Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Actually want to be picky none on them are real 4x4s/SUVs as too big.

When I had my Wrangler and went off roading vehicles that size were banned lots of trails too wide and on the beach the long wheel base would get stuck like a see saw on a sand dune
Well, in your previous post you were clearly referring to being a "truck platform" body on frame as the requirement for being considered "real" as opposed to the car based unibody type crossover design of the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave/Traverse that replaced them.

What people try to do with them off the pavement is irrelevant. GM's current lineup of full size SUVS are real 4x4s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
My last automotive job was as a zone-service manager for Isuzu, i can tell you they're about 99% GMC envoy, swap the grille, bumper fascia, driver's airbag emblem & wheel-caps & that's about it. As far as service issues, not many - fuel level senders get wonky, there's a pcm-controlled cooling fan that should be swapped with the water pump at about 100k (not expensive, just a knuckle buster), ignition switches sometimes die & cause weird problems, & the trannies can die if they're abused or not maintained, but nothing particularly expensive, especially if you do some of your own repairs. I got my parents a deal on one of our last demos & it's still their favorite (primary) vehicle today, at about 130k miles, and I'm pretty sure dad is gonna go for 200k - still looks, runs & drives tight.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Actually want to be picky none on them are real 4x4s/SUVs as too big.

When I had my Wrangler and went off roading vehicles that size were banned lots of trails too wide and on the beach the long wheel base would get stuck like a see saw on a sand dune
I owned 3 SUVs that were 2WD, they did everything that I wanted. Some of us want a truck based vehicle for other reasons than going 4 wheeling.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Since they were only made 4 years, had a limited parts/service network, and now Isuzu has left the US market completely, I would be hesitant to consider buying one. They also has a 2012 recall for electrical parts causing fires.
the mechanicals are 100% gm - if you can get parts for a trailblazer or envoy, you can get parts for an ascender. In fact, in the event that the isuzu-unique grill & bumper fascia get discontinued, i'm pretty sure the envoy parts would fit. Any gm dealer can look up & order parts for an ascender, even if they don't know it.. i had to educate a parts guy here in phoenix about that. The vins are all loaded into gm's systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive