Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
I have pictures of my car after accident. That is it. I don't even have a single piece of paper how it was fixed.

Does car fax list damage amount? How can you tell is damage was a scratch or a big hit on a carfax?

I mention car was parked as my old car I bought had count them, three accidents with another vehicle. My wife's SUV when parked someone backed into her, it was recorded I remember as slight different. As to imply and accident while parked is different than an accident when both cars are moving.

Pre-car fax I bought a station wagon at auction with 8,900 miles at a great price. Turns out it had two major accidents. Right after I bought it going 70mph a 4x4 on I95 came off truck bashed undercarriage of car a few times, blew out my rear tire. Replaced tire but did not fix damage. Car had the frame straightened twice and tons of dents under car with under 10K miles on odometer. Every time I got oil changed or something mechanic would call me in. Everytime it rained the radio stopped working for a few days. Turns out amp in the the rear left of car under power antenna got hit so hard it cracked its case and water would get in as the frame was off.

That car was also unsellabe. But at 34,000 miles got t-boned by a women in an SUV going 50mph, bent the frame again, popped out most of windshield, blew out side windows, even broke glove compartment door as car was dragged sideways for 20 feet. Guess what it started up and I drove it home. Tow truck driver was shocked when he came with flat bed it ran.
You know, if you like the car, if it works for you, maybe just keep it and drive it "till the wheels fall off". You might find an unsophisticated buyer who would not figure out about the crash, but that might take some doing.

I'm not certain about CarFax listing the dollar amount of a claim. You could sign up and query the system yourself if you are curious enough.

Certainly some of the options like heated seats to me at least are not something I would care about if I lived in Florida. A lot of the bells and whistles are cold-weather aids, heated mirrors, rear defrost, etc.

Sounds like you live in a part of Florida with a lot of really bad drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alices00ze View Post
For what its worth, my very well optioned well maintained 2008 Cadillac CTS was worth (according to KBB) about $15.5k trade in, Carmax offered me less than $8k back in December. Took me all of a week to sell it on Craigslist for 12k to the first guy who looked at it.
Cadillacs, especially the cars, take huge hits in depreciation, if you want to maximize what that car can do for you, you won't be selling it to Carmax.
Carmax doesn't want cars over 5 years old (makes financing/extended warranty sales tougher). With this amount of damage I would suspect that Carmax would decline the purchase or if they did take they would wholesale it.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:54 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I said 5K from the beginning and everybody laughed. We are getting there.
If I offered my mom's CTS privately for twice that, it would be gone before I got done writing the "F" on the For Sale sign.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
If you price it realistically it will sell quickly because of the mileage. Put it on craigslist. A Cadillac dealer will not want it on their lot because they can't sell it as certified pre owned.

Dealers around here are asking $14,000-$15,000 for 2011 CTS's with 60,000-70,000 miles. But those are asking prices that get negotiated down, and the dealers paid wholesale...I'm guessing $9,000-$10,000ish. I'm thinking your low mileage more than offsets the lack of options so you have a $10,000 wholesale car.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:20 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
They don't, and yet people still buy them in droves. So I guess Honda kind of knows what it is doing (the net goal for them is to sell cars)
Honda knows exactly what they're doing. I call it "the Harley Davidson syndrome". Selling a thoroughly mediocre product at inflated prices based on a carefully orchestrated marketing campaign. HD is a brilliant marketing company. Their motorcycles, when judged from a purely functional standpoint, are terrible. Similarly, Honda cars are nothing special, but many people seem to be willing to pay exorbitant prices based on a reputation for reliability from 20 years ago. I can tell you from personal experience that Hondas manufactured after circa 2000 are nothing special from a reliability standpoint. Kudos to Honda and HD for being able to pull this off. I, however, am not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Honda is still laughing all the way to the bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive