Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:24 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Honestly in the current environment I don't see much reason to go with outside financing. Almost all of the OEM's are offering 0% financing on many of their vehicles. Even where they are not the rates are very low.
The advantage is that if you take the financing off the table all you have to negotiate is price. So you work out the best cash deal possible, then see if they can offer financing that's more competitive than what you've arranged ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 01:37 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Wife is looking to get into a new car. Unsure yet which car but she appears to have her heart set on a Jeep Renegade. I recently bought a car the traditional way, meaning I went to the dealership and spent hours there while financing was sought and approved. She wants to do something different and have financing pre arranged before she even steps foot at a dealership. The thing is that neither one of us has ever done pre arranged financing before so we wanted to now how it works.

I know when you do it the old school way like I did the dealership tells the bank exactly how much of a loan I need for the vehicle which includes taxes and registration. If you go get a car loan yourself, how do they know how much to loan you to cover all the fees?

Thanks in advance
Never spend hours there. If you know ahead of time what you can get from a credit union, leverage the dealer to beat it. Currently (depending on your credit and location of course) Renegade has 0% available for up to 72 months.
My personal method of buying new cars is to know what I want before I get there, verify the one on the lot that I want with a test drive, and then sit down to make my offer. My offer is always the same.

1. I pay invoice less any applicable rebates.
2. I get the best preferred rate (0% for as long as you need to finance)
3. I will take it home today.
4. Give me the credit app to fill out while you go get approval from manager.
5. Bring back a copy of invoice with agreed upon price signed by manager.

If they comply I give perfect 10's on their customer satisfaction survey and have a car within an hour. If they balk, I walk. Usually takes 15 minutes to have a deal and then another 30 to pick it up later today.

Last edited by Rynldsbr; 09-23-2016 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: readability

Old 09-23-2016, 01:41 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I recently bought a car the traditional way, meaning I went to the dealership and spent hours there while financing was sought and approved.

Why would you have to spend hours there? That's ridiculous. Either you are being jerked around and should leave, or your credit sucks, and/or you are trying to carry too much negative equity and you've got no business trying to buy what you are buying. IF they can't come back with a reasonable offer within ~10 minutes after you've sat down to the table, it is time to leave.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:48 PM

271 posts, read 566,449 times
I went to a Honda dealership with a loan set up with lightstream (2.39% 5 yrs). I went back and forth with the sales manager on price and he finally said he'll give me my price if i finance through honda (same rate). I agreed and it turned out that they were able to get me a better rate (2.04%) at the price I wanted.

What's the lesson here? Go in with your own financing but let them offer to match or beat the rate you are locked in at (after you agree to a price).

Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Definitely go in with your financing taken care of ahead of time but also give the dealer a chance to beat that rate. It might surprise you what they can do.

A lot of the manufacturers are getting aggressive with their rates. I guess they keep the money "in house" that way.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
It's a great idea and you may save lots of money going with your own financing. You will know in advance what your interest rate and terms will be and you can compare that with what the dealer is offering.
My Dad was a dealer and take my word for it financing is just another way for the dealer to make money with discounts and such.
The "Finance Manager" in most cases is also supposed to sell you ups such as extended warranties, alarms and many other things. All additional profits.
Oh, and dealer doc fees?? Tell them you won't pay them! It's just additional profit of some $350-$700 and it's not required by law as they will tell you in some cases.

And another way to save money.
Drive the car you want, submit your credit info and such and then walk, even if you want the car. Believe me they will call you many times trying to save the deal. When they stop calling you know what you could have bought the car for and you can go get it. It's hard to walk away from a new car but try it!

Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
The bigger dealerships will already have established relationships with most banks/credit unions. Just get pre-approved first and normally you don't even need a check from your bank. The finance dept at the car dealer will be able to view your preapproved ammount and rate on their computer. They will try to match or beat the rate.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:11 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Never spend hours there. It's just no longer necessary.

Each of the last three cars I bought I did the negotiating, arrangement of financing, trade evaluations and offers, and agreeing to a deal all without being at the dealer in person. I visit the sales department for 1) test drives, 2) final signatures and taking delivery.

Of course, you have to know what you want, what it is worth, and what the deal should be. Then, stick to it.

If they want to hold you hostage in a cubicle, buy from another dealer.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have always done that, but about 75% of the time, the dealer offers better financing.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:34 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I've had price and financing all settled before heading to a dealer and still had the process take hours. Frustrating to say the least especially when buying out of town/state. One case where their printer was on the fritz and other paperwork nonsense, and another where they hadn't prepped the car yet and it needed a brake job bad so they were rushing to get that and some other stuff done last minute even though they had a good week's notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive