Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, you could.
However, let's take the example of one of my previous leases.

Good old GM set the residual too high.
So $105k car. They set the residual at $65k after 36 months.
So I paid the depreciation and a little interest.
At the end of 36 months, turns out the car was worth $49k.

So....I buy the car at $105k and sell it for $49k...losing $56k? (provided I could even get full $49k on trade in)

Or...I pay the depreciation and OOPS, if they are wrong, that's THEIR problem? That's $16k of NOT MY PROBLEM. Plus...whoosh...off disappears the car without any muss, fuss, or hassle on my part.

Next time around, they set the residual...too low. True story. Backlash from eating it on leases of previous years. Oh, crap. Now I have equity in the car. Either I buy it from them from the too low price and sell it at a profit OR I just get out of it early (before the owe me money) and a get a new car early (the option I chose).

If you have an ounce of savvy, it can really work out better than buying.
I've made that exact same point two or three times in this thread, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,551,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
My point is, you could buy new and trade every time the warranty runs out and get the same result. You don't have to lease.

Yes, but when you buy the monthly payments are higher. I looked at both leasing and buying my current vehicle. Leasing is the much less expensive option if planning to keep the vehicle for 30-36,000 miles.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:52 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've made that exact same point two or three times in this thread, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
You said the same could be accomplished with just buying or selling.
My point is that often you can come out ahead by leasing instead.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM

8,020 posts, read 3,589,957 times
Quote:
Actually, you could.
However, let's take the example of one of my previous leases.

Good old GM set the residual too high.
So $105k car. They set the residual at $65k after 36 months.
So I paid the depreciation and a little interest.
At the end of 36 months, turns out the car was worth $49k.

So....I buy the car at $105k and sell it for $49k...losing $56k? (provided I could even get full $49k on trade in)

Or...I pay the depreciation and OOPS, if they are wrong, that's THEIR problem? That's $16k of NOT MY PROBLEM. Plus...whoosh...off disappears the car without any muss, fuss, or hassle on my part.

Next time around, they set the residual...too low. True story. Backlash from eating it on leases of previous years. Oh, crap. Now I have equity in the car. Either I buy it from them from the too low price and sell it at a profit OR I just get out of it early (before the owe me money) and a get a new car early (the option I chose).

If you have an ounce of savvy, it can really work out better than buying.

Well, while you clearly benefit in the case of the inflated residual, in the second example, it is really just recovering your money. The residual was set too low, so the lease payments were higher, and you gained equity.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,514,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, while you clearly benefit in the case of the inflated residual, in the second example, it is really just recovering your money. The residual was set too low, so the lease payments were higher, and you gained equity.
I think that is a fair way to look at it. Leasing sets your downside risk. If the OEM sets the residual too high, you paid less than the actual depreciation of the vehicle during that time (that happened on my recent CMAX Energi lease). If the dealer sets the residual too low, then your monthly payments are higher, but you benefit from added equity at the end of the transaction. Given the interest rates on leases are fairly close to purchase interest rates, there is not much risk in overpaying on the financing piece, maybe if the lease had a $2K lease turn in fee or something. But I am not seeing a whole lot of downside to the leasing concept.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Quote:
You said the same could be accomplished with just buying or selling.
My point is that often you can come out ahead by leasing instead.
You will almost always come out ahead leasing if your goal is to get a new car every two or three years. I've already stated that.

The point of my post was to refute a claim that you have to lease in order to always have a car under warranty.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 PM

50,190 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Out of warranty cost for replacing a Subaru CVT is closer to $8k.
It was only $2200 for my Acura But I was already payment-free for several years by then. I got 8 payment-free years out of my Baby after the loan was paid off.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,741,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
But I am not seeing a whole lot of downside to the leasing concept.
There's as much downside to leasing as there is to buying, it just comes in different ways. It's simply a different way to acquire and drive a vehicle. It's not for everyone, but if you fit within certain parameters (such as knowing you'll want a new car every 2-3 years, OK with always having a car payment, even a small one, don't drive an absurdly large amount), it's a viable option that should be explored without any pre-conceived notions or without silly blankets statements like "leasing is fleecing!" or "leasing is ALWAYS a bad deal."

Old 09-26-2016, 06:10 PM

8,809 posts, read 15,246,898 times
Quote:
My current car they offered me 7.5k miles a year, but 10k was only 30 bucks more a month, so I just did that.
Turns out I'm only averaging about 5800 miles a year.

But I have multiple cars.
Thanks. We are considering getting a new car, but leasing hasn't really been on our radar. We drive between 3,000 and 6,000 miles per year, depending on the car and its usage.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 AM

17,004 posts, read 21,686,573 times
Leasing guarantees your vehicle costs for the set terms (years/miles). You know to the penny what the car will cost you before you drive off the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive