, and the highly-vaunted "Positive Train Control" system has been installed (though it was acknowledged to be in need of extensive refinement due to outdated circuitry).

The point being: "If any number of possible threats are recognized, but not immediately addressable due to real-world constraints) how can we ever expect technology to develop a "seamless" system with the much wider scope needed for adaptation to even only the most intensely-used portions of our highways?"
I believe they have been debating putting that stretch of track under positive (read GPS) control for 40 years. Never got around to it. Poor lady waiting on the station wishes they had.

It is amazing. Both NJ and Philly. And the one in the northern suburbs of NYC.

You would think the leadership of the east coast would work it out. Good thing the autonomous vehicles will come from the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive