Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM

557 posts, read 606,623 times

Advertisements

What advantages are there to leasing a car? I've always thought leases were for people that couldn't afford to buy a car, and that they aren't a smart financial decision. But almost every successful person I know leases a car, vs buying it, so there has to be some sort of financial advantage to it, and I am not smart enough to figure it out. I've also always assumed I drive too much to lease a car (18,000 or so a year), but I've found out you can structure leases for that amount of mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:28 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Do a forum search, this topic has been raised, debated, beaten half to death, hung, drawn and quartered, tortured, run over, backed up and run over again, and then beaten some more.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 AM

557 posts, read 606,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Do a forum search, this topic has been raised, debated, beaten half to death, hung, drawn and quartered, tortured, run over, backed up and run over again, and then beaten some more.
What is wrong with a few more punches?

I'll run a search.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Typically leasing a car allows you to drive a more expensive vehicle than you could otherwise afford, since you're just paying for the depreciation on the car, instead of actually owning it. It also means you get a new car every three years or so.

Which is great, if driving a nice new car is important to you. If not, it's usually a better financial move to buy a car.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Some cars are much better not being owned out of warranty.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Leasing makes sense for some people.

For example, my neighbor who is a Realtor leases a new Infinity SUV. He needs to exude success to his clients and he can write off the expense on his taxes.

For most individuals, they lease once and then never again.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
For example, my neighbor who is a Realtor leases a new Infinity SUV. He needs to exude success to his clients and he can write off the expense on his taxes

Perfect example of when leasing makes sense.

There are other examples of when it doesn't.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
I want my wife to be in the latest car with the latest safety equipment or tech, with a warranty so *I* don't have to work on it. One that is still something that she enjoys driving and can use for her business so the lease costs can at least partially be written off on taxes. So we've leased her last two cars (MINI Coopers) and will probably lease again when this lease is up (she wants an EV next).

EVs are another good lease candidate as they will be "interesting' to work on out of warranty, and the tech is advancing so rapidly that they become outdated pretty quickly and thus harder to resell later. It's why I leased my Volt.

I've leased, financed, and purchased outright various cars over the years, depending on what was the best option at the time. There is no one answer that works in every situation unless you are wealthy enough to pay cash for ANY car on the market.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Maybe more successful people lease because of the ridiculously high down payment.

Doesn't make sense to me. Put down a lot of money, pay almost as much every month, and then you don't own the car after 3 years

Old 09-23-2016, 08:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Maybe more successful people lease because of the ridiculously high down payment.

Doesn't make sense to me. Put down a lot of money, pay almost as much every month, and then you don't own the car after 3 years
If you're paying a down payment, you're doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive