Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times

Advertisements

I have lost/misplaced the only key I had for my 98 Explorer. The dealer says Ford does not make keys for models older than 10 years old. What are my options? I have been told that locksmiths can make chipped keys from scratch. My question is how? Do they have to change the entire ignition switch assembly? I am just lucky I had the code for the door keypad, otherwise the problem would have been a lot more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
First you will need to get the key code from Ford. The parts or service manager at the dealership should be able to get this for you from the VIN.

Then you will need to find a locksmith who can make a key from the code rather than copying another key. Not all of them can, but they're not hard to find.

They chipped key blank may have to come from Ford as some locksmiths don't keep chipped keys on hand.

I'm not sure how sophisticated these older chipped keys are. On newer models you would have to program the new key to the vehicle, but I'm not sure if that's the case on your vehicle. The service guy at the dealership should be able to tell you if you don't get an answer here.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
with the Y/M/M information and having the "key code", you can call your local locksmith shops and they can tell you if they have the equipment/blanks to make the new key for you.

On a '98, full-service locksmith shops should have no difficulty making a key for you.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
According to several on-line key code web sites, a 98 Explorer key is a "transponder" key. Since OP has no existing valid keys, this means even if he gets the cutting code from a dealer, based on the VIN, and has a locksmith cut a "chipped" transponder key blank, OP will still have to have a dealer program the car to accept the new key's PIN code (which is what is embedded in the chip).

In some cases, when an owner lose the very last key, the car has to be towed to a dealer for this programming.

If OP still had 2 valid keys, he or the locksmith could use the vehicles on-board programming process to validate a new key.

BTW, it is a common misconception that the keys are "programmed". It is really the other way round. The key has a embedded PIN number, and the car's computer must be "programmed" to accept that PIN number.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When I bought my Challenger there was only one, but I paid the $200+ for a second. So far it's not been needed but it's relatively cheap insurance if the original gets lost or damaged. Look also on EBay, people sell such things all the time, and the dealer should be able to program it into the car's computer.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Yes you can go to a full service locksmith and they can make a key for your 1998 Ford Explorer. I should know as I am a Locksmith. I worked in a full service locksmith shop until 1998 where I became an institutional locksmith at a hospital. They can either come to you or have the Explorer towed over to them.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I should know as I am a Locksmith.
CD never disappoints!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
According to several on-line key code web sites, a 98 Explorer key is a "transponder" key. Since OP has no existing valid keys, this means even if he gets the cutting code from a dealer, based on the VIN, and has a locksmith cut a "chipped" transponder key blank, OP will still have to have a dealer program the car to accept the new key's PIN code (which is what is embedded in the chip).

In some cases, when an owner lose the very last key, the car has to be towed to a dealer for this programming.

If OP still had 2 valid keys, he or the locksmith could use the vehicles on-board programming process to validate a new key.

BTW, it is a common misconception that the keys are "programmed". It is really the other way round. The key has a embedded PIN number, and the car's computer must be "programmed" to accept that PIN number.
I have to disagree. A GOOD locksmith has Ford security programming and can do it all. The one my shop contracts to can. We have NEVER towed the vehicle to the dealer for this.

Don in Austin

Old 09-29-2016, 07:20 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
First you will need to get the key code from Ford. The parts or service manager at the dealership should be able to get this for you from the VIN.

Then you will need to find a locksmith who can make a key from the code rather than copying another key. Not all of them can, but they're not hard to find.

They chipped key blank may have to come from Ford as some locksmiths don't keep chipped keys on hand.

I'm not sure how sophisticated these older chipped keys are. On newer models you would have to program the new key to the vehicle, but I'm not sure if that's the case on your vehicle. The service guy at the dealership should be able to tell you if you don't get an answer here.
We have had lots of keys made for Fords at my shop by our FULL SERVICE locksmith who has Ford key-making software and never had to go to the dealer for anything.

Don in Austin

Old 09-29-2016, 07:23 PM

I am going to find out for sure then do it later. It is rainy and miserable in the east this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive